Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Let me get this straight (Psomething discussion)

Author Let me get this straight (Psomething discussion)
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-04-05 13:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The picture may not quite reflect the precise image of the phone in terms of looks and dimension, but I'm slightly leaning towards the X1.

I've never been a fan of windows and am still not but the X1 has exactly what I would have liked in the P series- the huge screen and a more sturdy slider in my opinion.

It's still too early to tell when it comes to this P series but I'm not warming up to it. Sure, it seems to be armed to the teeth in the specs department but it is a common slider- I personally dislike thos, I don't think they are durable enough.

I love UIQ but it looks like I may just be another WM man.

Pity really.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-05 13:37

On 2008-04-05 11:56:58, makbil wrote:

On 2008-04-05 02:10:34, PeterKay wrote:
no flip is something have listened to.

Ummm... Now, that is confusing. Do you actually mean that the P5 something is actually a true successor to P990, with flip and all??? Or is there another flip phone on the horizon?

I think he means that the disgarding of the flip is something SE users were asking for and that SE listened to? (Correct me if I'm wrong PK.)

Personally I hope the P series does do away with the flip, I would rather a slide formfactor with a fixed 5way dpad and softkeys, with the qwerty under a slider. P990 for example is very nice without the flip, but there is no dpad. To me even touchscreen smartphones should have dpads. 1. it's five way, 2. Either handed use (so lefthanders aren't robbed of the joy of using the phone) and 3. much better for games and navigation in more than simple list based environments
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-06 10:20
@max_wedge, it's best not to go there
The flip is an absolute necessity for some but not needed for others. I personally want the flip as I find it more convenient when used as a phone.
Ever since the P800 the flip has differentiated the P series from other smart phones, for that reason (as well as the keyboard form factor) the P1 is not regarded as the P990 successor by many.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-08 02:22
Are you sure though that a qwerty keyboard under a slide isn't more convenient than a flip? To me a slide is much more efficient use of space and convenience than a flip.

Personally I think SE will gain more users than they will lose if they move to a slide formfactor in preference to the older Candybar/flip form factor. One of the reasons I never considered P990, even before it was evident the problems it had, was the fact I had to choose between the beautiful minimalist design of the P990 without flip, against the extra bulk and clunkiness of the flip but the advantage of the 5 way controller. To me it was an unfair choice to be asked to make.

5 way controller, and qwerty kyb under the slide is a much more appealing formfactor for me. With touchscreen as well, the formfactor is perfect imho.
NoTnERb
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-08 04:27
yupyup, I didn't like the members who were furious, they were hot headed *no offense*, I'm still a die hard fan of SE, i know others are also. when x1 was released I jumped for joy and shouted so loud, x1 was so hot! can't wait for the p5!i'm sure it will bring nokia down to its knees! )
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-08 05:02

On 2008-02-19 18:50:30, ramintop wrote:

On 2008-02-19 18:42:12, PeterKay wrote:
no patience was the main issue.

ya everyone should have patience, and it is their mistakes they cant wait another year for the phone to be ANNOUNCED!

[ This Message was edited by: ramintop on 2008-02-19 17:51 ]

It's the me, me, me and I want it now generation. I am still a P fan and I just like my flip.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 09:15
@max_wedge, I'm not against slide-out keyboard form factor, in fact the bigger keyboard would definitely be an advantage. My reason for insisting on flip is the ease of use it provides. The next best form factor may be something like the HTC S730. The argument against this is that the bigger screen is sacrificed for the "phone" form factor. Nokia E90 may have the right idea after all with dual screen. Now take an E90, add a touch screen and let the keyboard have the ability to slide in when opened... Now that I could live with
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-08 10:52
but that's what I'm saying. Pics apparently of the P5 show it's a vertical slide, like N95 but thinner, and rumours suggest a P1 style qwerty instead of a regular number pad when the slide opens.
Trev1982
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 10:58
imo they should go back to the p910i design but loose the keypad/flip, a nice big huge screen, and at least 4 speakers they have room to do this, 3 inch screen wouldnt be a problem to,
BB 8120
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:45

On 2008-04-08 10:52:51, max_wedge wrote:
but that's what I'm saying. Pics apparently of the P5 show it's a vertical slide, like N95 but thinner, and rumours suggest a P1 style qwerty instead of a regular number pad when the slide opens.

This is not what I'm saying though. First of all, I'd rather have a full qwerty keyboard as a slide out, then I can use both thumbs very efficiently.
When used as a phone, the flip makes things much easier, I don't want to loose that ability. As I said, HTC may be on the road to get this right if not the P series flip.
laurenke01
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:47
If the rumors are true, there are UIQ "cousins" of the X1 meaning that down the road, you may get your UIQ side-slide.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:01
yep...they will be more "comunicator" style than Paris...but bigger
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
bcz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:33
bigger? as in bigger screen size ? more memory? and so on .. any more info about the "bigger" communicators that u can reveale ?
laurenke01
K790
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 19:47
There is no real info about these devices...but considering Xperia is a product line and not a single phone, X1-esque UIQ devices will come sooner or later.
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 22:14
Yes but the X1 is manufactured by HTC who have no experience with UIQ...
Don't tell me SE is going to get some design insight from X1 and use it for a UIQ3 off shoot
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi