Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
bider
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-08 10:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think that everyone who has X1 know, that earlier this year there was a leak of R3 firmware for xperia. It had new panel manager, "growing" panel, new Media Panel and some more new things. After short time Sony Ericsson have made R3 firmware available through SEUS, but there was only few bugs fixed and no sign of all the novelties from the leaked R3. How come the release name is the same? I think the answer is on the youtube video below... The quality is really poor, but I think it's "X2" Vulcan (i know it says so on the startup screen, but I'm speaking about the overal design of the handset). Wondering what is the firmware number? It's R3. I think that the ROM that has leaked earlier this year was just an early build for the Vulcan + WinMob 6.5. It's just an idea, but it might be the reason why the released R3 doesn't have all the novelties. The only problem is that the info tab still shows the old platform (MSM7200) I really hope they will use the hardware from the rumoured Rachael...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk329CfRCzw
Unofficial SonyEricssonClub.pl
T10 -> T65 -> T310 -> T610 -> T630 -> K700 -> P910 -> P990 -> P1i -> Xperia X1 + C702 -> Xperia X10 mini + Xperia X10!!!
What can I say... I'm maniac!!
MrMojo1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-07-22 23:25
Just saw some online news reports that SE will officially release "Rachel" as the X3 when it debuts!

If Rachel is X3, what ever happened to the X2 model??

Darn SE for confusing people with their "leaked" publicity stunts... um....news reports!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-23 14:03

On 2009-07-22 23:25:56, MrMojo1 wrote:
Just saw some online news reports that SE will officially release "Rachel" as the X3 when it debuts!

If Rachel is X3, what ever happened to the X2 model??

Darn SE for confusing people with their "leaked" publicity stunts... um....news reports!

Rachael is a Android device.
With new hardware. No keyboard.

X1 successor is "Vulcan", on WinMo.

Two different phones
a w a r e
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-23 14:16
Interestingly, "Rachel" has already appeared briefly for pre-order on Expansys - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07/22/android_expansys/ - Expansys have removed it now, but it does suggest that the Android handset may be making it to market sooner.

The Register are calling it the "X2" and inferring that Windows Mobile's been dropped for the Xperia line. Of course that may well be nonsense as we've all seen pictures of "Vulcan" in the wild, but then again, just because prototypes exist doesn't mean that an (as yet unnannounced) phone will actually be released. Just ask Paris.
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-07-24 14:31
Only £260 at the carphone warehouse http://www.carphonewarehouse.[....]tyle=All&sortBy=Price&start=60
[ This Message was edited by: 10123 on 2009-07-24 13:33 ]
nirave
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-24 14:56
Not anymore...

Gone to £500 now
Follow on twitter: @nirave
Mobile Industry Journalist & Founder of UK Mobile Review and MEA Mobile Review
Follow on twitter [url=h
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 13:30
ok this phone can now be had for about $470usd brand new, sim free.

what are peoples opinions on the phone now that its been out for a while. how is the phones speed with current firmware?

is it worth getting it at this price?

i know the touch diamond 2 can be had for a similar price, i dont think it offers that much more than the x1, considering its a much newer phone, i mean, the processor is the same, is it not? and id much prefer a physical keypad rather than touch screen only...

thoughts please?

thanks in advanced
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 13:48
The Touch Diamond 2 is newer, will be supported for much longer and has been designed for WM6.5, for which it will definitely get a 100% legit upgrade from HTC shortly.

The X1 is effectively discontinued now, is widely regarded as a failure for SE (SE's boss described it as an "experiment" recently), and it's due to be quietly dropped or replaced very soon so won't be getting any official update to 6.5 - personally I'd steer well clear.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 13:50
discontinued?

not upgradeable to 6.5, where did you read this?

obviously has bought the license for 6.5, so its definately possible. the hardware seems to be able to support it.

was the x1 really that bad? the one at work, even with old firmware, is definately better than all the other wm we have, omnia, diamond, touch pro etc. its just more stable imho
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 14:22
Well it's been withdrawn from Vodafone's lineup in the UK, that's not a good sign. I know it might not seem like the X1's been out very long, but this is a phone that was announced in February 2008 (when it seemed pretty cutting edge) and which should have really hit the market for last summer - in the end it barely made it to stores in time for Christmas, by which time the likes of HTC etc already had directly competing phones in place - like the Touch Pro for example, another qwerty device with essentially the same hardware. The Touch Pro 2 is already out now, the X2 (not to mention the X3) has been pictured in spy-shots, and the X1 (a phone we first saw 17 months ago now) is looking old.

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the X1 won't be getting 6.5 - just because they're putting it on the X2 doesn't mean they'll release it for the older model too, although of course "cooked" unofficial ROMs exist.

The X1 isn't "bad" per se, just not very successful. Personally I think they concentrated too much on getting it as small as it could be, while forgetting that actually WM6 is really not optimal for that size of screen, despite the high resolution. It needs to be bigger to be practical, and WM is a practical, not pretty OS.
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 14:23
Soooo my bro's X1 - bought in late Dec 2008, broke last week; no longer responding to the slider. No it isn't in a case but he never puts any in cases and tends to renew yearly but it's a pretty terrible performance for a +£500 phone. We're talking Sony fanboy here: Vaios (which actually have been v poor recently) the lot and he's been buying Ericsson and SE phones even longer than me - and that's another long term premium phone customer SE have lost. No workee no buyee.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 14:26
@boinng
what recent smartphones with large screen, and physical keyboard would you recommend then? for around the same price? (by price i mean prices from ebay, ive never had any problems buying from there) must have wifi and hsdpa

curious as to what you put well ahead of others?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 14:52
Well I'm not sure how the prices compare these days, but if it had to be Qwerty winmo device (and last year's prices so to speak) I'd pick the Touch Pro over the X1. It's a little bigger, which gives you a better keyboard and more standard screen size/resolution, and as far as I know it's got a better build reputation than the X1 - no cracks that I've heard of. It's also got an accelerometer (which the X1 lacks) making it a little more compatible with some of the newer software available.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-27 14:54
doesnt have to be winmo but as i said, i prefer the x1 over the touch pro. its better all round imho going by the devices at work.

ok budget of no more than 300gbp then...

i like the e55, and the e52. e52 which is out already
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2009-07-27 13:55 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-27 15:50
I would never put HTC Touch Pro in the same line as X1. I had both.

X1 is in fact - IMO - very good device. HTC has a shitty screen compared to SE,
I mean really worse.
Also TP is worse build than X1, especially slider mechanism which is much worse at HTC too.

In opposition what Boinng tries to suggest, X1 screen res.: 800 x 480

is a "normal" res of all new and upcoming WinMos.

I would also STRONGLY recommend X1 over TP 2 since
HTC has NO flash in camera at all (SIC!)
and NO headphone jack.

And NO hardware controls which is pain in the ass sometimes.
In reverse adds absolutely nothing over X1.

So for it's price now, X1 is great choice.
I use it for 7 months on R1 firmware and it's the best SE device I ever had.

>500, go for it.
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2009-07-27 14:52 ]
a w a r e
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic