Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Previous  123 ... 492493494 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
augie7107
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-13 16:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just orderd my X1A two days ago. Delivery March 17.
Anyone know lastest NA firmware version so I can check it when it arrives?
koldun
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-13 17:05
GENERIC english NAM 1.03.948.8
[ This Message was edited by: koldun on 2009-03-13 16:06 ]
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 07:18

On 2009-03-13 12:22:41, doministry wrote:
Heh, IMO N97 is quite bigger than X1...
I must say X1 design is unbeatable as for me...

I disagree... I don't think it's THAT much bigger than the X1, and like I said the trade off is negligible. I'd much rather have a slightly bigger phone if it means a bigger screen and fully usable AND ergonomic dpad. I can't help but notice that SE more often than not sacrifices form over function in consideration to there handsets (consider all of the wonky almost unusable control schemes and dpads SE has designed over the years that sacrificed usability for aesthetics, like with the K850 and X1 for example...), where as Nokia has done the extreme opposite of that with there own design ethic almost to a fault (with there bland and pedestrian designs repeated over and over again throughout there new N series phones, which look all look too much alike imho). After about a year with the N95 8GB, and given all of my time with various SE handsets, I've come to the conclusion that I'd much rather take function over form. I just want my phone to do what it's advertised to do, and well. It wouldn't hurt if it looked good too, however what's the use in a good looking phone if the controls are clunky and a chore to use?
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 07:58

On 2009-03-14 07:18:29, borisisinvin wrote:

On 2009-03-13 12:22:41, doministry wrote:
Heh, IMO N97 is quite bigger than X1...
I must say X1 design is unbeatable as for me...

I disagree... I don't think it's THAT much bigger than the X1, and like I said the trade off is negligible. I'd much rather have a slightly bigger phone if it means a bigger screen and fully usable AND ergonomic dpad. I can't help but notice that SE more often than not sacrifices form over function in consideration to there handsets (consider all of the wonky almost unusable control schemes and dpads SE has designed over the years that sacrificed usability for aesthetics, like with the K850 and X1 for example...), where as Nokia has done the extreme opposite of that with there own design ethic almost to a fault (with there bland and pedestrian designs repeated over and over again throughout there new N series phones, which look all look too much alike imho). After about a year with the N95 8GB, and given all of my time with various SE handsets, I've come to the conclusion that I'd much rather take function over form. I just want my phone to do what it's advertised to do, and well. It wouldn't hurt if it looked good too, however what's the use in a good looking phone if the controls are clunky and a chore to use?

This is school example that when it comes to personal taste all discussion is futile. Also one's personal experiance is the most relevant fact about phone's functionality, etc. If one's experience is bad then nobody can say that phone is good because it is a fact for that person.

For me xperia is a master piece of SE. Not only it looks and feels classy and do all the things I want (except Track ID) but even windows mobile is a nice surprise - and I heard so much bad things about it.
From the other side there are a few people which I told not to by xperia. One person I said the better choice would be Iphone, and I really meant it.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-14 11:54
koto is right IMO.

BTW I was feeling Nokia's design choices are just a pure form over functionlity, with few exeptions. But most nseries is a functional crap IMO.
In opposition I usually liked SE's designs.

Anyway, X1 is having a great design and extremely functional, much better than any WM device by the way.
I don't know but the mix of D-Pad and optical joystick is just perfect.
Tigershark42
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 21:43
Hey guys- what screen protector would you recommend? Thanks.
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 22:44
@ doministry, no one here is questioning SE's design aesthetic. With out a doubt, beside maybe Apple, I'm of the sound opinion that Sony makes some of the best looking consumer electronics in the world. PERIOD. Given there pedigree, I would expect nothing less from SE. I, however, do have to question there design choices sometimes when they consciously make decisions that seriously impact a products usability and ergonomics. I've given up trying to use my X1's dpad for navigation with few exceptions (like when scrolling left to right with the phone vertical to skip tracks while in the music player). It's probably the worst solution I've seen in a long long time (next to one of there other solutions for one of there other phones) and makes me really wonder what the design team was thinking. Didn't they personally test it before hand? While I like the optical joystick, I think given the choice between that and a regular ergonomic dpad, I would have taken the latter. As is, the dpad's pretty unusable as a navigation tool, and that's fact.

What btw is constituted as functional crap? I'm just curious is all... I'm trying to quantify that response into something meaningful and intelligible and am having a really hard time doing so, please elaborate.
hydro-
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 23:34
Well well well, after having my phone since November, I am taking it back...Why?
1: When I turn the phone off and then turn it on in about 2 hours time the screen is all weird and has gone green or I get black and white lines running down the entire screen.

2: There is a crack in the phone right above the battery case and under the volume buttons.

3: The keypad is getting non-responsive so when I am texting it never puts gaps in between the words which mean I have to go back and add some sort of symbol instead.

Sooo annoying!
augie7107
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-15 05:23
Martin Fields screen protectors are the best in my opinion.
I've used them on numerous devices.
wiifan 32k
Z770 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-15 06:04
Such a cool phone but too expensive.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-15 17:19

On 2009-03-14 22:44:41, borisisinvin wrote:
@ doministry, no one here is questioning SE's design aesthetic. With out a doubt, beside maybe Apple, I'm of the sound opinion that Sony makes some of the best looking consumer electronics in the world. PERIOD. Given there pedigree, I would expect nothing less from SE. I, however, do have to question there design choices sometimes when they consciously make decisions that seriously impact a products usability and ergonomics. I've given up trying to use my X1's dpad for navigation with few exceptions (like when scrolling left to right with the phone vertical to skip tracks while in the music player). It's probably the worst solution I've seen in a long long time (next to one of there other solutions for one of there other phones) and makes me really wonder what the design team was thinking. Didn't they personally test it before hand? While I like the optical joystick, I think given the choice between that and a regular ergonomic dpad, I would have taken the latter. As is, the dpad's pretty unusable as a navigation tool, and that's fact.

What btw is constituted as functional crap? I'm just curious is all... I'm trying to quantify that response into something meaningful and intelligible and am having a really hard time doing so, please elaborate.

"Functional Crap" means like keyboards which are really hard to use (N78), or some cramped buttons placements.
As for X1, it is as koto stated. I find D-Pad/Optical combo just perfect,
just the best solution I had in my hands. None of the TS devices have it, it allows to navigate in every situation.
a w a r e
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-15 20:32
@ doministry, I would refer to SE's track record again to prove my point. Again, I think that if you look at SE's design choices over the years and there wares you'll see SE more often than not doing just what it is that you say Nokia has done... I think what you're saying about Nokia could more easily be applied to SE and most of there designs. We obviously agree to disagree on this topic, and no matter what either us say we'll never convince each other otherwise. I know what I know, and like to think that it's tempered by unbiased experience (former SE enthusiast who now sees the trees from the forest, and wants the best for his hard earned monies irregardless of brand), instead of being driven by blind brand zealotry. BTW, how many Nokia's have you used exclusively for an extended amount of time (like say 3 months or more), just out of curiosity?
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-15 22:44

On 2009-03-15 20:32:31, borisisinvin wrote:
@ doministry, I would refer to SE's track record again to prove my point. Again, I think that if you look at SE's design choices over the years and there wares you'll see SE more often than not doing just what it is that you say Nokia has done... I think what you're saying about Nokia could more easily be applied to SE and most of there designs. We obviously agree to disagree on this topic, and no matter what either us say we'll never convince each other otherwise. I know what I know, and like to think that it's tempered by unbiased experience (former SE enthusiast who now sees the trees from the forest, and wants the best for his hard earned monies irregardless of brand), instead of being driven by blind brand zealotry. BTW, how many Nokia's have you used exclusively for an extended amount of time (like say 3 months or more), just out of curiosity?

Yes I still disagree. After 3,5 years of extensive usage of 4 different Pseries as my pocket-computer, I was happy to buy X1. No fanship, just a pure search for the most suitable device, as for today you can only look for compromise - none of them is complete.
So the hardware usability of xperia made me even happier with this kind of devices. Whether if it's keyboard, screen, dpad, optical joy. I was thinking of it for a long time and considered many devices before purchase, it was hard to choose.
Trust me, it's one of the really few devices with ts with a variety of ways of operating. Just a TS without any more controls is a real step backwards (like Touch Pro 2).
About Nokia - I have no intention to say they're overally bad or whatever.
But I still see some of their designs as unbeatable examples of "form over usability". My sister even had this one with just a screen and a wheel, no keys etc.
Great design, crap to use. As well as mentioned N78. I touched it and this keyboard was extremely not convinient. There are many examples of that.. That's how I see it.

Which one did I use? Hahaha, that's actually funny: I owned/still use 1100/1101/1200/1208, and hell yeah - they're really ergonomic
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-16 04:58
Fair enough, and I can respect your honest preference. TBH it was really pleasant talking to you about it all anyways, and for once it was a refreshing change to not have the conversation/debate devolve into a baseless fanboy flame war. Thanks!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-16 11:04

On 2009-03-16 04:58:12, borisisinvin wrote:
Fair enough, and I can respect your honest preference. TBH it was really pleasant talking to you about it all anyways, and for once it was a refreshing change to not have the conversation/debate devolve into a baseless fanboy flame war. Thanks!

Oh well, definitely no problem here!
We still practice our discussion skills.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 492493494 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic