Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 490491492 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-07 14:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-03-06 13:18:01, Nitro Fan wrote:
Steve Bulmer of Microsoft has proved that hitched its wagon to the wrong horse with the X1..... no surprise to me though!

Courtesy PC Pro Magazine
"Steve Ballmer has tacitly conceded that Windows Mobile 6.5 is no match for the iPhone or Google Android.

Speaking at Microsoft's Public Sector CIO Summit in Redmond, Ballmer was put on the spot by a member of the audience, who questioned the company's mobile phone strategy.

"With platforms like the Google phone and iPhone coming out, it's really tough to continue to stand behind Windows Mobile when our employees are bringing these consumer devices into our environments," Chris Kemp, the CIO of NASA's Ames Research Center said to Ballmer, according to a report on TechFlash.

"I'm wondering what your commitment is to continuing to get newer versions of the operating system in our hands so that we don't have to fight this battle on the ground."

Ballmer admitted the company was falling behind its rivals. "We have a significant release coming this year," he said. "Not the full release we wanted to have this year but we have a significant release coming this year with Windows Mobile 6.5."

"But I think with Windows Mobile 6.5, there will be phones in market this year. We still don't get some of the things that people want on the highest-end phones. Those will come on Windows Mobile 7 next year.

WM definitely needs to be brought up to par with the new OS'es user experience. But NitroFan, I don't understand how that Steve Ballmer quote equates to him conceding that WM is not a match for iPhone and Android. It simply states that WM6.5 doesn't include all of the features he would wish to have for a Microsoft high-end OS...we'll have to wait for WM7 for that to happen. This is in no way saying WM6.5 is "less-than" any other OS. WM is a very powerful and capable OS, just rough around the edges compared to the newer ones.

All of the shortcomings over the last few years of the "iPhone wanna-be's" is proof that throwing a hastily developed GUI shell onto some superior hardware does not make an iPhone killer. Android hasn't impressed thus far either. Apple has proven , that it takes some serious development time to make an OS as impressive as the iPhone OS, so I don't mind waiting for WM7 to be developed if that's what it takes for greatness. Also, you have to keep in mind, a large part of the success of iPhone isn't just the phone itself, it is the fact that it rides on the tail of the iPod/iTunes juggernaut. So a lot of it's success was built-in.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-03-07 19:46

On 2009-03-07 14:23:27, WhyBe wrote:

On 2009-03-06 13:18:01, Nitro Fan wrote:
Steve Bulmer of Microsoft has proved that hitched its wagon to the wrong horse with the X1..... no surprise to me though!

Courtesy PC Pro Magazine
"Steve Ballmer has tacitly conceded that Windows Mobile 6.5 is no match for the iPhone or Google Android.

Speaking at Microsoft's Public Sector CIO Summit in Redmond, Ballmer was put on the spot by a member of the audience, who questioned the company's mobile phone strategy.

"With platforms like the Google phone and iPhone coming out, it's really tough to continue to stand behind Windows Mobile when our employees are bringing these consumer devices into our environments," Chris Kemp, the CIO of NASA's Ames Research Center said to Ballmer, according to a report on TechFlash.

"I'm wondering what your commitment is to continuing to get newer versions of the operating system in our hands so that we don't have to fight this battle on the ground."

Ballmer admitted the company was falling behind its rivals. "We have a significant release coming this year," he said. "Not the full release we wanted to have this year but we have a significant release coming this year with Windows Mobile 6.5."

"But I think with Windows Mobile 6.5, there will be phones in market this year. We still don't get some of the things that people want on the highest-end phones. Those will come on Windows Mobile 7 next year.

WM definitely needs to be brought up to par with the new OS'es user experience. But NitroFan, I don't understand how that Steve Ballmer quote equates to him conceding that WM is not a match for iPhone and Android. It simply states that WM6.5 doesn't include all of the features he would wish to have for a Microsoft high-end OS...we'll have to wait for WM7 for that to happen. This is in no way saying WM6.5 is "less-than" any other OS. WM is a very powerful and capable OS, just rough around the edges compared to the newer ones.

All of the shortcomings over the last few years of the "iPhone wanna-be's" is proof that throwing a hastily developed GUI shell onto some superior hardware does not make an iPhone killer. Android hasn't impressed thus far either. Apple has proven , that it takes some serious development time to make an OS as impressive as the iPhone OS, so I don't mind waiting for WM7 to be developed if that's what it takes for greatness. Also, you have to keep in mind, a large part of the success of iPhone isn't just the phone itself, it is the fact that it rides on the tail of the iPod/iTunes juggernaut. So a lot of it's success was built-in.

Hi WhyBe
When a high up at Microsoft says:-
Ballmer admitted the company was falling behind its rivals. "We have a significant release coming this year," he said. "Not the full release we wanted to have this year but we have a significant release coming this year with Windows Mobile 6.5." it does make ME wonder why settled for an ageing OS like Windows Mobile for what is supposed to be a flagship product! I do agree it is an expensive product but hardly cutting edge in any way IMHO.

You seem to be working on the assumption that the iPhone OS is the standard by which all else should be judged. I disagree I tried an iPhone for a week and found it sadly lacking in a whole raft of areas and the lack of handwriting recognition really shows up the device for the sham it is. and i am not alone I know of three Swedes who fell for the Apple iPhone 3G (SIC) marketing but will NOT be renewing their contacts!

As for iTunes I find it to be the most highly flawed application I have ever had the misfortune to encounter I simply do not see how it improves upon the ability to drag and drop to and from your music folder in ANY way, sure it suits Apple and its silly shop well enough but I truly believe the user is the loser.

Add fact you are forced to install another 3rd party application simply to retrieve the contents of your iPod you have paid for if your PC fails is mind numbingly stupid in my opinion

But I guess A god like Steve knows better than the customer. and if as a customer form is more important to you than function .............................................. go buy into "Steve Says"
[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2009-03-07 18:49 ]
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-08 03:37
Nitro Fan wrote:
Hi WhyBe
Ballmer admitted the company was falling behind its rivals. "We have a significant release coming this year," he said. "Not the full release we wanted to have this year but we have a significant release coming this year with Windows Mobile 6.5." it does make ME wonder why settled for an ageing OS like Windows Mobile for what is supposed to be a flagship product! I do agree it is an expensive product but hardly cutting edge in any way IMHO.

Maybe was allowed to see the roadmap for WM6.5 and WM7 when they were designing the X1

You seem to be working on the assumption that the iPhone OS is the standard by which all else should be judged. I disagree I tried an iPhone for a week and found it sadly lacking in a whole raft of areas and the lack of handwriting recognition really shows up the device for the sham it is. and i am not alone I know of three Swedes who fell for the Apple iPhone 3G (SIC) marketing but will NOT be renewing their contacts!

iPhone = "King of Features"...NO!
iPhone = "King of User Experience"...YES.

I personally like WM, notwithstanding all of its clunkiness, and all of the power it offers. But, playing with my brother's iPod Touch, I noticed the iPhone OS has this killer feature yet to be implemented in WM...when you press a button or icon, the iPhone does something instantaneously...no lag

It's a great feature once you've experienced it. Maybe MS will get it one day.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-03-08 02:46 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-03-08 09:52

On 2009-03-08 03:37:20, WhyBe wrote:
Nitro Fan wrote:
Hi WhyBe

Maybe was allowed to see the roadmap for WM6.5 and WM7 when they were designing the X1

iPhone = "King of Features"...NO!
iPhone = "King of User Experience"...YES.

I personally like WM, notwithstanding all of its clunkiness, and all of the power it offers. But, playing with my brother's iPod Touch, I noticed the iPhone OS has this killer feature yet to be implemented in WM...when you press a button or icon, the iPhone does something instantaneously...no lag

It's a great feature once you've experienced it. Maybe MS will get it one day.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-03-08 02:46 ]

Hi Whybe
Like so many others you are simply making a direct comparison between features and user experience.

I base my assessment of a device on its effectiveness in performing the tasks I require it to complete yet the iPhone failed time and time again.

I do not like the whole throw a finger around style of navigation its very simplistic in my view. As for not being able to put in a spare battery when its need is simply laughable and indicative of the whole Apple control freak mentality." Don't do what's clearly required do as we tell you"

I suspect quite a few people are already realising the "King actually has no clothes on"
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-08 20:10

On 2009-03-08 09:52:44, Nitro Fan wrote:

Hi Whybe
Like so many others you are simply making a direct comparison between features and user experience.

I base my assessment of a device on its effectiveness in performing the tasks I require it to complete yet the iPhone failed time and time again.

I do not like the whole throw a finger around style of navigation its very simplistic in my view. As for not being able to put in a spare battery when its need is simply laughable and indicative of the whole Apple control freak mentality." Don't do what's clearly required do as we tell you"

You'll have to admit that during certain times, using a finger to get things done is alot more convenient than stylus and menus. Of course, there are times where the stylus and complexity of menus serve a better purpose. I think the day-to-day real world activity is served better by the finger method though because it is quicker and more intuitive.
I've never owned a cellphone that needed a battery replacing. So, that feature is neither here nor there with me. My p910 went more than three years on the original battery with daily recharging.

I suspect quite a few people are already realising the "King actually has no clothes on"

Yes, most who haven't bought an iPhone have realized the King was naked all along.

Unfortunately, the King is still the King no matter how foolish he may be.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-03-08 19:10 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2009-03-09 11:23

On 2009-03-08 20:10:13, WhyBe wrote:

On 2009-03-08 09:52:44, Nitro Fan wrote:

Hi Whybe

You'll have to admit that during certain times, using a finger to get things done is alot more convenient than stylus and menus. Of course, there are times where the stylus and complexity of menus serve a better purpose. I think the day-to-day real world activity is served better by the finger method though because it is quicker and more intuitive.
I've never owned a cellphone that needed a battery replacing. So, that feature is neither here nor there with me. My p910 went more than three years on the original battery with daily recharging.

Yes, most who haven't bought an iPhone have realized the King was naked all along.

Unfortunately, the King is still the King no matter how foolish he may be.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-03-08 19:10 ]

@whybe
I have to say only a fool would hail a "King" just because they are told he is one by the press!
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2009-03-09 16:54
Only 2 words: Burger King....

...and he servers bad burgers! [addsig]
@home
K750
PM
Posted: 2009-03-09 20:19
Has anyone had any issues with MP3's skipping while using Core player with the Xperia?

What music player is everyone using on the Xperia?

Cheers
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-03-09 21:08
I use Core player for both music and videos. I like choosing files to play from folders - folders are my play lists
domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-09 23:50
I use the media panel. Just love the interface. I think it's worse than in other SE phones, though
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-10 00:57
Media Panel is fine for me even though it needs an EQ. PocketPlayer demo I tried was pretty good too.
xperia.x1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-03-10 19:21
please tell me what is the main problems on xperia x1?
koldun
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-10 23:27
...mmm, the price?!
I have no problem with mine till now. E/thing I wanted to do with it, I did it. Is a good piece of engineering!
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-11 04:36

On 2009-03-10 19:21:28, xperia.x1 wrote:
please tell me what is the main problems on xperia x1?

WinMo needs updating...6.5 coming soon.
More panels needed...4 new panels coming soon.

A lot of the originally promised features are MIA. But it is still a very powerful phone with tons of software available for it.
borisisinvin
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-11 04:42
Hey all, been a while since I posted. My Xperia is getting worse and worse... It's still locking up and freezing up every other day. I have to soft reset it or remove the battery every other day when it freezes...

Also my Xperia started cracking a little less than a month ago and now has two massive cracks on each side of it's back, one next to the volume rocker and a matching one next to the usb port on the opposite side... I baby all of my electronics, and even bought an expensive case for it too! EVERY SE phone I've ever owned has had a serious hardware defect (both my t610 and k800i developed joystick problems that rendered them almost unusable after only a few short months of use, while my w850i's dpad started cracking and falling apart after only a few short months of use). This is the last time I will ever buy one of SE's ticking time bombs!

Also I have to say that the clock on my second SE panel is an hour off now (slow), and I can't seem to fix it... This last Sunday my phones alarm never went off, finally getting up about an hour late I looked and noticed that my phone said that the time had changed because of day light savings (stupid archaic US practices!). Since the time change it's been an hour slow from the time displayed in the top tool bar, and I can't seem to fix it... I've gone into the clock adjustment screen and tried everyting I can think of without any luck, short of a hard reset, which I don't particularly want to do...

All in all, I'm not very happy with my purchase, and have serious buyers remorse. This will definitely be the last SE phone I ever own. I honestly can't wait for the N97 to come out so I can unload this dud on someone else.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 490491492 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic