Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > New P1i Firmware - R9K009 - R6G04

Previous  123 ... 303132
Author New P1i Firmware - R9K009 - R6G04
kam27
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-09-12 08:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@All, pls when is the next update coming out?
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-09-12 09:40
i hope i am wrong but from what i have read SE is unlikely to release a new firmware for the device on the basis that it is now too old.

instead they will concentrate on newer devices and if you want bugs fixed you must choose to upgrade to a newer device.

again this is what i have come to understand from what i read on the forum and it is by no means a sure answer. although as far as i know the thread aimed at a SE insider to answer the same question has no response from any official party from SE.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-12 15:25
..what they told us from the beginning was that they would only do critical bugs. They then didn't file the bugs at support, because they suck, which then eventually meant that the phone was too old to be supported (that was in February or so). And obviously unless enough people will complain loudly(which they don't), SE will have no incentive to hire coders to fix the abysmally bad phone- tools and mail- suite(it's that bad unless you compare it to other smartphones), or order bugfixes from - for example - Opera, Datawiz, etc. While these companies won't do bugfixes on their own initiative either - for the same reason.

I.e.: if some more people complained about the standard, there might be another firmware, or independently released fixes. Otherwise nothing will be done with the p1, or any other basic function on the uiq phones - that is absolutely certain. What might turn up is extras for external projects hired in separately and kept because of Sony image stuff, and so on. Obviously, everyone can see where the money went as well: with the walkman app.
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-09-12 17:35
@Nipsen

Yeah, those are the pathetic attitudes of SE since the P990 fiasco. And while some of us with their immortal optimism can't give up their wishful thinking, it seems to be getting worse.

@ares

You've had reliable sources in the past and as you were insistently telling that there will be at least one more update for the P1i, I would like to know what has changed ?
The source or its reliability ?

No offense intended.
Just asking out of curiousity..
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-09-12 17:41
I'll say it again as i have a few times on the forums, SE's attitude is poor when it comes to these fixes.
This is my first SE device and while on the whole happy, it is the attitude of "well the product is pretty stable now, we'll ignore the bugs and if you want something new pick up our new device" that has annoyed me with SE.

I understand that they are a company and are in it for the profits and while they have to balance time, money and rewards in order to undertake these bug fixes, it does seem that the user is being made a beta tester.

SInce my device works and does its job well enough for me to be satisfied i will not make a fuss, build quality could do with a looking at to be fair for a "premium device", but on the whole the device does the job it was made to do. Thankfully there are developers such as Gary (gdesk) and a number of modders who have made the device more fun, and more worthwhile to end users i feel that SE need to pull their socks up and look at their customers demands.

However we as a forum community as with most online communities are a more tech-savvy bunch of customers as so expect more. I can take out the P1 and "wow" a lot of people. They see numbers like 3.2mp they see the office applications, the touchscreen and they thing the phone is great.

But to a power user there is still a lot to be desired.

For me at the moment the P1 is the device of choice which fits a very strict list of criteria, up till now there is no phone that i know of that fulfills this list as well as the P1 and so i will stay with it for the foreseeable future. However if a device does become available and is capable of replacing the P1 due to SE's attitude i have no loyalty towards them and will not hesitate to switch.

This is something i am seeing on a regular basis on the forums and i can understand why, SE take your money fix things up to the point they feel is good enough and then forget about you whereas Nokia with their N95 for instance are still producing firmware updates and it is this customer support which in the long run helps the company much more that simply releasing a new phone and expecting everyone to adopt it.

The X1 seems like a device which is capable of replacing the P1 in my eyes the WM will allow a greater amount of modding and applications to be installed. But i'm going to let others test the device before even thinking about buying it.
technokid17
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 11:24
So there will be no new updates for our P1i? So sad....
choboness
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 11:32
@ares
bro what happened to uiqblog i cant access it anymore? thnx men
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 11:52

On 2008-12-08 11:32:47, choboness wrote:
@ares
bro what happened to uiqblog i cant access it anymore? thnx men

The domain name expired two days ago as seen here.
Satio, X1, P1i, HTC Hero, Blokia N900, N97 mini, N95-2, Crackberry Curve 8900 (corporate)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 303132
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic