Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > New P1i Firmware - R9K009 - R6G04

Previous  123 45 ... 303132  Next
Author New P1i Firmware - R9K009 - R6G04
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 20:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yes...
G-Izzat
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 20:30

On 2008-02-07 20:04:27, Theberge43 wrote:
Just to be sure ... if I upgrade through SEUS, I loose everything on my phone right ?

Yes, mate. Make sure you've backed up everything using the PC Suite first.
giantfly
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 20:52
well, here's the first bug in the new FW:

In the camera mode, when "4" on the keyboard is pressed, it should change the image focusing mode, i.e. macro, infinity, e.t.c. It does the job, but the icon remains the same, so you have to guess what mode you're in. After the picture is taken, the right icon sometimes appears...

I hope SE changes the FW on the SEUS site, because this bug makes the camera barely usable...

cheers...
G-Izzat
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 21:10
Yeah, the '4' bug is there, but camera focuses a bit faster this time and I also noticed that night mode does seem to work much better.
giantfly
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 21:13
true, better camera speed, and way better night mode, however, in the preview window, the picture displayed is with worse quality. I guess that is done on purpose to make display faster and snappier. I can live with it, but, SE, please fix the 4 bug...
crippit
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-07 22:29
It seems a little bit faster, but nothing amazing. The Camera is definatley quicker, and takes photos almost immediatley. I think alot of K800 convertees have struggled with this?

Still no profiles though!

ericl
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 00:03
BBC4.79 doesn't work
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 05:35
Phone is faster, i also have the 4 button bug however my camera focus speed is 10x faster. Deleting msg is faster, closing menus is faster. I dont know but pages on opera seem to be loading better than before.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-08 06:31
Yeah. More reliable, and the pages are drawn a much quicker. The in- page links work as well, now. *happy*

..No fix for the "copy text into text- boxes" problem, though. And any marking you do on unread messages will disappear, if you start to open one (to see the full subject and address, etc., or just hit the wrong button), and then go back to the list- view. Same goes for the selection- bugs elsewhere, in the picture- gallery, and the picture folder.

Still - the "long e-mail hang" seems to have been fixed. Have to check on the scheduler with the e-mail later on..

It's not that bad, I guess... but - half a year after the release, the phone at last looks and feels reliable. I mean, that's not horrendous compared to some other examples and some typical competition.. And it's not like the phone is basically useless once a new version comes along (it's still going to be new software made for the UIQ3 phones for a couple of years), so the fixes are very welcome. But this will be my last SE phone for a very, very long time.

Seriously, I've had enough. Simple functions that are not just "ok" to have, but which are expected to work - are somehow missed out, "not officially supported", and/or not fixed for several months. There's no response from customer service, except snippy remarks about how they're not giving out any information about upgrades (I.e., I'm asking about what it's marginally possible for the users to expect, so I can reverently be permitted to continue my free beta- testing of their products). Not to mention the wrong info that comes out, as well as the unbearable arrogance (trust me, I know what I'm talking about ) when it comes to maintaining the older products, or a dialogue with their customers in general.

I admit that at the present, maybe silence is preferable to what they would have had to say, but I still feel it's a mistake not to have a more official way to conduct dialogue with the ones who actually use their phones every day.

Really, there are these silly mistakes - tiny small little things that would make the phone infinitely much better than anything else out there, and not just a kind of good competitor in some respects.

And if SE did something about those details - which is doable, easily - it would benefit me: I would get a better phone that doesn't flip out on me every once in a while. And it would benefit SE: they could sell phones that actually were good, and impress the socks off everyone who wanted a smartphone. Instead of eventually making people blow up over some tiny detail that some engineer in their infinite wisdom never thought of - and which thanks to the support- policy ranks as an "upgrade", and will therefore never be addressed. Presumably. Nevermind the relatively larger things, like actual object- exchange - something that's possible on UIQ - but which will evidently never be tinkered with at SE.

And - getting rid of that sort of thing, these phones would suddenly be a possible choice, not just over the pda competition, but even for those who would never normally spend that kind of money on a phone. Really, explain to me how is that not worth the investment? Makes absolutely no sense.

Specially since they can still employ uppity support- dudes who do not give out information, and are on full standby so they kan piss people off.

Honestly - seven- mile steps on these things, or SE can kiss their smartphone- department good- bye. It'll never be competitive, no matter what sort of investment is put into it - if they can't get the small things in order first.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 07:33
just picked up on a change. Before when u were in an app such as opera mini or google maps you could long press the back key to leave an app without closing it. Now when long pressing the back key a menu pops up asking if you want to close the app. Im not sure if i like this one. Before if i was looking up something on gmaps i could back out and play music, send a text and then come back to gmaps when i was ready. on the good side of it theres no need to keep going into the task manager to close something.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-08 07:54
...just for the java- apps? That might be useful..

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
tequilacat
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-08 08:14
I am not sure I like it - I use "long back press" sometimes to switch from fullscreen apps to standby.
Why they never do things complete? Why not offer "Close app" and "Standy screen" on same dialog... easily mixing 2 behaviours

[ This Message was edited by: tequilacat on 2008-02-08 07:15 ]
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-08 08:27
Yeah. Oh, where's the dialogue for "back- button will: close program/return to start- menu"? Not there.. not here.

CoolDuck
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 09:06

On 2008-02-08 06:31:16, Nipsen wrote:
It's not that bad, I guess... but - half a year after the release, the phone at last looks and feels reliable. I mean, that's not horrendous compared to some other examples and some typical competition.. And it's not like the phone is basically useless once a new version comes along (it's still going to be new software made for the UIQ3 phones for a couple of years), so the fixes are very welcome. But this will be my last SE phone for a very, very long time.

Seriously, I've had enough. Simple functions that are not just "ok" to have, but which are expected to work - are somehow missed out, "not officially supported", and/or not fixed for several months.

Hei Nipsen .

Could you make a list of what you find lacking? Personally, I find that the omission of a good search function in the address book a major usability hurdle. Other than that, I think the phone is a bit to slow in the UI, especially the messaging app can be annoying. The E-mail app is also bad- slow and not well-behaving.

I recently got a iPod Touch. Now, that is how an UI should behave. Not saying it's perfect though.

CoolDuckie
jalf
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-02-08 09:51
still missing the possibility of find any field in contacts...don't know why....i think SE doesn't know how to do it....eheheheheh (in the P1 of course, because P990 can do it!)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 303132  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic