Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Garmin gets official with its nuvifone

Author Garmin gets official with its nuvifone
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-31 11:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
"We know, it's not like the nüvifone is a total surprise any longer, but just in case you tend to rest easier after digesting information straight from the source, here goes. Garmin's recently (and abruptly) announced handset obviously marks the firm's first solo foray into the cellphone arena, and according to Cliff Pemble, the firm's president and COO, it's the "breakthrough product that cellphone and GPS users around the world have been longing for." That being said, the unit will feature a 3.5-inch touchscreen with a trio of primary icons -- Call, Search and View Map -- along with an internet browser, HSDPA support and preloaded maps of North America and / or Eastern and Western Europe. Furthermore, it houses "millions" of POIs, doles out turn-by-turn, voice-prompted directions and becomes Garmin's first device to include Google's local search capability. As for pricing and availability? We're looking at a Q3 2008 release, but we'll have to wait things out before finding out a price and who exactly will be carrying it. Check out the gallery below for shots of the device and its UI, and head on over to Engadget Classic for lots more pics."

http://www.engadgetmobile.com[....]ts-official-with-its-nuvifone/
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-31 11:57
Like it. Go garmin

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-01-31 12:04
I love Garmin stuff and have been using them for 25 years.

I have the Nuvi 670 and am even running the Garmin XT software in my TyTN II and its heaps better than TomTom IMHO

anyway, here is the product page

http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

jaykay
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 13:21
Am I understanding it right that it will come with a touch UI (similar to the one of iPhone) ?

[ This Message was edited by: jaykay on 2008-02-02 12:23 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-02-06 16:41
nuvifone videos @ youtube

this looks great

edit: ... and yes, it does have a bit of an iphone feel about it

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2008-02-06 15:44 ]
Trev1982
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-02-06 16:46
oooh now something that has a huge screen and no buttons i like
BB 8120
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-06 18:02
like this device alot, wonder what the price tag will be?
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-06 18:18
Will definitely cost an arm and a leg. Can't see it going for less than $600- unsubsidised... But lets wait till later this year when it shows up.
Liar liar pants on fire/ You burning up like David Koresh- Ghostface Killah
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-02-12 13:32
Some hands on photos and a video..

Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV4rHHHpbQ

mobileburn.com
here, have a puff
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-12 13:40
Not bad, like the gold touch and the screen.

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-02-28 12:30
Nuvio sues Garmin over Nuviphone

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Internet telephone provider Nuvio Corp. said Wednesday it has sued navigational device marker Garmin Ltd. over the name of Garmin's new wireless phone.

Nuvio, which is based in Overland Park, Kan., filed suit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Kansas, saying Garmin's proposed Nuviphone name infringes on its own Nuvio trademark.

"While we would have preferred to settle this without resorting to a lawsuit, we felt it was important to ensure that our customers and potential customers are not confused by someone abusing our legally protected trademark," said Jason P. Talley, the company's chief executive officer. "Our customers commonly refer to our service as the Nuvio phone."

Talley wouldn't disclose the number of customers that Nuvio has but said it generated between $5 million and $10 million in revenue in 2007.

Garmin, which is based in the Cayman Islands with operational headquarters in Olathe, said earlier this month it will introduce the Nuviphone by the end of the year. The phone would include many of the standard features of Garmin's Nuvi line of GPS devices now used in cars and trucks and help the company compete with wireless carriers now including navigation aids in their phones.

Besides preventing Garmin from using the Nuviphone name, Nuvio said it also wants to bar the company from using the Nuvi name on any of its regular GPS devices. It also has demanded damages from past infringement.

Garmin spokesman Ted Gartner said the company doesn't comment on pending litigation. He said Garmin first introduced the Nuvi line in North America in early 2006 and had sold Nuvi products in Europe before then.

Shares of the company, which have sold in a 52-week range of $50.01 to $125.68, lost 59 cents to close at $61.19 in trading Wednesday."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20[....]hi_te/garmin_trademark_lawsuit

Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-05-01 10:31
Garmin Nuvifone hitting AT&T for $500 plus? (engadget)

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-01 12:52
Hi all

Well in this months (June) T3 they have it as there number 1 product for the Summer and are calling it a real iPhone killer.

I must say it does indeed look very good and reminds me of a keyless P910 but with 3G/HSDPA and WiFi although a new entrant to Mobile phones it looks like Garmin are headed for success.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-01 11:53 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi