Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > Taking t68i to Thailand

Author Taking t68i to Thailand
gaburke
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-22 02:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Some questions about taking a t68i from the US to Thailand:
My girlfriend (Thai) is going back to Thailand to visit her family and wants to take an unlocked t68i with her.
I've read that only phones bought in Thailand are permitted to be used in Thailand (The IMEI is checked by the system), and that phones brought into the country have to be registered with customs.
How much does it cost to register the phone?
Once the phone is registered, can a pre-paid SIM be purchased and activated for it?
What is the best provider for the Udon area?
Where can the SIM's be purchased, 7-11, etc?
Is there any way to get around the hardware restriction of having to register it?
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-22 02:43
I dont belive you m8! People from norway have been on vacation in thailand with there mobile and its no problem!

Life is all about Colombia!!
COLOMBIA
veon18
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-22 03:21
Thailand no.....Burma yes
U will get a hell of headache if your gf is from Burma, to get a registered line there costs USD 5k, plus there's no ensuring that u will get ur line even if you are willing to pay USD 5k
Mobile there cost a few times more expensive than the usual market price in our countries unless u get smuggled sets which bear the risk of being locked up if the local enforcement finds out
That's why mobile there are rarely seen, only for the rich and influencial
Be grateful that u have your precious mobile with u m8
Jowi
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-22 05:02
Here,if you are buying a prepaid line,they wont ask any documents or check the phone's imei.you can just buy the sim over the counter evn if you dont have a phone w you.

This post was posted from a T68i

gaburke
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-22 05:40
Quote:

On 2002-12-22 05:02, Jowi wrote:
Here,if you are buying a prepaid line,they wont ask any documents or check the phone's imei.you can just buy the sim over the counter evn if you dont have a phone w you.

This post was posted from a T68i

Where's "here"?

gaburke
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-22 05:41
Here's where I got some of the info:
http://www.bangkokbob.net/thailand.html

Cell Phones
Your UK cell phone will work in Thailand, there used to be a problem with One-2-One, but that is now resolved. If you never have taken your phone out of Europe before, have a word with the service provider to make sure you have full roaming on your account, otherwise you will be severely limited as to use.

IMEI & Thai Pay-As-You-Go (One-2-Call)

Thai One-2-Call cards are available very cheaply, and will give you a Thai number and some call credit that is usually valid for a few months. These will NOT work in your handset for the following reason:-

Thailand is the only country I know where a check on your International Mobile Equipment Identification (IMEI) is done before a SIM card can be activated. This preposterous idea is so only handsets bought in Thailand will work with a Thai SIM card, defeating one of the main ideas behind the system.

Don't despair though, you can have this system bypassed for a few hundred Baht, with a simple software upgrade at almost any independent cell phone retailer. Until March 2002 this was only available on Motorola and Ericsson handsets, but now this can also be achieved on all modern Nokia models. I have my UK Nokia 8250 working with no problems whatsoever. The price is down from a high of 2000 Baht, to just a few hundred, so shop around. This does not affect your ability to use the phone back home.
Check MBK Centre and Fortune Town for this modification. You will be able to buy a One-2-Call card from the same shop, and have a Thai number working "while you wait".

New Pay 2 Go phones are now available all over the country for less than 6000 Baht including 1800 Baht worth of calls, plus SIM cards to use in your UK phone - but only if it is "unlocked" first.
Noddy99
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-27 03:54
I hope it is not too late. The IMEI barrier has been lift off. Now you can use any phones in Thailand. There is no IMEI checked anymore. However I have heard that the phone from the US has some kind of lock.....SP lock... or something which U cannot use Thai sim card. U better check it out before leaving. Or buy a new one in Thailand???? It is very cheap now. Happy holidays......
gaburke
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-27 05:18
Thanks for the information!
It's not too late yet
Yes, the phone we bought (t68i) has an SP lock on it, but it is very easy to unlock, using an online service for $8.
So everything should work fine then.
remo74tg
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-16 06:31
I took my t68i to Thailand and it was no problem...I have cingular and the phone worked perfect with international roaming.
gaburke
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-16 07:21
Quote:

On 2003-01-16 06:31, remo74tg wrote:
I took my t68i to Thailand and it was no problem...I have cingular and the phone worked perfect with international roaming.

Actually, she doesn't want to roam. It's too expensive.
remo74tg
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-16 07:32
Well, my point is that the phone works and if u wanna buy a sim card u could get one from DTAC its cheap and there are a bunch of stores who sell'em and they'll activate them for u.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi