Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > O2 Tariffs 1st feb (good for data users) and 3g speed restriction

Author O2 Tariffs 1st feb (good for data users) and 3g speed restriction
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-16 11:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok guys, we had our Q1 2008 meeting last night, and the changes are good for you data fans.

Basically, most of the tariffs stay the same except for these changes:

-There is no longer a Leisure Time tariff - it was proving unpopular

-The £20/month 18-month tariff (or £25/month 12 month, or £15/month 24 month) now has 25 more minutes and texts, bringing it up to 75 minutes and 100 texts

-There is no longer a £40/month or £50/month tariff (18-month), there is now a £45/month tariff (18-month) which gives you the same ammount of minutes and texts etc as the £50/month tariff used to

Ok, and the major change is: Unlimited is truly here - there is no fair usage policy anymore on the new unlimited packages.

Basically, with all £35/month tariffs and above on 18-month contracts (or £30/month and above on 24 month), you get to choose ONE of the following bolt-on's for free:

-Unlimited O2 to O2 calls
-Unlimited Anytime X-Net Texts
-Unlimited Landline Calls
-Unlimited Evening and Weekend calls
-Unlimited Data
-200 Anytime X-Net minutes

Please note: instead of a 'fair usage policy', there is an 'excessive use policy'. Difference being O2 are saying "so long as customers use their voices to talk with, their fingers to text with and their phones to browse with, it's unlimited". Basically meaning, if you try and use your phone as a modem with your computer etc, don't, because you'll incur charges and it won't be free.

On the £35/month+ 18 month tariffs (and, again, £30/month+ 24 month), you can also add one more of the above bolt ons for £7.50 a month.

Ok, and if you don't use enough data to warrant £7.50 a month on your contract, O2 are offerering Web Daily. Basically, much like Web 'n' Walk do on T-Mobile, you can use the internet on your phone all you want and never get charged more than £1 in a day. So if you know theres a particular day during the month your going to need it, like a day trip or something, you can use it all you want and the most you'll get charged is £1.

Oh, and Broadband can also be added for £7.50 a month, it can't be used as your free bolt-on, but 8MB broadband with free wireless router etc for £7.50 a month isn't bad. Especially when moneysupermarket.co.uk gave it 10/10...

Anyway, there you have it, 1st Feb these will come into effect. Enjoy

Using: BlackBerry 8310, Samsung E590
For sale: 5610 - BIN £135 RMSD

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2008-04-10 11:44 ]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-16 12:05
Sounds very encouraging! I've just in the last month or so taken out the £15 simplicity contract, and added the £7.50 'unlimited' data tariff, which was 200Mb. So that is now actually unlimited, apart from the excessive use policy?

And that applies to all customers, not just the ones who take out the £7.50/month data bolt-on after 1st Feb, people like me who started the bolt-on before 1st Feb will have unlimited data rather than 200Mb?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-16 21:26
Yes it's unlimited, with the excessive policy being the one I mentioned earlier.

And you'd have to change to the new tariffs to do it I think, or call them up and 're-add' it or something, but either way, good deal
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
theuniboy
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 14:05
Any news on the terms of the unlimited data?

The terms of the current bolt on ban IM, VOIP and Media Streaming. If they will allow Windows Live Messenger and Orb/Slingbox then I will be very happy!

Also, that broadband is a steal! If only they had bothered to bring it to my village
ramzez
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 14:52
I wonder if there will be better tariffs for iPhone if anyone knows?

[ This Message was edited by: ramzez on 2008-01-17 14:05 ]
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-17 20:18
The iPhone tariffs will get upgraded at the same time to allow you to pick on the bolt ons (obviously not unlimited data as you already get that), so unlimited texts for example.

Broadband is slowly being rolled out, we don't have it in our town yet either! By the start of Q2 (March ish) it should be something like 90% coverage of the UK.

The data, as far as I'm aware, is limited to phone BROWSING, not other means of data use. It's meant for browsing, thats it's purpose. Unlike 3, O2 don't have any deals or partnerships with MSN, Skype or Slingbox, so they don't 'support' it in their T&C's as such, due to the massive bandwidth usage.

Three can afford to because they seem to have a good thing money wise going with those companies, and have an exclusive on them.
theuniboy
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 21:00
Well I'm looking forward to the new contracts. As O2 staff plz could you advise me on something:

My O2 online contract is up for renewal in May, but my handset (which I did not get with the contract, I took the £100 credit instead) has developed a fault and become unusable. As a loyal customer of 7 years would I be able to upgrade EARLY and get a new handset? My bill is regularly over £40 too which I believe I red somewhere makes a difference.

I was also given 20% off monthly as a retentions deal (paid as a lump credit for some reason). Would they be likely to do the same if I call up in Feb when the contracts change or will I have to wait until May then threaten to leave? I would even take a 24 month contract if it meant I could get a new handset now rather than May if I really had to.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 23:03
Hey Daedalus85

Cheers for the good news, So £35pm could now get you 600mins, 500txts & truly unlimited data!
This is great news and should give Orange a hearty kick up the backside to get thier data sorted, even if they don't these new O2 tariffs are looking very very tasty!

and just quickly the £20pm 18month already gives 100txts, so are you saying you now get 75mins & 125txts?
pete101
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-17 23:39

On 2008-01-16 11:36:46, Daedalus85 wrote:
Ok guys, we had our Q1 2008 meeting last night, and the changes are good for you data fans.

Basically, most of the tariffs stay the same except for these changes:

-There is no longer a Leisure Time tariff - it was proving unpopular

-The £20/month 18-month tariff (or £25/month 12 month, or £15/month 24 month) now has 25 more minutes and texts, bringing it up to 75 minutes and 100 texts

-There is no longer a £40/month or £50/month tariff (18-month), there is now a £45/month tariff (18-month) which gives you the same ammount of minutes and texts etc as the £50/month tariff used to

Ok, and the major change is: Unlimited is truly here - there is no fair usage policy anymore on the new unlimited packages.

Basically, with all £35/month tariffs and above on 18-month contracts (or £30/month and above on 24 month), you get to choose ONE of the following bolt-on's for free:

-Unlimited O2 to O2 calls
-Unlimited Anytime X-Net Texts
-Unlimited Landline Calls
-Unlimited Evening and Weekend calls
-Unlimited Data
-200 Anytime X-Net minutes

Please note: instead of a 'fair usage policy', there is an 'excessive use policy'. Difference being O2 are saying "so long as customers use their voices to talk with, their fingers to text with and their phones to browse with, it's unlimited". Basically meaning, if you try and use your phone as a modem with your computer etc, don't, because you'll incur charges and it won't be free.

On the £35/month+ 18 month tariffs (and, again, £30/month+ 24 month), you can also add one more of the above bolt ons for £7.50 a month.

Ok, and if you don't use enough data to warrant £7.50 a month on your contract, O2 are offerering Web Daily. Basically, much like Web 'n' Walk do on T-Mobile, you can use the internet on your phone all you want and never get charged more than £1 in a day. So if you know theres a particular day during the month your going to need it, like a day trip or something, you can use it all you want and the most you'll get charged is £1.

Oh, and Broadband can also be added for £7.50 a month, it can't be used as your free bolt-on, but 8MB broadband with free wireless router etc for £7.50 a month isn't bad. Especially when moneysupermarket.co.uk gave it 10/10...

Anyway, there you have it, 1st Feb these will come into effect. Enjoy

how does this effect the upgrade customers or existing customers of o2?

will there still be discounted line rental i.e. £10-15 off current line rental if you upgrade and also do you have any new in regards to handset prices for the new tariffs on offer? in particular the black n95-8gb and n82.

thanks
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-18 00:55
Ok, theuniboy: best bet it call them, I'm not retentions so I couldn't say, but there only a free phone call away, and their all UK call centres, plus they don't bite

@Alpha Trion: Certainly looks that way, yeah, although I swear it said 75 minutes and 100 texts on our new tariff sheet. Leave it with me.

@pete101: Please don't quote the entire post, it's stupidly annoying...
As for your questions:

-Upgrading customers can choose to change to the new tariffs if they choose to.
-This doesn't affect existing customers unless they change their tariff.
-You'd have to check when you upgrade, but yes I suspect if your a loyal customer and your thinking of leaving O2, they might offer you line rental discount with the new tariffs.
-The N82 is already out, go to your local store if your unsure of prices, off the top of my head I don't know how much it is, but I'm fairly certain it's free on £35/month 18-month+ for free. N95i (as O2 are calling it) isn't out for O2 yet, so no idea on prices. It's due in a few weeks, maybe a month.
upper
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 15:59
It's about time too!
pete101
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 18:50
the n95-8gb is already out it's listed on the o2 website.

thanks for your help.

what i meant though was if they are getting rid of the leisure time plans (which i am on) will i still be able to upgrade with the same tariff if i do not want to switch to the newer ones?

i'm looking for a 12 month contract only and with the N95-8gb, if i currently have a online leisure plan what would be the best thing to say to get the phone for free or for a small extra fee if i want to stay on my current tariff?

in effect i'd pay £120 for the handset if i was to say get £10 off my line rental each month. do they still offer discount on line rental for current tariffs that existing customers are on?

thanks for your help again.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-01-18 19:26
hmm...
about time they sorted that GPRS out!

I may consider coming back now if they offer good price on a 12 month tariff,
I am happy with Vodafone atm anyway £1 for 15MB a day is pretty good with them!

Now 02 have done that I think Vodafone may change theres not that im bothered the £1 a day thing is Music to my ears
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-19 01:46
In a rather annoying twist, we had 6 of the buggers come in today (the N95i)

Free on the £40 a month+ 18-month from what I gather, not too shabby.

As for unlimited data on 12 month? Nu-uh, aint going to happen.
The unlimited bolt-ons are for 18 month customers only, but the 1MB per day thing is for everyone on new contract tariffs.

Anyway, you took an E65 on a 24 month contract, so you can't really complain about 12 month contracts lol
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-01-19 01:51
wont they offer it on a under £35 tariff?

btw 24months?
neh Im back down to 18months!

they couldn't get the credit back out of my bank account and they cut me off the buggers lol

strange since they have all my debit details
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic