Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > N95-8gb video quality against w960 video quality/comparison of wifi for both

Author N95-8gb video quality against w960 video quality/comparison of wifi for both
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-09 16:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Mizzle

Finding Networks is not the problem try connecting to them and then see what happens? as many with the P1 all state they can find Networks no problem they problems start when they want to surf and get strange no getaway found messages. Maybe SE gave you a special W960 with super powers as you like them so much and work so heard in defending all thier faults and lack of action.

Oh and while we are at it what great battery life from SE smart phones is that then? we are all aware of just how bad the P990 was that didn't even ship with the announced battery and the same goes for the M600 also it then took SE the best part of a year to even release the BST-40 and the only way that SE smart phones get good battery life is by turning the brightness down to 50% and disabling 3G.I mean whats the point of buying a 3g smart phone to turn 3G off that's just absurd. So it's hardly a fair comparison to a Nokia smart phone on full brightness running both 3G and HSDPA that the SE smart phones still don't even offer. Somehow you seem to have missed that the original N95 now has increased it's battery life by approx 25% due to demand paging and the N95 8gb has not only a 20% larger battery but again with Demand paging an increased battery life also.

Even if SE's smart phones did have the best battery life you who cares they are all still running the same outdated spec's from when the P990 was announced and who really wants to buy a Data centric device late 2007 early 2008 with 2006 spec's not many of us it seems especially when for the same money or less we can get much better specified devices.

SE really needs to blow us all away with it's new devcies just like it always used to or the amount of people leaving SE will continue to grow with only you few SE die hard fans left and that really isn't enough to increase either market share or profits. It's just so sad to see what was once such a great company has now become, i really hope they can turn it round before they vanish in a cloud of mediocrity.

PS We are now in the week 2 of 2008 any idea if and when the ten questions may be answered or if they are even going to have the decency to respond to the open letter or are we still going to see the now infamous 3 monkeys attitude from SE.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-12 20:55 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-09 16:08

On 2008-01-09 16:02:38, Dogmann wrote:
@Mizzle

Finding Networks is not the problem try connecting to them and then see what happens? as many with the P1 all state they can find Networks no problem they problems start when they want to surf and get strange no getaway found messages. Maybe SE gave you a special W960 with super powers as you like them so much and work so heard in defending all thier faults and lack of action.

PS We are now in the week 2 of 2008 any idea if and when the ten questions may be answered or if they are even going to have the decency to respond to the open letter or are we still going to see the now infamous 3 monkeys attitude from SE.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-09 15:03 ]

Marc,
I did connect to this network (using WPA-SPK encryption) and was in fact able to use the connection. So, as said, I don't know what has changed compared to P990, but its WiFi performance definitely has.

(about the questions, I have said that I'll ask my contact for an update once he gets back from CES)
SE forever
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 00:22
Marc,

This "demand paging" you are referring to in a alot of posts all over Esato when you promote Nokia N95 over SE phones and that you say has increased the battery life with 25% in N95. This is completely wrong, the Demand paging has nothing at all to do with the increased battery time.

The one thing "Demand paging" does is that Nokia dont have to copy all their code to the RAM memory and exceute it from there, instead they use a "page cache" and page in new code on "demand". The end result is that you free upp RAM memory for the applications but it also makes the phone run slower (compare with Windows when you need to load things from windows swap file) since you will get "page faults" and then you have to load the wanted code from the NAND memory and copy it to the page cache so you can execute it. The boot time for applications will though get faster since you dont need to load the complete application at one time to RAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_paging

http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/demandpaging/index.html

Just felt I needed to enlighten you about this issue since I got a little tired of reading incorrect information in your posts. Hope you dont mind.

Pete101 - Sorry if this was a little bit off topic from WLAN and WIFI capabilities of these two phones. It seems very clear to me if we belive what the different users here has written, N95 better videorecoring and SE W960 better WiFi connection. Your choice!

[ This Message was edited by: SE forever on 2008-01-09 23:26 ]
SIGHUP
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 06:31
Thanks for "enlightening" us on the demand paging. Works for me, runs faster than other N95s, so that's all I care about.

I own a N95-2 8GB and I was also at a crossroads over this and a W960. I really wanted the W960, but the touchscreen gimmick was not enough for me. The lower 15 fps QVGA video recording wasn't very attractive. But what really turned me away was the lack of 850 band.

It did have the led light which I adore so much in SE phones, but that wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Wifi works just fine at my place, works all the way down the bathroom at the end of the hall. About 10 meters. The GPS is not as quick to lock, but it does the job.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 07:18
@SE forever

May i suggest instead of taking the information you read on Wikipedia as facts which they aren't you actually do a little bit more research before deciding to criticise me when it is very obvious you actually unfortunately don't have a clue what you are talking about.

A side effect of Demand Paging is it is kinder on battery life or are you trying to tell me that all the reviewers and users of the device are all just imagining it. You quite simply wouldn't know because you haven't used it on any devcie and SE doesn't have it yet on any of thier devcies try reading this.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]showthread.php?t=66910&page=10

I admit originally it was reported to give approx 25% better battery life but in fact this has now been adjusted to just 20% still pretty amazing for any devcie and still proving you totally and utterly wrong with your claims. At least when i a wrong i apologise for my mistake to the forum it will be interesting to see if you have the strength of character to do the same.

So as for your "Just felt I needed to enlighten you about this issue since I got a little tired of reading incorrect information in your posts. Hope you dont mind."

I hope you haven't minded me enlightening you as to the error of your beliefs and you will no longer post incorrect information on the Forum claiming it as facts whilst accusing others of misleading the Forum, i hope you don't mind me pointing this out to you either.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-10 06:24 ]
rockerZ
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 08:19
@Mizzle

That has to be the stupediest thing ive ever heard on earth ... N95 got hardly any signals and W960 got full signals ... LMAO ...

@Guy whose thread this is

Dude , go for N95 8GB with no doubt ... N95 8GB's accelerometer is getting used alot nowadays , and new things are being made with it ... And in sometime it will used just as a game console ... infact it really is being used as game console ... People are using the TV Out feature , NokMote , and Quake and playing it on TV , and it looks as if though its some kind of video game console ( though , the quality of the game is not like those that u have on REAL Video game consoles , but the quality is enough for playing games )

As for Video Recording , The N95 8 gig records at 30 FPS , and W960 at 15 FPS , So definately N95 8 gig has better video recording , though its not really DVD LIKE QUALITY ...

Regarding WiFi ,
Well the WiFi's don't have much difference AFAIK from people reviews ... I mean wat bizzle said was totally wrong ... " On w960 i was getting full signals , on N95 i was getting hardly any signals " that statement IS TOTALLY WRONG or Should i SAY FAKE! ...
i GuesS you don't really have to worry abt the WiFi , im telling from my personal experience that the WiFi's don't have much difference ...

So overall i would say that go for N95 8 GIG , its a great choice
I love my K750 !
I love my N73 Music Edition !
I love my Sony Ericsson K810 !
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 09:20
@Pete 101

Also rockerZ forgot to mention the N95 8GB now has Flash Lite 3.0 support in the browser for viewing and searching YouTube or any other site that uses Flash.

Obviously at the end of the day it's your money and your choice but one is the most advanced Multimedia smart phone that continues to improve with fast releases of new firmware and the other well just isn't it's all old except for a snazzy new Walkman interface whoop dee do.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-10 08:20 ]
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 10:56
Does anyone even uses WIFI "B" nowadays when "N" is out??!! 2008 and SE is still stuck on the almost obsolete and ancient "B" frequencies on their flagship UIQ 'business' devices. lol

rockerZ
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 11:00

On 2008-01-10 10:56:05, Dextrr wrote:
Does anyone even uses WIFI "B" nowadays when "N" is out??!! 2008 and SE is still stuck on the almost obsolete and ancient "B" frequencies on their flagship UIQ 'business' devices. lol

Exactly.But people like 'Mizzle' say that thE "B" frequencies get FULL signals , compared to the frequencies in N95 and say that it hardly gets any signals ...

LOL , these people who say this really have to get a life
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 11:02

What do you think the battery life would be like in devices with Wi-fi N? It has a 100M range and is up to 10 times as fast as G.

Its much too powerful for the batteries used in mobile phones. I guess its fine if you don't mind a phone with a battery that would drain in a couple of hours but for mobile phones a lower power version of WiFi is more suitable in order to extend battery time.

Who really needs up to 600Mbps on a mobile phone? My laptop WiFi at home uses only 54Mbps and I find that more then enough.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2008-01-10 10:21 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-10 14:46

On 2008-01-10 11:00:25, rockerZ wrote:

Exactly.But people like 'Mizzle' say that thE "B" frequencies get FULL signals , compared to the frequencies in N95 and say that it hardly gets any signals ...

LOL , these people who say this really have to get a life

Dude, are you even capable of saying that the N95 has a better reception than W960? Have you got the phones or have you had them? OK, thought so. It appears that I do in fact own the W960 right now and have recently sold my old N95 because I was extremely tired of it.

Again, W960 is way better than N95 at picking up networks and the b/g standards has nothing to do with the reception strength (in case you didn't know).

And no, I never said that B gets full signals, I named an example where I got one at full connection strength and three others that none of the computers nor smart phones found, with the exception of my home computer that found one of the networks.

And how dare you say that I need a life when you're the one making those replies???????

@Dogmann

So, you're saying that the P990 and W960 share the same hardware, right? And thereby also WLAN chip. So the results should be the same. How's this? The picture was taken right after the phones had completed a WLAN search and I have not moved the anywhere - this is where they were (right next to each other) when searching.

Explanation, please.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 15:17
@Mizzzle

The P990 was a complete and utter piece of **** the W960 is obviously improved over the last year and a bit as they have worked on it but it still uses the now ancient Nexperia chip which is why it doesn't have HSDPA in a smart phone that launched end of 2007 and still no decent Video recording either.

Go read Steve Litchfields review over @ALL ABOUT SYMBIAN as even he says it is the best UIQ3 devcie so far but please don't try and tell me it is technically advanced or is running anywhere near cutting edge hardware as I'll just laugh at you.

As for your incredible WiFi findings all i can say is i have never had any problem either finding or connecting to any Network on any of my E series or N series devcies. Maybe you had a bad N95, what firmware did it have? as i have never had any problems with either the original or 8GB. But to be honest for some one that has such an extreme bias towards SE it really is hard to accept your statements as truth as others appear to think as well not just me.

One last thing i noticed in the picture how come the W960 doesn't have the blue triangle over the signal indicator? and also why are both phones on mute?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-10 14:24 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-10 15:43

On 2008-01-10 15:17:18, Dogmann wrote:
@Mizzzle

The P990 was a complete and utter piece of **** the W960 is obviously improved over the last year and a bit as they have worked on it but it still uses the now ancient Nexperia chip which is why it doesn't have HSDPA in a smart phone that launched end of 2007 and still no decent Video recording either.

Go read Steve Litchfields review over @ALL ABOUT SYMBIAN as even he says it is the best UIQ3 devcie so far but please don't try and tell me it is technically advanced or is running anywhere near cutting edge hardware as I'll just laugh at you.

As for your incredible WiFi findings all i can say is i have never had any problem either finding or connecting to any Network on any of my E series or N series devcies. Maybe you had a bad N95, what firmware did it have? as i have never had any problems with either the original or 8GB. But to be honest for some one that has such an extreme bias towards SE it really is hard to accept your statements as truth as others appear to think as well not just me.

One last thing i noticed in the picture how come the W960 doesn't have the blue triangle over the signal indicator? and also why are both phones on mute?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-10 14:24 ]

But that's what you've been saying all along isn't it? That it makes use of the same old crap and that it's the same performance.

I don't need to read Steve's review - mainly because he's a hardcore Nokia & S60 addict, but because I've had mine for a longer time than he has and I know much more about UIQ than he'll ever know. Besides, I've done a much larger review of the phone myself with the conclusion that it's the best phone atm.

No, I'm not saying I had any WLAN problems with it myself with the exception of when I was in my room and it had extreme difficulties in finding the network. But now that I've got W960 and can see that not only does it perform excellent where the N95 did as well, but also in my room, which in my opinion makes it the best in terms of network reception. The fact that it - on the paper - does not support g networks has nothing to do with this, and I think we should not discuss it in this thread Anyway, the N95 was on the latest (I can't remember what it was called - v20 or something?) - the one with demand paging.
Please cut the crap about the bias. Sure, I love products, but I'm in no way biased. Why do you think I even got a N95 in the first place? Simply because I was sick of laying on its back and I wanted something new with more features. But now that I've got the W960 I have no regrets selling my N95, and for me, W960 feels like a much better phone that does what SE said it would (not like Nokia saying the N95 is your tour guide on travels, and then turns out to have a crappy GPS). Agreed, it's not the most feature rich smart phone out there, but it sure as hell is in the top league. And it sure as hell performs like it's suppose to

Oh, that's just because I'm using a PAYG SIM on W960 and there is no more money on the SIM, so GPRS is disabled from the operator until I put on more money About mute, that's just how I like them
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 15:57
@Mizzle

Well besides your modesty amazing me as you really believe you know more than some one that actually earns there living as a technical reviewer of all smart phones not just S60. Who also has many years experience and knowledge on you at your age and has most probably forgotten more than you actually know well what can i say other than i am truly stunned at your arrogance and over inflated self worth I'm surprised you and your ego can fit in the same room.

Well how about you swap the Sims then as i am interested to see what happens when the GPRS signal is being sent and received and if that will effect the performance of the WiFi strength or not as 3 of those Networks hardly show a signal at all and the P990 is only one off the full signal of 3 as opposed to 5 available for the W960 be interesting to see if that makes a difference or not as both should be compared under exactly the same conditions shouldn't they? for a for a fair comparison.

Also if you had bothered reading any of my posts or reviews you would know that i consider any built in GPS to be bad and an inferior solution to using a separate GPS Receiver and my Sat Nav software of choice is Tom Tom 6.

Sorry i really can't see how you consider a smart phone that doesn't have HSDPA late 2007 early 2008 to be top league I'll excuse the poor under powered processor or the fact it takes 5 seconds the first time you try to open messages or Calendar as due to the extra Ram they can now be left running in the background. But sorry you are only fooling yourself if you think the W960 is top performing smart phone it is a patched up W950 nothing more and nothing less. Until SE release there next generation of smart phone they are all still running 2006 spec with some extra Ram and much need shortcuts which were missing in the original devcies, you really aren't fooling anyone with your claims.

One last thing is it really necessary to quote my whole post from directly above you as many visit Esato via thier mobiles or even Wap and all that extra scrolling for no good reason really is tedious for them. Please be a little more considerate to your fellow Esato users.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-01-12 21:00 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-10 16:12
I'm speaking the truth. They should have had Rafe reviewing the phone as he's way more talented in regards to UIQ, while Steve should have stuck to S60 articles and reviews. Anyhow, that's not what this thread is about, is it.

There's absolutely no difference. The SIM used in the P990 was a PAYG card as well with no money on it. GPRS, calls, texts, etc. doesn't work no matter what. Anyhow the result was the same, when there was money on the W960 sim card.

(I have read your reviews of the N95 GPS, and agree, btw, but that's still not the point of this thread. And neither is the fact about quotes, but for the good sake of the ones caring about a kilobyte more on the data expenses when using WAP, this post is without quotes )
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi