Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > K770i Memory Card Slot

Author K770i Memory Card Slot
XtremeCat
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 04:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all (this one's gonna be long)

When I bought my K770i and tried to put in the Sony M2 512MB memory card that was supplied with it, my phone kept telling me that there was no memory card inserted. 5mins later it started working but then it stopped again. I tried the memory card in a friends phone and it worked. I tried their memory card in my phone and it worked. But still when I tried my one in my phone again it didn't work.
We later found out that it worked if someone pushed it in all the way and kept their finger there. My friend suggested that I stick some paper in there so that extra weight would be pushing on it.
And, like an idiot, I listened to his advice and now there is paper stuck in my slot. I tried fishing it out with a needle/pin but it just shoved the paper in even further.

Is there any way to lift up the silver top that covers where the memory card goes into so I can remove it?
Or am I doomed?

Please help!
sranjanm2002
W995 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 04:51
O God ! Handle with care !
I Cyber-shot
I
I Madonna
I
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 04:53
format the mem card, maybe that solves the problem ( it had to be done sometimes ). hopefully thats all, if not, then the m2 is faulty or sg is wrong with the slot. in that case, let it check in an se service or at your provider ( if u got it from one )
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
XtremeCat
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 04:57
Thanks for the replies guys.
I was in the midst of formatting the memory card...but then it stopped working again.

My real problem is do you know if there is any way to lift the silver lid of the memory card slot just a little bit so I can take the paper out? (without damaging the insides of course)
Or will I have to take it to a repair shop?
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 05:00
u shouldnt mess around with it, just take it to a shop and let it checked by experts. if its new, u should have also warranty, so the service is free for u then.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Erotomaniac
K770 Bronze
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 05:34
Good luck to you on the paper thingie. I'm not so sure that's covered by your warranty.

If all goes according to plan, I maybe a bonafide owner of a k770 in a couple of hours.

I'll post any findings regarding the silver thingie.

BTW, yours came with a 512 card? I thought the one that came with the package is 256mb?

[ This Message was edited by: Erotomaniac on 2008-01-06 04:35 ]
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 13:30

On 2008-01-06 04:53:18, BobaFett wrote:
format the mem card, maybe that solves the problem ( it had to be done sometimes ). hopefully thats all, if not, then the m2 is faulty or sg is wrong with the slot. in that case, let it check in an se service or at your provider ( if u got it from one )

IMHO, I do not think that the memory card is faulty, since it seems to work with other phones. A format does not help anyway. My guess is that it is an unlucky combination of tolerance differences of the contact specifications in the card reader in the phone and the contact surfaces on the memory card. In short, the contacts are a little too short in the phone, and this particular memory card is also a little too short, maybe only thenths of millimeters, but still, the contacts do not connect properly. (Cleaning the contct surfaces on the M2 might help) The phone is probably still on warranty and should be replaced/repaired, but this paper thingy can make a warranty claim difficult, however. It may be possible to lift out the paper with a sharp needle with a hook at the tip.
Once the paper is removed, the simplest solution would be to try with anothe memory card, the 512M and even the 1G cards are fairly cheap nowadays.

[ This Message was edited by: altemyr on 2008-01-06 12:32 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 13:37
It's a faulty memory card. Has happened to me as well, but never the one supplied with the phone.

I simply went to the shop and said that it wasn't working and let them test it out on my phone and then with a working card. Got a new one both times One of them even let me keep the old card so I could try to get it to work
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-06 13:46
Umm, based on what you've said, are you sure your pushing it in until it clicks into place? You won't believe the number of people dumb enough to just place it and not understand why it's not working, and hopeing the back cover/memory card door will keep it in.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
XtremeCat
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-06 21:20

On 2008-01-06 13:30:44, altemyr wrote:

IMHO, I do not think that the memory card is faulty, since it seems to work with other phones. A format does not help anyway. My guess is that it is an unlucky combination of tolerance differences of the contact specifications in the card reader in the phone and the contact surfaces on the memory card. In short, the contacts are a little too short in the phone, and this particular memory card is also a little too short, maybe only thenths of millimeters, but still, the contacts do not connect properly. (Cleaning the contct surfaces on the M2 might help) The phone is probably still on warranty and should be replaced/repaired, but this paper thingy can make a warranty claim difficult, however. It may be possible to lift out the paper with a sharp needle with a hook at the tip.
Once the paper is removed, the simplest solution would be to try with anothe memory card, the 512M and even the 1G cards are fairly cheap nowadays.

[ This Message was edited by: altemyr on 2008-01-06 12:32 ]

I agree with the contacts being too short. I tried blowing the contacts on the memory card and then blew in the memory card slot and it did work for a couple of minutes.
I am pushing it till it clicks, if i want it to work with me helping it I have to push it in all the way even past when it clicks.
I'll try the needle with a hook suggestion and if it doesn't work, will take it to a phone shop to see if they can open it.
If I do get it out I'll deffo buy a 1GB memory card. I've seen them on amazon for about £7 a pop but I think I'll have to get a SanDisk one.
My phone has some kind of Sony memory card prejudice
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-01-23 10:30
Sony or SanDisk does not matter. I believe that they are made in the same factory. At least the M2 memory Stick format was designed and developed by Sony and SanDisk together, at least, that is what they say in the news flashes. The only difference is the label that is printed on the memory card at the end of the production line, and the packaging. Also, for some for me unknown reason, the Sony brand is somewhat more expensive.
eskrima1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-08-21 16:12
hey guys... i've got a similar but slighty stupid problem.

just got a new k770i and when i turn it on it asks me if i want to format the memory stick...? i say yes... then type my code "0000"

then it says "formatting failed"

anyone got any ideas????

many thanks

t
centur
C902 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-21 16:42

On 2008-08-21 16:12:01, eskrima1 wrote:
hey guys... i've got a similar but slighty stupid problem.

just got a new k770i and when i turn it on it asks me if i want to format the memory stick...? i say yes... then type my code "0000"

then it says "formatting failed"

anyone got any ideas????

many thanks

t

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=172427#post2390780
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi