Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > P800 in the Philippines?

Author P800 in the Philippines?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 08:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2003-01-08 08:17, arnoldc wrote:
the P800 is supposed to have better software than the 7650, for example Citrix WinFrame client will be available. Sybase database has been shown by SE already. Oracle to follow soon. It's not the quantity of applications that matter, it's the quality. If only the P800 has (as in now) ListPro, Expensable, Documents to Go (or similar), I'll buy it in a blink.

What does Listpro do? Expensables..not yet (There's a program called JABP, but it looks very dull), Docs to go..for what? Websites? Or just to read word,text, etc? The P800 has built in readers for Word, Excel, Txt, and PDF. Reqwireless has a browser for the P800 that can use any connection method (GPRS, IR, BT, or cable) to surf the web. And I think you can save pages as well.

As far as database SW is concerned... Oracle and CA are developing programs FOR the P800... check out Se's P800 site and check out the Software section... SE has major agreements w/ game developers, CA and Oracle.
miggz
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:17
Hey guys! P800 is already available here in the philippines! Just saw one at MEMOEXPRESS Sta. Lucia branch! The price? ... P39K!!!! damn! you can buy a palm m515, (get a free creative mp3 player) and a cony cybershot U, and it'll only set you back P29K! (you got a PDA, MP3 PLAYER, and a DIGITAL CAM!) I think they failed to give the p800 a competitive price... guess i have to wait...
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:24
medyo late ka na sa balita ah
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:29
jplacson, ListPro is list management. can be used for things such as inventory, groceries, DVD list, etc. etc. etc. Expensable is Travel and Expense Management originally sold by Quicken, now taken over by Expensable.com. Documents to Go are Word, Powerpoint, and Spreadsheet FULL apps, not viewers popular for Palm-based PDAs. How about project management which I also have. These are the REAL applications that I am using.

I'd love to see these on the P800. In fact, the office suite that runs on the old Epoc (where Symbian is based) is superb. Epoc has quality applications which I hope would make to the P800.

[ This Message was edited by: arnoldc on 2003-01-08 08:32 ]
jcpsad
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:51
Quote:

On 2003-01-08 07:55, jplacson wrote:
You can't lug around a P40K PC in your pocket can you? For me, the best mobile solutions for, more or less, the same price are:

1.)P800
2.)Palm TT and SE T68i
3.)M505 and T68i (Although, why bother? the P800 has a better screen than all the older Palms!)

IDEAL mobile solutions for more money:
1.)P800 or T68i AND Clie NX70 w/ Bluetooth module
2.)P800 or T68i and the newest iPaq w/ Bluetooth

Just for mondo... get a BT plug for your iBook! I'll check around for the update on iSync and the P800

why the hell do i have to put the PC in my pocket? you missed the point man... study your lesson first! P800 is not even comparable with some PDA's around...
www.photos.panelo.com
www.panelo.com
www.bilog.panelo.com
www.pbalive.panelo.com
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:53
@miggz
But all those gadgets will not fit into one pocket.
The P800 is several gadgets in one package... that's what makes it valuable.

@arnoldc
I think epocware already came out with an app for the P800.
It is the P800 version of "handysafe" (initially for the N9210 and 7650). But I don't think it's a worthwhile app.
Their nokia apps are also limited at this point.
...i've never owned a PDA before and this may be one of my prospects. Im don't think i need the programs that you are looking for. I'm just waiting for the price to go down, for some worthwhile apps to come out, and a few paychecks in the coming months.

@jplacson
Is the Word, excel reader able to edit and manipulate the file? Or is it a plain reader?

[ This Message was edited by: jomni1 on 2003-01-08 09:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jomni1 on 2003-01-08 09:04 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 10:03
Ok, other than the new Palm TT, iPaq, and new Sony Clie NX70... what other PDA's are better???? And I'm not talking about apps since these are 3rd party.

I'd get the P800 just for Jot! Jot ALWAYS left Graffiti in the dust. (Jot, BTW, is a Symbian program that was out back in the late 90's) I believe handwriting recognition should recognize NORMAL handwriting, not some weird scribble pattern.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 10:21
And for those of you who complain about the price...check the price of the LATEST PDAs as well... How much is the new Clie NX70? The NEW iPaq? How much to add the GSM jacket for the iPaq? How much for the Bluetooth Memorystick for the Clie? And to those people who say "Well, I don't use Bluetooth." or "I don't need an mp3 player in my phone." ... NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO BUY THE P800!!!!

Those of us who DO USE those features, we did buy the P800.

It's a FREE MARKET! If you're soooo attached to Graffiti and Palm, then by God... stick with it!!!! OS5 is beautiful on the Palm TT and Clie NXseries (specially on the 320x480 screen)!!! Flash plays great and all!!! The new iPaq is great as well, great screen, Bluetooth, syncs with Outlook just fine! All the NEW PDAs handle multimedia really well. (The NX70 and iPaq were my other options aside from the P800..the Palm TT is great too cuz it already has BT, but I loved the screen of the Clie more)

Buy what you want! I'm happy with my P800, even after trying out the NX and iPaq cuz surfing on the P800 was a lot easier via GPRS. Besides, if your PDA doesn't have BT built in... you use up your memory slot just for the BT module!
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 15:04
@jplacson

If you surf the web (not wap) thru gprs, how much do you think it will cost? Is it about .50 per Kb? Kung ganun baka naman mahal ang monthly bill.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 17:43
Yup P0.50/Kb. Did you expect wireless Internet to be free? I can surf the web for free when I'm at home, using Bluetooth and Reqwireless' browser. When I'm out, I surf using GPRS.

Have any fellow P800 owners tried the LIVE CAMERAS link?!??!?! HOLY CRAP!!! The streaming video is sooooooo smooth!!! And I mean, 15fps!!!! This is over Globe's GPRS!!! Live cams in Paris, London and NY! Meanwhile, our local traffic cams are just still photos, updated every minute!
revolc26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 17:50
hi there jplacson... u already have p800?? where did u bought it? ty
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 18:16
Yup, Mondo, 619 and I got them last Saturday. Got it from Globotel, EXCELLENT place in front of Greenbelt 2, in the Coronado building.

Already got a screen protector for it... emailed the dude who makes Brando screen protectors... gave him the screen specs... he said he'll try to have a P800 protector out in 2 weeks.

Thanks again to mondo for the inside info, and for getting us the first few P800 units!
Rashkae
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-10 01:42
@jplacson: How much did you pay for your unit?
ManofTrueGod
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-01-13 00:24
Quote:

On 2002-12-26 05:37, warp86 wrote:
9210 powerful???? you must be dreamin dude, check & compare.......

I was out on the market looking for an R380e when I got caught in the Sony and Ericsson merger and the phone got cancelled.

I bought the 9210 instead kasi I don't want to carry my laptop with me and then a phone to connect to my emails, web, and create/edit documents from the field. At that time, the R380e didn't come close.

Everything else sa akin bonus na outside of the Office features.

Imagine editing your proposals, spreadsheet, reviewing a Powerpoint presentation, reading your emails, etc. allowing you to work from the field, without a heavy laptop with you. If that is not powerful, probably, you are not that mobile! Kaya nga lang, hindi ready for GPRS ang transmission Kahit alang bluetooth di naman siya show-stopper kung laptop replacement ang priorities mo.

When your customer asks of you to give them a price, for something, and instead of bringing out a thick folder, you bring out your 9210 and re-compute the proposal, that is neat.

Now, imagine if all of that were made possible on a P800 with landscape orientation (ala R380)! Sayang sabi ng SE naghahanap pa sila ng gagawa noon based on the guys I exchanged emails with since I asked about the R380e replacement.

And if the batteries can support you - getting entertained with MP3 while working on a proposal and discussing it on the phone with someone else, that is neat.

Now imagine if Nokia shrinks the next generation 92xx with keyboard intact and everything else that the P800 has, that is doubly neat.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-13 00:37
The 9210 was great when it went out. You can do the same on your pda and phone combo - and more. But i don't agree that these devices can be called as laptop replacements. Not at this stage, getting close but not quite.

This message was posted from a T68i

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi