Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Can you fake a mobile number for SMS?

123  Next
Author Can you fake a mobile number for SMS?
Hawky2000
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 11:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
One of the girls I work with is claiming I've sent text messages to her that I haven't! Is it possible to fake the number that a text message comes from?
Ive spoken to Orange who have said that on a digital network it is impossible (along with phone cloning)
As far as I know there is NO way that anyone could have got hold of my phone to send them.

I need to be certain before calling her a liar...

Any help would B GREATLY appreciated...

[ This Message was edited by: Hawky2000 on 2002-12-18 10:47 ]
Z___Z
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 11:52
Yes its possible. In the early days when there were a lot of free sms sites there were sites where you could enter a number as sender. This could be any number.

This post was posted from a T68i

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 11:55
Yes,it is possible to send sms with ur number but from the internet.here in my country,my mobile prov has a sms site,where i register with my number and when i send sms appears my own number without any extra info sayin its from the net.maybe she got this kind of account with ur number then sent sms.

This post was posted from a Nokia

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 11:58
But faking the number from a phone is virtually impossible as all the work and traffic is done in servers...no way in my op.if it helps,i can tell u u can hide a number when sending sms.

Janimalius
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:00
Dude, maybe she likes you? Don'T call her a liar though ;-)

Hawky2000
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:01
Cheers but I don't need to 'hide' a number...

Could NE1 give me an example of a site that I could show her to prove it isn't me?

It might be that someone else is trying to cause trouble, in which case I ain't gonna accuse her of lying...
2tangy
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:28
Has she shown you the text message that apparently has your number attached to it?

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:28
As the other guy said, 'in the old days' it was possible.THESE DAYS they send u the temporary password on ur mobile so no prob should arise.BUT..i know a site that requires mail only: www.1rstwap.com.

Hawky2000
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:48
She hasn't shown me the text messages and I am 'allmost' certain that she's making it all up... I don't think NE1 else has seen them either...

That site, by the way, DOES require that you have the mobile number that you enter... It sends a Pass code to the phone number...

I was hoping that I could send a txt to her from her own number but am getting more and more certain that she is making it all up...

She gave a number to my boss that she said was mine and when he rang it someone answered who WASNT me... Is that possible if it was my number?

[ This Message was edited by: Hawky2000 on 2002-12-18 12:07 ]
ripburger
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:09
@701:

That's what I've been trying for a long time: hiding my number when sending a SMS...

How do I go about that?

Markus
Silex
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:15
Yes it's possible to fake a number. Two years ago, I used to downloaded a SMS generator (a client one) were I could put any number. It did use the mtnsms gateway to send the messages. It did work quite well. But I don't remember the name of the software and I think that Mtnsms is dead in the meantime. But it means that technically, you can do it.
2tangy
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:22
Hang on, you just said your boss rang the number and that it wasnt your phone that rang. So surely its that other person whose phone did ring thats causing it all Isnt it? I'o sure i've missed something here so feel free to correct me :)

Hawky2000
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:29
Ok, the story goes...

She said that I'd been sending her text messages, which at first I thought was a wind up but it appears she was serious... She gave my bos a number which she said was mine and was the number she had got the text messages off... He rang this number but it wasn't me that answered... (He can't remember the number unfortunately)

She spoke to me about it and rang a number whilst I was there and someone else answered, she said this number was mine but I didn't see it and she hung up as soon as they answered...

I don't think that anyone has realy seen the text messages and she hasn't saved them...

All the evidence seems to point to her talking out of her behind but would rather give an alternative (ie, faking a number) than calling her a liar direct... (She might not want to own up now that other people are involved...)

End of essay At least now I know that it is possible to do it...
Cophia
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:47

If it's really a problem her operator will have the ability to pull out all the SMS messages sent to her mobile (they are stored from the network and backed up onto tape).

If she believes that someone is making a nusience SMS then she should report it to the police - it'l also get you off the hook as they can match it to your records to see if you sent the message from your phone (don't forget there is always an audit trail, for billing if nothing else).

Hawky2000
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-18 13:50
Don't think it's gonna B that much of a problem.

The boss is having a word with her and if nothing else I'll get my bill in the new year which will show EXACTLY what has been sent.

I've told the boss to suggest that she speaks to the police or at least her service provider...

Thanks for any and all help given
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi