Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > e-mail from a UK mobile to a Japanese mobile or PC.

Author e-mail from a UK mobile to a Japanese mobile or PC.
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 09:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello everyone!

I want to send e-mails to Japanese mobiles and PC's, using pop or imap, but the SE T68i won't do it. Get the error 'invalid text' or 'invalid character set'. Returned mail shows the same messages!

The Ericsson R380 could not send e-mail successfully either.

I bought a Panasonic GD87 on Orange and that worked and I could even send pictures to the Japanese mobile but strangely it stopped working!! The MMS only worked once!! and Orange tech support have no ideas as to why. So the Panasonic has been returned!

I know it is possible because the old Sony J5e could do it!

ANy ideas or advice would be much appreciated

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2002-12-18 08:47 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-18 12:58
Hi again!

Is this question so technically difficult to answer?

Do any Asian members in Esato have Japanese friends who they e-mail? I know Japan doesn't have a GSM network and only have maybe, two switchable GSM/PDS phones.

Any advice or info. is much appreciated!

Ofiaich
joberns
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-12-20 04:53
hi there! i have friends from tokyo...and i email them using pop3. they get my messages but when they reply all i get is 'invalid character set'. I can't get their messages. they've tried a lot of times but i just cant read their replies. 'invalid character set' appears on their messages.
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-21 01:01
Hi Joberns,

thanks for your reply. It is interesting that they get your messages! You are using a T68i?

I get this error message but what I find so strange is that the Panasonic GD87, that I had for 10 days, worked but only for five e-mails.

I sent a mail and picture successfully to a Japanese mobile and the copy to the PC was read too I then received a mail and picture to my Panasonic...all using Pop and smtp... but after that it never worked.

Panasonic seem to think that, because e-mail is routed through many servers before it arrives at its destination, the code is probably encoded and recoded by the servers, en-route. Therefore, it was lucky that I was successful a few times.

Does it make sense about servers en-route?

If I bought a PDA and used my T68i as a modem, does anyone think I could successfully send e-mail to Japan? ( I have a Sony VAOI but don't want to carry that around!! )

I also think I could put CJK support on a PDA and maybe even send in Japanese??

Any advice welcomed!!

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2002-12-21 00:02 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi