Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > The O2 iPhone discussion thread

Previous  123 45 ... 151617  Next
Author The O2 iPhone discussion thread
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 10:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
just one word: .......... "Marketing"

Actually Apple do far less iPhone marketing than Sony Ericsson do for their phones.

There are Sony Ericsson press ads, TV ads, posters, promotions, in-store stuff all over the place for their phones.

The iPhone TV ad only started airing a few days before launch. O2 stores didn't have anything about the iPhone in them until a week before launch.

Everything you've seen and heard about the iPhone (since its announcement) is from the media. 'Free' advertising from web-sites, TV programs, magazine articles etc.

Apple never even gave reporters an iPhone to review until a week before its launch.

I bet Sony Ericsson, Nokia & Motorola wish they could have even 10% of the free media coverage Apple gets when they release a new product, but it never happens.

When was the last time the launch of any new phone from any other manufacturer made it onto mainstream peak viewing time news, on every TV channel?
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-10 11:48
Let's be very clear. The UI on the iPhone is the best on any handset, FULL STOP! No others even remotely compare.

Sending texts is just as quick as anyother handset, once you have used the phone for more than a week or so. The keypad is very easy to use and quick to gwt used to. The only slight issue can be the predictive character input, where it alters the keynoard mapping for the most common next letter, this can make it hard to type exactly what you want. HOWEVER, the predictive text can usually fix any of these issues.

The iPhone lacks features that some people just can't live without. 3G, MMS, Bluetooth File Transfer, Business Card Sending and Video Capture.

Of these the only one that annoys me is lack of BT file transfer, but hey i'll get over it. As a music/video device, show me something better and I will eat my foot. Add to that you can use it as a phone with what I consider a good sms UI, and easy phone use with excellent sound quality, and you have a real goer of a phone.

There is no other phone on the market IMHO that even comes close to it, and that is from someone who said he would never get one. The UI makes it SOOOOO much better than any other phone on the market.

And don't even dare to compare it to an N95, because that still has the worst UI I have played with since the N80 lol. Nokia need to get a serious grip. the Viewty doesn't compare, and I await the final W960 to see if it does, because the proto I have is good and with a few changes then maybe we have a real competitor. P1 is a good advesary, however just doesn't compete on calander, contacts, UI, Music and Video playback.

You can hate the fact that it's a "poser" phone, and I have no issue with you doing that. However, please don'y make out that it isn't a good device, as there is just no backing for it. once you have actually used one then you will see. it's by no means perfect and I look forward to the upgrade next year, hopefully they will add most of the lacking features, however, not BT transfer lol.

If you are going to "bash" something at least have a firm grounding of the device, and have actually seen one and used it. Don't just deride something based on a TV show.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Marc_SE
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-10 12:04

On 2007-11-10 03:51:17, Bhavv wrote:
And by looking at my friends and people that have bought I pods in the past and that would love to have an i phone, when it actually comes to technology, most people buying apple products are pretty stupid. Its usually cases of just buying them as fashion accessories or because they are cool and everyone else has one so you must buy one too. Apple products are more of a trend for the average person, they dont actually favor technology or features whatsoever.

That's quite a sweeping statement, isn't it Bhavv?

I'm not sure what alot of professionals (graphic designers, magazine editors, website desginers, etc. and all others) who use Macs in the workplace would have to say about that?
Mobile 1: 07***118776 Apple iPhone4
Mobile 2: 07***118776 BB Bold 9700
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 12:29
so how do i get this unlocked and activated then without signing up for a new contract?
OBEY GAINT
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 12:57
Apple products are more of a trend for the average person, they dont actually favor technology or features whatsoever.

LOL! You really are showing your complete and utter lack of knowledge about Apple products.

Technology and features aren't everything to everyone, except geeks. Most people just want a product to work, work well, and easily. That's where Apple excels. They make complicated technology easy to use for non-geeks.

It is a well known fact that most people don't use most of the features in a phone. Most of the advanced features are too much trouble to set-up and use for the average man in the street.

How many of the billions of phone owners actually ever use thier phone to connect a laptop to the internet? A very very small minority. So most people would miss the lack of such a feature. Same goes for other missing iPhone features compared to some other phones.

Apple have been the first to market with many - now commonplace - technologies in their desktop and laptop computers. I'm not saying they invented all the technologies, but they've been the first to use them in mass market products.

Before making such sweeping statements, you should actually do some research, because it becoming clearer and clearer with each successive pst of yours, you know next to nothing about Apple products, and their history.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 12:59

On 2007-11-10 12:57:52, JoolsG4 wrote:
Apple products are more of a trend for the average person, they dont actually favor technology or features whatsoever.

LOL! You really are showing your complete and utter lack of knowledge about Apple products.

Technology and features aren't everything to everyone, except geeks. Most people just want a product to work, work well, and easily. That's where Apple excels. They make complicated technology easy to use for non-geeks.

It is a well known fact that most people don't use most of the features in a phone. Most of the advanced features are too much trouble to set-up and use for the average man in the street.

How many of the billions of phone owners actually ever use thier phone to connect a laptop to the internet? A very very small minority. So most people would miss the lack of such a feature. Same goes for other missing iPhone features compared to some other phones.

Apple have been the first to market with many - now commonplace - technologies in their desktop and laptop computers. I'm not saying they invented all the technologies, but they've been the first to use them in mass market products.

Before making such sweeping statements, you should actually do some research, because it becoming clearer and clearer with each successive pst of yours, you know next to nothing about Apple products, and their history.

hoorah!

where would we be without firewire?

I still can't see a USB device that can be daisy chained....
ayejatt
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 21:27
so you can go into CPW or apple store and buy an iphone without signing up to the 18-month contract on the spot?
[+34,-0] esato+se-nse, 63 Trades

SEs: SO905iCS White/Gold, C905, C902, 595, 810i, 850i, 880i, 890i, 900ix4, 910i, P990i, Z610i Blue, z610i Black,K800i,K550i,K610
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-10 21:34
correct, but it's useless until you go home and connect it to a contract via your computer.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 21:35

On 2007-11-10 21:27:51, ayejatt wrote:
so you can go into CPW or apple store and buy an iphone without signing up to the 18-month contract on the spot?

you only sign up to the o2 contract, when you are going through the activation process to activate your handset via itunes.
ayejatt
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 21:42
ic...thanks for clearing that up guys
[+34,-0] esato+se-nse, 63 Trades

SEs: SO905iCS White/Gold, C905, C902, 595, 810i, 850i, 880i, 890i, 900ix4, 910i, P990i, Z610i Blue, z610i Black,K800i,K550i,K610
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-10 21:59
Could I buy an iPhone from O2 without contract and use it on my existing £20 tariff?
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:02

On 2007-11-10 21:59:12, jcwhite_uk wrote:
Could I buy an iPhone from O2 without contract and use it on my existing £20 tariff?

answer is no. the phone will only work on the specific iphone tariff's available on the o2 network. unless your able to unlock your handset and try it that way. which i am not sure if it will still work, if you get it unlocked. but official line is,, with o2 and apple, that other o2 tariffs wont work with the handset.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:03

On 2007-11-10 21:35:02, Mr Miyagi wrote:

On 2007-11-10 21:27:51, ayejatt wrote:

you only sign up to the o2 contract, when you are going through the activation process to activate your handset via itunes.

this confuses me effing greatly..

So I buy the phone, it's not on contract.. therefore MY property... So does that mean O2 have to unlock it? or have ofcom/O2 said anything yet?

this takes me back, you cannot buy a non contract phone and it be locked to a network, the law doesn't allow it..

Where do us non-O2 users stand?
A L 3 X
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:30
I had a little play with the iPhone today in CPW when i was about to buy a k850i till i was told it was out of stock

It really tempted me although im already a few months into a t-mob contract and I dont think theres any way to unlock the Uk one or such......the UI was quite simple considering i've never even read an iphone review before nevermind playing with one....and the cam seemed good for a 2MP
haynesycop
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:38
I'm in the same situation, i want to get a UK iPhone, now. Will probably sell my USA one. I just started my t-mobile contract so the only thing i can think of is to reduce the tariff down to just web 'n' walk for £7.50 per month and then get the o2 contract. Only thing is will o2 let me transfer my old number back to them after the contract with t-mobile is over?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic