Esato

Forum > Network operators > Asia Pacific > The great New Zealand telecommunications battle

Previous  123 456 ... 91011  Next
Author The great New Zealand telecommunications battle
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-16 08:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
That's right. All those people with two phones who were looking forward to being able to 'just swap SIM cards' will find that their budget phones aren't compatible and that you'll need a premium US spec phone to use both networks. Quad band phones like the V640i aren't compatible because its low range frequencies only support GPRS and EDGE.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-10-16 14:13

On 2008-10-16 06:20:48, yea g wrote:
stupid telecom.

Stupid Vodafone too. Pretty ridiculous going for such an obscure frequency just so they can meet the government's requirements. Hardly anyone will be able to use it!
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-18 03:58
The thing about Vodafone is that they'll be running two frequencies for quite some time - the 900 band will be for remote rural areas only. Telecom onthe other hand will be using 850 band only and not the widely accepted 2100 band so it's gonna take sometime to get a decent supply of handsets for their network; so far only highend phones like N95, N96 and Xperia X1 are compatible so all thoseteenagers with $80 prepay Nokia's will be out of luck.

The November release has been put back to June 2009, probably to allow more time to find handsets. Telecom taking a big risk folowing the American route because the slow pace of 3G progress over there will surely limit handset availability. And if Wimax takes off over there (with Google Android aboard) Telecom could find itself with the wrong technology for the third time.

Should be interesting.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-06 03:25
Well, here we are in November and I've been looking high and low, under every rock and I still can't find the More Competitive mobile market we were all looking forward too.

• 7.2 Mbps data from Vodafone hasn't materialised.
  • 14.4 Mbps WCDMA from Telecom hasn't arrived, only a promise of 3.6Mbps HSDPA 850 in June next year with no 2G/2.5G coverage.
  • NZ Communications is looking for more investment to finish building it's network.
  • TelstraClear are giving away 1 crappy Nokia CDMA phone when you sign up to a 2yr plan.
  • Black & White have arrived with a fresh attitude and a pricing structure similar to Vodafone but without the terms. Member discounts are on phones not seen outside of importers.
  • Access to data is mildly cheaper for users signed up to an iPhone plan but other users still pay thru the nose.
  • No sign of any 7.2 Mbps USB/PCMCIA devices hitting the NZ market yet.
  • No sign of naked DSL (Landline Broadband without the phone) yet from the major players.
  • Rollout of ADSL2+ (up to 25 Mbps) has forced some ISP's to quit their own infrastructure and do a deal with the big boys - Slingshot have signed a deal to use Vodafone's Red Network (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em).
  • No 4G (LTE) until late 2010/early 2011.

Its clear that there is still only going to be two mobile networks in this country and a smattering of VMNO's (read hangers-on).
I can't see NZC getting a foothold in the market especially while Vodafone is so dominant. It will require a significant Govt subsidy and that won't be popular in this political/financial climate. Telecom is creating a network so similar to Telstra Australia's Next G that one wonders whether a sell-off is on the cards. It's a definate possibility.
Landline based ISP's are consolidating too. They either fail or give in to the major players. Well done Labour Govt, this is the environment your industry regulation has created much like the Broadcasting industry (with Sky being the dominant player) to the detrement of the public.
Perhaps the incoming National Govt can do better? Let's hope so.

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-11-07 22:23 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-11-06 03:30
Quite right carkitter. I think you should write a letter in to somebody about it. Maybe the newspapers cause I think it would get featured. Or Campbell Live even! You know your stuff so I think you could explain it well in a letter or email of complaint.

Incoming National government? God I hope not. I can't stand that John Key, and his cocky "I'm so good" grin. He is a tosser and I hope he fails. It wouldn't look good having him represent our country.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-08 02:10
TelstraClear jilted again
By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER - The Dominion Post | Monday, 27 October 2008

Telecom will not let other telcos resell connections to its new $571 million W-850 mobile network till at least 2011, dealing a major blow to TelstraClear which re-entered the mobile market last year after striking a deal to resell Telecom's current CDMA network.
more...

So the market gets less and less competitive. By 2011 Vodafone will be rolling out 4G (LTE) and HSDPA 850 will be obselete. TelstraClear should reconsider it's decision not to build its own network, or perhaps this could be a bonus for NZ Communications?
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-11-08 02:19
Bad luck to Telstra Clear. I honestly hope they don't build their own network, cause they'll copy Telecom's network, and Telecom's network was a bad idea.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-08 02:24
NZ communications website
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-22 10:43
Telecom has complained to the Commerce Commission about Vodafone's mobile advertising.
3:03PM Friday Nov 21, 2008
By Matt Greenop

Telecom is waging war on Vodafone over claims the company has made about its W-CDMA mobile internet pace.

The Commerce Commission has confirmed that Telecom has sent it a written complaint over content in an advertisement which says "We have New Zealand's largest and fastest mobile network".

"I can confirm that we have received a complaint from Telecom about the Vodafone ads representations regarding their WCDMA network," said Allanah Kalafatelis, communications manager with the Commission. "This complaint is under the Fair Trading Act."

She said the Commission will assess the complaint for any potential brief before deciding whether or not an investigation is warranted.
more

The picture in the article is of a G705 which coincidentally can connect to both Telecom and Vodafone W-CDMA networks

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-11-22 09:44 ]
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-22 10:54

On 2008-11-22 10:43:11, carkitter wrote:
The picture in the article is of a G705 which coincidentally can connect to both Telecom and Vodafone W-CDMA networks

Very observant of you
How exactly would it go about connecting to both networks?? cause telecom don't give you a sim card
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-23 08:57
Telecom don't give you a SIM card if you're on CDMA but they do for 'world phones' and will for the W-CDMA network... eventually.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-02 00:36
Dial 022 for new mobile
4:00AM Monday Feb 02, 2009
By John Drinnan - NZ Herald

NZ Communications has secured the 022 prefix for its mobile customers - but still has not announced a launch date.

The company that is challenging the Vodafone-Telecom duopoly for mobile phones has secured access to the 022 prefix for its customers.

But despite having hired hundreds of staff to establish its new network, it has still not announced its brand name and launch date.

New Zealand Communications regulatory manager Bill McCabe said that rights to the 022 prefix made it easier to draw customers from Telecom and Vodafone. On Friday McCabe insisted it was on track to build its network and take on the incumbents.

But he would not hint at a launch date or brand name for the new 3G phone service, which will aim at lowering New Zealand's notoriously high mobile phone rates.
more...
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-02 05:05
Guess what? this time the picture is of a G900
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-02-02 07:05
G700.
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-02 08:01
opps I get confused between them lol
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic