Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > How many of you Want Windows Mobile OS In Sony Ericsson Mobile Phones?

Previous  1234  Next
Author How many of you Want Windows Mobile OS In Sony Ericsson Mobile Phones?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 02:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-09-09 13:29:55, jarekt wrote:
That's the point. WM is superior than UIQ not becouse OS itself but becouse there are tons of applications. I can choose between 15 kinds of navigation software with my WM6 devices for example. Do I need to say more?
In the past there were faboulous devices with Palm OS made by Sony. If it's possible to pack WM into them...

this is why I'm interested in JAVA, it has potential to become almost as useful as full OS integrated application support, including multi-tasking. With the growth in JAVA there is a growing pool of apps that will eclipse both UIQ and s60 in terms of volume of available software (especially in the freeware area). Because it's a cross platform application api, JAVA has the potential to displace even WM in terms of availability of apps. JAVA means developers don't have to code three completely different versions of their app just to target all mobile users in the market.

Also there is a ton more support for j2me developers, and no proprietary lock in requirements. It's a much more open platform than UIQ, s60 or even WM. Java developers can relatively easily (with a little re-orientation) port their JAVA apps to J2ME, but it's not so easy to port anything to UIQ or s60.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 05:41

That's the point. WM is superior than UIQ not becouse OS itself but becouse there are tons of applications. I can choose between 15 kinds of navigation software with my WM6 devices for example. Do I need to say more?
In the past there were faboulous devices with Palm OS made by Sony. If it's possible to pack WM into them...

Ah somebody remembers how WELL Sony "single-handedly" made Palm OS Garnet what it is today. Sony introduced expandable memory (Memory Stick - original), a GUI based Grafitti pen input area - instead of using a hardware based input area (increased screen real-estate), introduced VGA & QVGA screen resolutions (back then most Palm hardware even Acer Palm OS hardware was just 160x160 resolutions), and finally added Camera's, GPS, and video playback along with music playback, and also light sensor. When Palm decided to steal advancements that SONY introduced by changing the Licensing agreement that ALL OS API's and improvements be submitted to Palm Inc, even retrofitting to EXISTING licensee's and agreements else pay hefty fines or even an embargo .... Sony finished up their remaining contract (2yrs) and barely released more than 3 products and left Palm OS. This occured just before announcement of Palm OS 6 - Cobalt. Smart move on Sony's part.

Palm OS should have died LONG ago .... and I think SE can bring HUGE functional and design improvements. HTC is releasing too much of the same design lately Touch > Wing, and TYTN > TYTN II. Without HTC WM would be going NOWHERE; sure HP's latest annoucements are interesting but minimum license agreement revenue.

On 2007-09-10 02:43:55, max_wedge wrote:

this is why I'm interested in JAVA, it has potential to become almost as useful as full OS integrated application support, including multi-tasking. With the growth in JAVA there is a growing pool of apps that will eclipse both UIQ and s60 in terms of volume of available software (especially in the freeware area). Because it's a cross platform application api, JAVA has the potential to displace even WM in terms of availability of apps. JAVA means developers don't have to code three completely different versions of their app just to target all mobile users in the market.

Also there is a ton more support for j2me developers, and no proprietary lock in requirements. It's a much more open platform than UIQ, s60 or even WM. Java developers can relatively easily (with a little re-orientation) port their JAVA apps to J2ME, but it's not so easy to port anything to UIQ or s60.

LMAO .... sorry Max no insult here. I'm just surprised that you haven't heard.

RIM (Research In Motion) for several YEARS now has been making a smartphone - Multitasking FULL - based SOLELY on J2ME Java. You may have heard of the BLACKBERRY lineup. Btw, their a Canadian company - to which I'm proud of.

Following models are ALL Java OS based and have specific API's and core OS underpinings UNIQUE to Blackberry & RIM:

7270 (WiFi SIP based)
8700 (e= CDMA version, c/g/r for GSM/EDGE for Cingular/Tmobile/Rogers respectively)
8100 Pearl (EDGE)
8800 (has GPS chip, 8830 World is CDMA, 8820 has WiFi & GPS)
8300 Curve = EDGE (8310 has GPS, 8320 TMobile USA gets WiFi with UMA support with VoIP and seemless handoff ... to be announced Sept 24th)

Many are SOON awaiting a 3G based device for the rest of the world (the model 8707 for Vodafone is UMTS 2100 using a Qualcomm chip). The OS is advancing VERY fast and is VERY VERY SECURE!

Only 4 known hacks are known to date (15 yrs, 10 of which are on Java OS - previous was C++ code) - and ALL MUST have interraction by the use to ALLOW it to do what the hacks where DESIGNED to do - OS invokes ALL applications that need access to Radio, User Data, Core OS db's, etc to be ALLOWED by the user via a prompt! or permissions allowed directly by the user. These are now breaking into consumer realm.

Cisco
Avaya
DAS
Yahoo (GO!)
Opera (Mini)
etc etc and many serious corporate apps ALL in Java have been made and work on the BlackBerry platform. MUCH more than most ppl know.
I'm a high level administrator on a corporate BES - I manage at a HD level and I'm our entire HD (HelpDesk) Focal and have been for almost 2 years. Created many documentation for Troubleshooting and see new findings every week. But I don't have FULL access to the BES, true admins are in the US and are worried that others on my team can bring the 4 BES servers down. Yes these devices CAN be managed remotely over the air.

So when you hear of BBConnect ... you'll NOW know its RIM and BlackBerry platform and where its coming from.

So how does all relate to THIS thread.

By end of this year, RIM will have a NEW BBConnect software that when installed and invoked for WM Professional/ Standard the OS will run a full application emulation so the LOOK and FEEL of the app and other applications for that platform is the same as a BB device. There are STILL some limitations to obviously protect their OWN hardware business.

IF RIM can do this .... I believe SE can greatly enhance Windows Mobile more than just a simple GUI enhancement that HTC Touch brings. Touch is nice ... but it doesn't go far enough to truly revolutionize WM. For one, I believe, that just even the icons in WM need some serious! makeover ... the look so 1990's its sad.

PS @Max if you still interested in what Java OS can do take a look at the Official BlackBerry thread here on Esato ... I posted screenshots a while back from my previous BB Pearl 8100 unit.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 06:00
Good points prom1, but blackberry advanced phone java apis do not conform to the general standard (am I wrong?). For example the blackberry api's are not implemented on SE for example and are limited by licencing as well as being hardware specific.

But I don't know that much about blackberry java, except that the cross platform j2me api's still need some development before they are as advanced as blackberry. Blackberry have an advantage and infact their non-standard j2me implementations are proprietary and do not encourage broad-based application support via j2me to all handsets. In this respect it's not much better than UIQ or s60 in term of cross platform portability.

Still, it does show what's possible. Unlike mib and others, I don't believe that it's "impossible" for java to access advanced phone functions (for example a j2me "phone" app), it's just that the generic industry wide j2me does not support those implementations YET. But it's possible and I look forward to the day when the STANDARD J2ME is has this level of integration with hardware.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-10 07:54

On 2007-09-10 06:00:43, max_wedge wrote:
Good points prom1, but blackberry advanced phone java apis do not conform to the general standard (am I wrong?). For example the blackberry api's are not implemented on SE for example and are limited by licencing as well as being hardware specific.

But I don't know that much about blackberry java, except that the cross platform j2me api's still need some development before they are as advanced as blackberry. Blackberry have an advantage and infact their non-standard j2me implementations are proprietary and do not encourage broad-based application support via j2me to all handsets. In this respect it's not much better than UIQ or s60 in term of cross platform portability.

Still, it does show what's possible. Unlike mib and others, I don't believe that it's "impossible" for java to access advanced phone functions (for example a j2me "phone" app), it's just that the generic industry wide j2me does not support those implementations YET. But it's possible and I look forward to the day when the STANDARD J2ME is has this level of integration with hardware.

You are indeed correct! On all points. I do think though that Sun Microsystems is taking not on what Blackberry API's are doing. So if a new industry upstart takes GREAT coders & developers we could see something not too far off.

PS although I hate to admit it, the TMobile Sidekick / HipTop that has a larger following in the US (Paris Hilton zombies) also uses Java ... but it too I think is proprietary and even MORE limiting.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
jesal
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 08:58
i would like that but dunno how stable the win6 is really
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 23:03
Actually I almost agree with Prom1. The one thing is I think SE should ditch UIQ and go for s60 and help develop the touch based os. Then also add its own customization. I don't really think the current break up of Symbian is healthy as UIQ is pretty small compared to s60.
I don't want a signature anymore.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-11 01:15
As it is, SE have more control of UIQ. They would be at Nokia's whim if they used s60. For a company that wants to compete against Nokia in it's own right, I don't think going to s60 would be healthy at all.

The best thing they can do with UIQ3, is open it up and make it more widely available through better licencing and also better developer support. This they are in the process of doing.
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-11 01:32
P990 + WM6 would IMO be a killer phone.
bombadil
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 21:12
me me me!!
I didn't let studies interfere with my education
=======================================
Motorola (Forgot Model) -> Mitsubishi Trium Eclipse -> Samsung SGH E700 -> 800i -> 950i
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 06:45
WM6 on the P990i would be interesting as an option. My previous phone was the i-mate JasJam running WM5 and I miss three things:

- Faster Office suite. Pocket Excel was a dream compared to QuickOffice, at least in terms of speed.

- Copy/cut and paste; how you reach it through tap-and-hold (like the menu you have in P990's Opera browser).

- The JasJam has the same amount of RAM as the P990i but I never even once had any issues with low memory; Windows Mobile handles memory more efficiently. This allowed for proper multi-tasking without worrying about apps being killed in the background.

What I don't miss from WM5 on the JasJam:

- PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer) (!!!!) Opera is a dream compared to PIE.

- Pocket Outlook's inability to present HTML content in e-mail in a good manner (although this has improved in WM6).

- Microsoft's Bluetooth stack. A2DP only works with a few headsets.

[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2007-09-12 05:50 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 00:55
http://www.di.se/Nyheter/?pag[....]on%3DStartsidan%3BHuvudnyheter

Translation

SE denies Windows mobiles

SE denies that a model based on Microsoft's OS is planed in cooperation with the Taiwanese mobile manufacturer HTC. But discussions have been held with the competitor.

Rumors have been flourishing about SE giving HTC commission to build a hand held mobile based on Windows Mobile. According to the news paper Comercial Times the model will be released around the second half of 2008.

The investment bank Dresdner Kleinwort reported the information in a custom letter on the Wednesday. The information is sensational in that both Ericsson and SE are big owners of Symbian, which develops the OS
used by the majority of all mobile phones.

Mattias Holm, head of press relations at SE says that discussions have been held with HTC, but building a Windows based mobile with the competitor HTC is not a work in progress.

So, do you have any plans on any Windows based mobiles ?
"We continuously look at potentional partners and different technologies. But in addition to that I want to say that we are faithful to Symbian and UIQ", he says.

UIQ is a subsidiary to SE, which develops user interfaces.

What have you talked about with HTC ?
"That I can not tell. We are looking at different parts of our markets, that we have to do continuously", says Mattias Holm.

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2007-09-19 23:58 ]
cristiano
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 01:40
most of who buy's is becouse of the easy and fast UI
and WM is more complicated than UIQ which are a bit hard to use
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 02:52
CNN also mentions the story:

Taiwan's High Tech Computer wins Sony Ericsson order for 1 mln handsets - report
September 18, 2007: 07:54 PM EST

Sep. 18, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

TAIPEI (XFN-ASIA) - High Tech Computer Corp (2498.TW) has secured a contract from Sony (NYSE:SNE) Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERICY) Mobile Communications AB to design and assemble the latter's first smartphone running Microsoft Corp's (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows Mobile platform, the Commercial Times reported, without citing sources.

The order is estimated to exceed 1 mln units, and the smartphone is due to hit the market in the second half of 2008, it said.

The Taiwan company currently ships some 10 mln smartphones per year, and the Sony Ericsson contract is expected to expand shipments by 10-20 pct, it added.

philip.wang@afxasia.com
-
xfnpw/xfntm
Copyright Thomson Financial News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

If this is true then it will be just one more WM device made by HTC - this time with an SE sticker.

[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2007-09-20 01:55 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 14:12
http://www.mobil.se/ArticlePa[....]/20070920123930_MOB450.dbp.asp

Translation

SE comments the Microsoft mobile
2007-09-20 12:41

SE now comments the rumors about the plans to release a Microsoft mobile. They confirm that a dialog about possible future business relations have been discussed, but "can not say anything about the details".

It was yesterday that Bloomberg and Dresdner Keinwort among others reported that the taiwanese finance news paper Commercial Times has uncovered the news about HTC going to manufacture a Microsoft mobile for SE.

- I can confirm that we discuss with HTC. Details around this I can not say anything about, comments Mattias Holm at SE.

But can you comment if you will release any Microsoft mobile next year ?
- I can say that we are still comitted to SYmbian and UIQ.

But there are others that makes both Symbian and Microsoft mobiles such as Motorola, Samsung and LG ?
- Sure, thats how it is. Vi have to continuously look for business opportunities. But we can not comment anything of that before we have anything finished.

But the information from Taiwan about HTC manufacturing one million mobiles on behalf of you, what is behind that ?
- I can not comment how our dialog with HTC looks like, but I can confirm we have a dialog with them as we have with other third party manufacturers.
However, the information now reveald is not correct.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 14:28
^^^Ooooo, very cagey. There is definitely something behind that story.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-09-20 13:28 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi