Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > GPS on P1i

Author GPS on P1i
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 10:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Damn, had to send my P1i back for repair because of an issue with the speaker so now I borrowed a QTek S110. Although I like the P1i more (especially coz of keyboard and flexibility of control) I must say naviagion on the qtek is so much nicer because of the faster cpu!

It has a 400mhz-ish cpu as opposed to the 200mhz-ish from the P1i and the difference in usage is huge. So smooth on the qtek while with the P1i I always feel it's a bit clunky.

Hope cpu speed is improved in future models since it would make the experience so much better. (Especially noticable when you tried a phone with a faster cpu, even though windows mobile might be slower than symbian).
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 12:50
On Tom Tom, the larger the map, the slower the refresh.

It's preferable to have 2 or more separate maps installed, than having a large map all the time on.
In my case, even the refresh speed between the "Iberia" and "Iberia Plus" is noticeable.

Aside from Tom Tom refresh rate, I think the speed of this phone is fine for daily use.

PS: By the way, for those who don't know the Europe map is much less detailed than country maps.
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 12:56
Yeah, I know that... but using the Benelux map (by far not the largest) is already choppy. And I'm not just talking about the maps, also going through settings, changing pages in tomtom itself is choppy.

Sure, the speed is good enough for daily use. Just saying a faster cpu would make it even better (and using it more enjoyable).
G00gler
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 14:15
I have to say that I find that TT5 was smoother on my P910i than TT6 is on P1i. I might have some more info visible now which slows it down (can't remember what I used to have on my p910i), but otherwise it is probably TT6 requiring more CPU than TT5.
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 14:19

On 2007-10-25 14:15:45, G00gler wrote:
I have to say that I find that TT5 was smoother on my P910i than TT6 is on P1i. I might have some more info visible now which slows it down (can't remember what I used to have on my p910i), but otherwise it is probably TT6 requiring more CPU than TT5.

Yeah, noticed that difference too... and TT6 is prolly a bit heavier than TT5. But the S110 also used TT6. Ah well, it's no biggie... but was just a bit suprised the performance difference was so obvious (regarding the fact that the S110 is quite an old model).
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 14:32
Yes, TT6 is slower, but maybe it's also because the maps have increased in complexity since version 5.
G00gler
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 15:03
Has anyone noticed if there is any performance difference between having the map and program on the memory stick compared to having them in internal memory?
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-25 16:27

On 2007-10-25 15:03:05, G00gler wrote:
Has anyone noticed if there is any performance difference between having the map and program on the memory stick compared to having them in internal memory?

Program on stick or phone memory doesn't seem to matter... Map, haven't tried that, mainly coz they take up too large a size of my phone memory (if they even fit) as far as I'm concerned. Guess I could put the Benelux map on it, 50-60 mb-ish but don't think it'll matter noticably.
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-26 01:58
Couple things...

I hate TT6 on the P1i, not w.r.t to performance issues, just the way the software is built. Very annoying. I used a Mio D310x and then Mio 710 before this, and I love the way it can be configured. I just shelled out $100 on getting Tom tom and a day or two later, Garmin releases Mobile XT. you all know that you can't sell used software, and tomtom locks it to one device for at least six months.

One annoying issue, say a friend asks you for an address to someone you listed on your tomtom, no way in hell you can find that address quick. You have to go thru the various menus, and so far I still haven't been able to get the address to a favourite or POI that I manually entered.) Couple of clicks in mio will show you all details listed. Won't happen in tomtom.

Secondly, rerouting or calculating a different route is also a problem, (for eg., choosing no freeways.) You can easily accomplish that whilst driving on a Mio, but in tomtom you have to go thru pages to get to the function. Annoying!!

Day colors and night colours don't automatically change on TT6. They do on Mio.

...... and a few others.

TT6 however does run smooth on my P1i. I have it completely installed on my 4gig memory card. don't know if that's a reason or not.

I hope Mio releases a software version for UIQ at some point. They do have phones with built in GPS but they lack other essential features. One of the great things is that they have over 6 million POI's listed, with phone numbers!!! TT6 not even close. I will also look out for Garmin's features, most people have nice things to say about them.

Well that's my rant. Sorry TT6 afficionados. I'm just the kind that experiments with different stuff available and look at their good and bad sides. Not necessarily a good thing. Cos you always end up dissatisfied when you're left with no options. (nothing else would run natively on a cellphone except TT6 at the time.)

Oh by the way, try the Royaltek line of bluetooth GPS receivers. It came with my p1. They're good, and get fixes in less than a minute when under open sky. They have 2 battery types available and one lasts twice as long as the other. But the basic one lasts a good 8 hours.

BenjiJK§
mkuzmani2
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 15:17
where can i download tomtom
YoungRobbo
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 17:57

On 2007-11-05 15:17:35, mkuzmani2 wrote:
where can i download tomtom

Search for TomTom and go to their website. You can buy it directly from there.
jmbillings
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-11 15:28
Just playing with TomTom today, and I reckon it's POI's that have a big impact on speed- I had loads turned on that I downloaded and the refresh rate was dire, like 4 seconds or so. Turned a load off and it was much perkier, down to a second or so. Haven't tried with even more off, but can anyone else confirm this sort of thing?
Download free SE mobile themes from my site!
Free Sony Ericsson Themes!
pizza1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 13:38
please help.

when i try to instal tomtom navigator6 on my P1i i get a message that the software is not supported and the instalation is canceled. does someone know what to do?

YoungRobbo
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 14:17

On 2007-11-11 15:28:40, jmbillings wrote:
Just playing with TomTom today, and I reckon it's POI's that have a big impact on speed- I had loads turned on that I downloaded and the refresh rate was dire, like 4 seconds or so. Turned a load off and it was much perkier, down to a second or so. Haven't tried with even more off, but can anyone else confirm this sort of thing?

Seems to be the case. My past experience with TT6 on the N80 showed that POI's cause a nightmare with slow down. Same with the N95. It has been suggested in previous threads about this that it could also be down to badly made POI files.

Turn as many off as you can and you'll find it running more than smooth enough to be usable.
meggs
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-15 14:39
I use Wayfinder on my P990i and it works great! You can download the maps to your pc and transfer them to the phone by bluetooth, so it doesn`t use the phone`s network connection for downloading maps.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi