Author p1i wifi issues
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 15:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-08-21 12:36:20, Magyver1 wrote:
Hi
I know I am being a numpty but where is the power saving setting for wifi on my lovely P1i? I only ask as I can coneect to a 'hotspot' at work which is an unsecured connection but can't connect at home with my own secure connection and I am hoping this will sort it.

Cheers.

Go to the internet accounts application. Find the account for your wifi connection(usually saved with the SSID name)
Click on edit then go to More>Advanced

On 2007-08-21 12:39:57, Swiftfox wrote:
i dont have any connection probs, at home my router is mac-filtered and wep keyed the connection is just fine from the start.
public hot spots are also no prob. i turn wifi off when i dont need it and manually turn it on when i do.

lucky . What router do you have though?

[ This Message was edited by: DagMX on 2007-08-21 14:20 ]
Magyver1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 15:33
Thank you DagMX I will give it a whirl when I get home tonight.

Just keep forgetting the MORE tab where all the extras usually hide

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-22 21:28
On 2007-08-21 12:07:42, sunking101 wrote:
I can't get online to a WEP-secure router without turning the power saving off. How much power does that feature save anyway? Does anyone know? Am I missing big battery life because of this?

Well... in general terms, it's not as much that it saves alot of battery, more than that the wifi uses so much power any saving at all is a big plus..

But the way it works - or so I've been told - is that the phone logs on to an access point, and requests power- saving mode. This then allows the phone to regularly poll the AP at a set interval that is longer than usual, when it does not transfer data. So the phone would request some info, fall back on power saving mode, the AP would buffer a frame, and then the phone would check whether the frame is complete every, say, 1000ms. And then start to receive the frame at the usual 100ms intervals. In other words, whenever the phone is not transferring frames, it could reduce the activity on the modem, without really producing any noticeable lag.

How much power it actually saves depends network quality and so on, though. But on normally efficient throughput, it should be possible to reduce the activity on the modem to 10% for possibly as much as fifty percent of the time the modem normally operates at full power.

And.. then the learned people may argue whether that really saves power, or whether it simply guarantees the same amount of data per used battery time in worse to bad network conditions (which is always), etc.

...But in any case, it definitively saves /some/ battery in practical terms, without any drawbacks (except it doesn't work on lousy APs like mine).
Magyver1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-22 21:32
Agggh I hate my P1i when it misbehaves.

I can connect to wifi when I am out in the public spaces of a local cafe hotspot but at home on my own d##n router NO WAY JOSE! Is this a test of some kind by SE to see what it takes to push a rational sane person over tyhe edge into murderous madness? If so it's working.

I have tried the power save trick. No joy.

I can see my phone when I check my router but it says INACTIVE.

I can set my phones IP settings all to no avail.

My router sees the phone so why oh why can't I connect.

Please someone offer me some constructive help before you see me on the 6 o clock news at the SE headquarters with a 'molotov' in each hand.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-22 23:16

On 2007-08-22 21:32:04, Magyver1 wrote:
Agggh I hate my P1i when it misbehaves.

I can connect to wifi when I am out in the public spaces of a local cafe hotspot but at home on my own d##n router NO WAY JOSE! Is this a test of some kind by SE to see what it takes to push a rational sane person over tyhe edge into murderous madness? If so it's working.

I have tried the power save trick. No joy.

I can see my phone when I check my router but it says INACTIVE.

I can set my phones IP settings all to no avail.

My router sees the phone so why oh why can't I connect.

Please someone offer me some constructive help before you see me on the 6 o clock news at the SE headquarters with a 'molotov' in each hand.

I had this bother. I did a master reset, enabled wlan, scanned for networks, clicked to connect, typed in my wep key. OK'd it all. Saved. Went to advanced settings, turned power saving off. Then went back to web and hey presto, job's a good un. Don't ask me why the master reset helped, but it did. I couldn't get on before I did that and I don't recall doing ANYTHING differently. If it still doesn't work then the problem lies with your router and you will need to go into the software and have a fiddle.

DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-22 23:44
Hey guys will wifi be faster with battery save off?
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-22 23:55
Will someone please tell me where to find Power Saving Mode on Wifi??
myth_old
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 00:07

On 2007-08-22 23:55:26, gseh88 wrote:
Will someone please tell me where to find Power Saving Mode on Wifi??

Internet accounts > tap wifi account > tap arrow next to wlan setup > advanced [addsig]
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 01:09
Thanks alot. Why don't they make these things more obvious?? I do find the wifi reception on my P1 much less "powerful" than on my P990 and hope this does the trick.
myth_old
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 01:17
I'm afraid it won't.

But disabling it seems to solve a common connection problem on the p1. [addsig]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 16:47

On 2007-08-23 01:17:00, myth® wrote:
I'm afraid it won't.

But disabling it seems to solve a common connection problem on the p1.

ya i tried it last night and speed is more or less the same... i wish we could install that nokia safari browser lol

no issues with powersave on or off with wep or wpa
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
SJPMDX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 22:01
Well i have been having problems getting mine to work on WEP but i tried WPA and its working like a charm.

I called the SE Vip number thingy and the guy i spoke to said that WEP is a known problem on my type of router (Netgear), but WPA works perfect

Damn i love this phone

[ This Message was edited by: SJPMDX on 2007-08-24 21:06 ]
ivanuch
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-01 01:16
hi, guys

can you help me with my p1i issue =0 it connect's to my wi-fi router (trendnet 611brp), get's IP, but if i type router homepage like http://192.168.0.1 i see it in browser, but if i try any internet address like google.com it failes to connect

powersafe is off...
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-01 09:28
Seems there are three things to try that occasionally fix things with many access points.

Switch between wep and wpa on the AP.
Turn off power- saving.
Manually set the dns- server address(es) on the phone.

And it's possible you can fix some issues by either upgrading Microsoft's wireless zero client, or using a different driver altogether - on other devices on the net.
ivanuch
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-01 11:21
not helped
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi