Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > p1i wifi issues

Previous  1234  Next
Author p1i wifi issues
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-17 18:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It seems I'm having the same thing as you here. If I turn off power- saving on the phone, I can connect without much problem. That doesn't really change much even if I have several other units on the access- point. Or if I change the encryption, change from mixed to b only, short preamble to long, etc. (Except wpa2, that still doesn't work for some reason).

But when I enabled the power- saving feature on the phone, I can connect to the AP, but not receive any data. I've tested a laptop with power- saving, and that works on this AP, though. So best guess - there's something about the implementation of the power- saving feature on the p1 that isn't up to speed. (Maybe, it doesn't mark the unit as active properly, before requesting information? I thought the power- saving was supposed to allow units to switch their status on the network in that way..)

ahem.. - and the phone logs off the access- point according to the timeout for "dial-up" (or something similar) setting under "internet- accounts". Not "power- saving mode"...

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2007-08-17 17:40 ]
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-17 18:53
yeah, it could possibly be the power saving on a software level. I remember sony had a similiar problem on the PSP where the PSP would connect but would behave the same way. A firmware upgrade pretty much rectified that for me.
I'm hoping a future firmware upgrade will fix wifi issues on the p1i if I can't get my router and p1 working properly.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-17 19:24
Mm. Anyone know where you can file requests for.. ah.. "Request for improved implementation of crucial feature I damn well expected would work. But which seems to have been accidentally not listed as a function in the whitepaper, even though it is included in the 802.11b standard (which it is mentioned that the p1 is compliant with in the whitepaper , hence the confusion).", with SE?

Dogmann? Anyone?
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-19 13:06
went to a hotel today and the wifi worked wonderfully...
dankeeys
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-19 18:43
Hi guys,

I am gonna start pulling my hair out soon if I dont at least just get told I can not do this. I am hoping I can however as the crappy n95 I just swapped for my new SE P1i could. What I am trying to do it set up my P1i so that I can browse the phones files etc from my desktop and vice-versa from phone to desktop via wifi, in prety much the same way as I can now using my PDA. Is there any way that this device can be added as a network shared device? Also is there any chance there is a way to stream music from a network PC to the phone. I cant believe that something this usefull would be missed off when all wireless PDA's are capable of this easily.

Thanks for all your time.

Dan
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-19 18:59

On 2007-08-19 18:43:04, dankeeys wrote:
Hi guys,

I am gonna start pulling my hair out soon if I dont at least just get told I can not do this. I am hoping I can however as the crappy n95 I just swapped for my new SE P1i could. What I am trying to do it set up my P1i so that I can browse the phones files etc from my desktop and vice-versa from phone to desktop via wifi, in prety much the same way as I can now using my PDA. Is there any way that this device can be added as a network shared device? Also is there any chance there is a way to stream music from a network PC to the phone. I cant believe that something this usefull would be missed off when all wireless PDA's are capable of this easily.

Thanks for all your time.

Dan

I just can't see why anyone would want to do all that with their mobile phone. Why not just browse your pc files whilst at your pc and your phone files via your phone? Also, don't you have a hifi at home or at least an mp3 player?
dankeeys
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-19 19:32
sunking101, my current requirement is to have a mobile phone that can do everything that I currently use my PDA for. I do however want to stray away from the windows mobile side of things, as I cannot deal with constantly loosing info when the battery dies (i am great and forgeting to charge my phone). With regard to my home stereo, no I dont have a hifi. Currently I have a server running in the cupboard under the stairs, this is constantly turned on, and hosts all my music and films. My PDA has two docking stations, one in the kitchen/diner and one in the lounge. This PDA is hooked up to my server via wifi, and plays all my audio through either a pair of bluetooth speakers in the dining room, or our main DVD surround system in the lounge, our DVD player is agian wifi, and plays all the divx films straight from the server onto the TV. I hate clutter and cant stand dvd cases and cd's lying arround the place. What I am trying to do here is end up with my P1i, being able to stream my mp3s from the server, and to be able to send pictures etc that I take on the phone to my PC via Wifi. Just would seem odd to me if the phone was not capable of transfering files via wifi and streaming audio from a PC.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-19 20:02
I couldn't stand such low quality audio in my home. Then again one of my main hobbies is hifi and the thought of mp3s beaming around to bluetooth speakers horrifies me!
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-19 21:48
..It sounds technically interesting, I guess.

I'm sure it's fairly easy to link the p1 with another computer in ad-hoc mode. I haven't tested it myself, but know it's possible. And it seems strange if the wizard doesn't allow you to search for the node, and so on, like usual... How would that be solved, anyway, when you're connected in ad- hoc mode? A web- server? ..Anyone know if it's possible to link the phone in file- transfer mode, or something like that (just locking the phone accessing the mem- card, etc.)?

@DagMX: with power- saving turned on?
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-20 06:31
yeah, it worked with power saving on. I'm guessing its therefore just router dependant as the phones a bit picky.

At@donkeeys
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I have RDM+ installed on my phone and I can access my computer desktop as long as I have an internet connection active on the phone.

As for music, I used to use this on a PSP: MyTunesRSS

Thats should take care of most of what you asked for.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-20 23:35
Seems SymSMB will be available for uiq3 soon, as well.
http://www.telexy.com/Support/Publications.aspx?PublicationId=74

Hm. So current hypothesis would be that there are different power- saving sub- standards under 802.11b, and the p1 doesn't support the one my access point does... *shrug*?
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 09:22

On 2007-08-20 23:35:59, Nipsen wrote:
Seems SymSMB will be available for uiq3 soon, as well.
http://www.telexy.com/Support/Publications.aspx?PublicationId=74

Hm. So current hypothesis would be that there are different power- saving sub- standards under 802.11b, and the p1 doesn't support the one my access point does... *shrug*?

I assume so. that would make the most sense. either that or some access points just don't handle power saving well.

Thanks for the help guys.

I got a reply from Sony Help and they say to make sure that there are no conflicting connections, but I can't seem to find any that would conflict.

SymSMB sounds interesting though.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 12:07
I can't get online to a WEP-secure router without turning the power saving off. How much power does that feature save anyway? Does anyone know? Am I missing big battery life because of this?
Magyver1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 12:36
Hi
I know I am being a numpty but where is the power saving setting for wifi on my lovely P1i? I only ask as I can coneect to a 'hotspot' at work which is an unsecured connection but can't connect at home with my own secure connection and I am hoping this will sort it.

Cheers.
Swiftfox
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-21 12:39
i dont have any connection probs, at home my router is mac-filtered and wep keyed the connection is just fine from the start.
public hot spots are also no prob. i turn wifi off when i dont need it and manually turn it on when i do.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi