Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > N93 apparently on 3G when the 3G radio is disabled?

Author N93 apparently on 3G when the 3G radio is disabled?
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 13:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm having a problem with my Vodafone N93 (phone itself is unbranded, unlocked) - since yesterday it can't take any calls, when dialled from another mobile I get a number not in use error and 'invalid' when I phone from a landline.

I phoned Vodafone yesterday who said there had been a fault but it should now be fixed, shut down the handset and try again later. It's no different today so I phoned again, this time she checked with an engineer and said to disable 3G and try again as my phone was showing as being on a 3G mast which is currently not working properly. I said the 3G radio was disabled (set to gsm) but she was definite on the phone being logged to the 3G mast. Thought it was worth a go but no change.

So are Vodafone feeding me nonsense or is there some truth in this? My company is entirely Vodafone and I haven't had a single issue logged, they are all basic Nokia 6030 handsets with no 3G. The reason I'm asking this is that I don't want the N93 to be on 3G when I don't want it to be as I find it wastes more power, what do youthink?

John
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 13:48
Hi John,

To me i does sound like a VodaFone problem but go to Settings, Phone, Network and then from memory as i no longer have my N93 you should have 3 options. Being UMTS, Dual, GSM, then obviously choose GSM. I really don't see how if this is chosen the N93 can be using 3G but by the signal meter if there is no 3G symbol you ae not connected via 3G. Depending on what the results show you can speak to VodaFone again to see what is happening, hope that helps.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-08 13:46 ]
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 14:23
It's already set to GSM, I only use 3G when I need it as reception can be poor up here leading to poor batterylife.

It doesn't show 3G on the display either but I'm wondering if there's a possible bug with the phone that it has managed to lock onto a 3G signal when it shouldn't have.

John
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 14:46
Hi John,

I seriously doubt that but i suppose anything is possible but my money would be on VodaFone as for some reason they seem to have this type of problem quite often with their Network and Cell towers. I have even been told it's just because the Cell site is very busy and there is nothing wrong with it. I rarely get the same answer from two customer service reps on the same day and sometimes they just don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-08 14:36 ]
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 15:12
It's definitely not 3G, I've popped the sim card in a basic 2G phone and it doesn't receive calls either.

I've had an extended conversation with a call rep and the system I'm going through (VF-TAME) is down but they only think it's affecting 3G calls hence the advice earlier. Just have to wait for it to be fixed now...

John
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi