Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone

Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 484950  Next
Author Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone
Satsuma
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-27 20:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-06-26 23:53:51, makbil wrote:
Some more facts why you shouldn't consider the P1:
SE has pretty much made it clear that they will not provide any further support for the P990 - the same will apply to the P1.
The P1 is using the same OS as the P990 and with the rumors that Microsoft will be buying off Symbian, it's obvious that SE does not see any future with Symbian.
I wish the best of luck to those still thinking about getting the P1, I honestly hope that it doesn't end up like the P990.

Many user won't keep the P1i more than a year and SE will support it to a point where most major bugs are addressed - I think that will be adequate given initial reports on the P1i's stability at the moment.
Where are you getting this Microsoft buying off Symbian stuff? What rumours?
If SEMC didn't see any future in Symbian they wouldn't be planning more Symbian devices but I can tell you hat they are.
Also why buy UIQ if you see no future in Symbian?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-27 20:10
@Satsuma

Isn't that exactly what was said about the P990 pre launch just a few minor bugs that should be fixed quite soon and we are all only to aware of how that played out. Don't get me wrong it's your money to spend how you want but i would rather choose a company that values it's users and gives them continued support and doesn't release not fit for purpose product's in the first place, but hey that's just crazy old me.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-06-27 19:10 ]
Satsuma
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-28 00:55
it's fair comment but I think that this time there are number of independent previewers out there saying that the p1i is pretty much fit for purpose. people dis the fact that it's old h/w and still UIQ 3.0...but from a stability viewpoint it's a good thing.
The fact that the P1i seems to be about to launch on time is also an indication that there are less major problems with it compared to the P990.

I'm not really a fan of SEMC Symbian handsets - I prefer Nokia S60.
But I think the P1i is a worthy contender in the enterprise space - I am actually considering buying one instead of an E90 for size and practicality issues.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 08:36
@Satsuma

I thought all reviewers were independent as that's the whole point isn't it?
but what you find happens is they make allowances for it still not being final Firmware and of course don't want to displease the manufacturer for fear of no longer being given pre release products again. I am not suggesting that all reviews are not accurate but those factors severely influence the reviews how ever independent the reviewer wants to be.

Go back and look at the P990 reviews and explain which part of reality they actually relate to? some reviewers stated that they expected the few bugs to be resolved quickly and showed good faith and made allowances and gave credit for past SE performance on these issues. But the reality turned out to be very different unfortunately for most users.

As many have said this extra 64mb RAM should make a big difference but IMO it really is no guarantee of anything. Personally i wouldn't touch a P1 due to not just it lacking HSDPA and still running the same old hardware but more due to how SE now appears to treat it's customers as if it has any problems you can't depend on SE to resolve them as it is just a consequence of using Symbian in their opinion so tough buy the next devise instead.

As for those that they say the old processor makes no difference i really can't agree with this i have just been testing some video streams from ZooVision who are testing higher quality video optimised for devices using the OMAP2420 chip after which i watched the original clip and the difference is very noticeable. Possibly the N81/N82 will be the last devices with this chip set up as early next year we will hopefully see the OMAP Series 3 chip being used and the huge improvements that will bring along with the faster HSDPA speeds all of which the P1 will be left behind from and the same goes for the W960. SE has no plans to upgrade their processors till the P990 true replacement late 2008 which is much to late for most especially after recent events IMO.

I am of the opinion that SE really are no longer interested in the real smart phone market and are just concentrating on their Walkman and Cybershot ranges with some smart phone functionality thrown in. Such a shame for a company that used to lead the way and treat it's customers with respect.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-06-28 07:42 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 09:51
I think it's well understood that SE have had a disaster on their hands with the P990, they vastly underestimated the development problems they had to deal with, and also the amount of RAM the hardware needed in the first place.

They are now cutting their losses, as everyone can see - leaving the P990 behind as a hardware design which, due to its RAM limitations, could never be entirely fixed - and rolling all the lessons learnt into the P1. There's no doubt that the P1 itself is an interim fix, a repackaging of the P990's technology with the bugs and hardware mistakes corrected, but that in itself is not a bad thing. Future SE smartphone customers are being offered a stable, well rounded if not cutting edge product, while the R&D is moving on to the next platform, hopefully with more resources and more development/bug fixing time at their disposal.

Personally I'll be happy to invest in a P1. Like any phone it won't be the final answer to anything - it will be upgraded in time - but for now, and for the forseeable future, it will do everything I need it to and more - and in a more satisfactory way (for me) than most of the competition.

HSDPA is not an issue for me, and I find the comments about some possible future format for streaming video that might just need a different processor frankly laughable. It will be many years before any service provider upgrades its video streams to anything more than lowest supported by the vast majority of 3G handsets right now. The P1 is well suited to streaming video, and will continue to be well suited to streaming video well into the future, and the notion that it's about to be rendered obsolete is nothing short of fantasy!
djgrimey
K700
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 12:21
oh i dnt care about all these issues i got a s700i had it since it came out and the p1 has been the only phone to catch my eye since. so its got my vote definately will be getting one.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 14:16
@Boinng

You really need to stop stating your opinions as facts especially when you are actually so off the mark it's funny. All the Networks are right now currently working very hard on rolling out HSDPA as it is the future of Data and the only growth area left in the Mobile market place.

Current speeds are 1.8mbps with 3.6mbps expected before Year end and then will come 7.2mbps if you can't comprehend what this means fair enough but don't make wholly inaccurate statements as fact when the reality is quite different.

All of this may not be important to you but it is to other users and again why would any one start working on higher quality streaming if it didn't have an advantage. All this it's not needed doesn't make a difference is just ridiculous as is stating that the P1 & W960 that won't have the ability to take advantage of these things as not important. But that's what happens when you buy not yet launched product's that aren't even up to current spec's never mind having a small amount of future proofing. The increase in quality of the clip i viewed was more than just a little better it was much better and i always want the best for anything i do why settle for less.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-06-28 13:30 ]
mazi
G900 Brown
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-28 14:39
when we will see P1 in store??

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 14:43

On 2007-06-28 14:16:29, Dogmann wrote:
@Boinng

You really need to stop stating your opinions as facts

Marc, this is how forums work. I state an opinion, you state an opinion, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't know how to "state my opinions as facts", I merely state my opinions, and they become fact only when you agree with them. Of course, the very fact we're debating this as the opening line of your post tells me that you're struggling with the "facts" yourself.

All the Networks are right now currently working very hard on rolling out HSDPA as it is the future of Data and the only growth area left in the Mobile market place.

Yes they are. And? We're talking about a phone for the next couple of years here, not a device for the next millenium. Last year I had a 2.5g phone, so did most people till they retired their P910's. Half the time I still have a 2.5g phone, when I'm out of 3G coverage - meanwhile, when I'm 3G coverage, it's great. Fast enough. I have video streaming, I have email, I have web, all at speeds which would make my last phone blush. I'm sure faster is around the corner, but right now - for the next year or two even - it's fine. In the MASSIVELY unlikely event that reliable HSDPA gets anywhere near where I live in that time, I'll live with it!

Current speeds are 1.8mbps with 3.6mbps expected before Year end and then will come 7.2mbps if you can't comprehend what this means far enough but don't make wholly inaccurate statements as fact when the reality is quite different.

I haven't said a single word to dispute the above, so why the sneering hostility?

All of this may not be important to you but it is to other users

Equally, I could say "all of this may be important to you but it isn't to other users". Either point is perfectly valid and true.

and again why would any one start working on higher quality streaming if it didn't have an advantage.

Because if you're a developer of mobile standards, what else are you going to do? Retire at 30? Of course standards move on, they'll always get better and faster and bigger and wider, in theory if not always in practice. But it's not always as simple as saying "this is faster, therefore everyone must have this". There has to be an application for any technology, and there has to be demand. Just because they've done it, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone wanted it - just take a look at video calling. Remember how that was going to change the world, and drive 3G takeup? Have you ever made a video call? Do you even know anyone that has? I don't.

Give me two, three years, I'll be bored of 3G speeds, and maybe like you I'll think a 208mhz processor in a phone is something shameful. More importantly, by then there might be lots more high quality streaming video and data applications that actually need phones to be faster. The good news is that by then my P1 will be hitting ebay anyway, and my new superfast P2 (or whatever it's called) will be waiting in the shop.
tsh
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 15:23
The most telling thing for me about the whole firmware issue is the way that seemingly trivial new bugs were appearing in every new release. I assume that this is more related to the software testing process than hardware limitations.

It's clear that the developers don't have an easy time working with SE either, which does make me wonder if SE are interested in the smartphone market at all. Their choice of processor for the P1 sort of confirms this to me, it's far from cutting edge, with ARM11 powered phones having been around for some time now.

Sean

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 15:29
The most telling thing for me about the whole firmware issue is the fact that they ended up buying UIQ in its entirety. I don't see how anyone can doubt their longterm committment to the smartphone market after that.
Leks
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 20:02

On 2007-06-28 14:39:10, mazi wrote:

Week 30 in Sweden according to Cokeman.
Pistvakten
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 20:44

On 2007-06-28 20:02:51, Leks wrote:

I can't stand my K800 any longer. I want the P1.
Leks
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-28 21:52

On 2007-06-28 20:44:23, Pistvakten wrote:

On 2007-06-28 20:02:51, Leks wrote:

I can't stand my K800 any longer. I want the P1.

So do I I test every day in the store if it possible to put an order on P1i
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 03:15
I want to add a few comments to the above posts. All of you havevalid points regarding the P1. Certainly, as far as memory is concerned, it will not be burdened with the same problems as the P990. But remember that the currently underlying software & firmware is the same as the P990. So, although you may be able to run a few more programs at the same time, the serious (intermittent as they may be) bugs such as restarts while answering a call still remain. If they are fixed for the P1 the fw could just have been made available for the P990 and a lot of anger may have been avoided. SE is wrong in its assumption that the memory is the only problem with the P990. IMO, with SE's level of programming and QC, I don't believe that the P1 will be too different than the P990. Yes, perhaps no restarts to improve performance but what about the other bugs?
Lisa@CPS has suggested that most of the bugs in the latest fw for P990 are probably due to SE's incompetent tweaking of additional SE software and not due to Symbian or UIQ3.
Naturally anyone has the choice to buy the P1 but wouldn't it leave a bitter taste if SE abandoned that after 6 months too? Just a thought to ponder over. As for me, if I ever decide to get another SE phone, I will definitely wait for Symbian 9.5 and at least 6 months after launch to see how things go.
Yes, unfortunately to date there is no product on the market that matches the P990 as far as hardware features are concerned - eg. touch screen and flip.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 484950  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic