Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > P990 3 Way jog dial broken

Author P990 3 Way jog dial broken
kuwlij
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-03 10:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi,
I've had the P990i since december now, and after 4 months the jog dial no longer works. It stated going about a week ago when i noticed a little bit of play in the scrolling: it would sometimes move up or down a selection onscreen while moving the jogdial without actually clicking. Now theres no clicking and the wheel doesnt always move the selection onscreen and behaves erratic. So i found a topic here where the OP took a few pics of opening the phone, and i had a go at it.

First i removed the battery and unscrewed the following marked screws.

------------
Then removed the front cover above the screen to reveal 2 hidden screws, removing them too..

------------
This is the wheel disassembled.

Note that the parts fit on top of each other in order from 1 to 4 onto the pin where the arrow is. part 4 is the part that creates the clicking sound against the wheel as it has a rectangular hole in middle where the pin fits into it when putting it together, keeping it from rotating and creating the clicking against the wheel. I found out the play i was getting when rotating the wheel was the actual pin rotating a little when changing the wheel's direction when apparently this shouldn't budge. I suspect some notch on the top of this pin has worn down so the parts don't stay together, as soon as i move the wheel part 4 comes off. It seems like a wear and tear issue but after 4 months?! is this something phone shops can fix or should i send to SE? We do not have SE people in Malta (where i live).

As a side note, i didn't notice any warranty seals.. would they know i opened it?
jameshaddow
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-03 22:44
i have the same problem please can someone help
Nickp990
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-04 15:01
wow, i first time see p990 hardweare, what u have done with u phone man , sorry but cant help u
N N N sorry for my english

Love my p990 and Esato forum!
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-09-04 17:05
You could look up on the Internet some German Based companies that sell spare parts for SE phones. They might have those and they should be just a few cents. [addsig]
mikey_514
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-09-28 08:49
has any1 figured out how to fix the jog wheel yet? cuz mine broke too and i find it quite annoying to have to use the touch screen all the time!
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-09-28 08:59
wow! now the jog dial starting to fall apart! i don't wish to see anymore of this from P990 after their disastrous campaign
I capturing sexy women on the beach
I

This message was posted from an iphone
supersa_i_nt
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 16:34
Yeah.Mine just lost it's scrolling clicking feel.The wheel felt loose and i can't push the jobdial to perform the enter/ok function.
It just suddenly became that way without being dropped or knocked.
Please update me as well if someone found a solution.
kuwlij
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 18:53
will do..
i'm not really looking hard but if i find parts or find an alternative will let u guys know
merwyn
X2 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 16:53
The jog dial play in my device which set in after a few months of use was driving me nuts so I took it to the SE store to look for a fix. As my purchase was over a year ago, the warranty had expired and the jog dial unit replacement cost me about USD 25 (half of which was for parts and the other for labour). They took about a day instead of the standard three days; I was told that premium devices repair or service is fast-tracked.

The jog dial now performs well, just like it did when the P990 was out of the box. When comparing the feel of the jog dial movement with that in devices that friends have, other jog dials seem to rotate with varying degrees of lower resistance which proves that gradual wear does indeed happen.

[ This Message was edited by: merwyn on 2007-11-16 15:55 ]
kenjilau
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-27 08:32
OMG..... USD 25 for the jog dial only ?

On 2007-11-16 16:53:26, merwyn wrote:
The jog dial play in my device which set in after a few months of use was driving me nuts so I took it to the SE store to look for a fix. As my purchase was over a year ago, the warranty had expired and the jog dial unit replacement cost me about USD 25 (half of which was for parts and the other for labour). They took about a day instead of the standard three days; I was told that premium devices repair or service is fast-tracked.

The jog dial now performs well, just like it did when the P990 was out of the box. When comparing the feel of the jog dial movement with that in devices that friends have, other jog dials seem to rotate with varying degrees of lower resistance which proves that gradual wear does indeed happen.

Ericsson Long live !
alfonsoe
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-03-16 21:10
Hi! I was looking for a fix too and found your article. Could you tell me where you had your SE P990i fixed. I have the same problem and I still like the phone, so I am decided to just fix this. Please email me your reply at alfonso.encarnacion@yahoo.com or you may call me at 719-339-8881 if in the USA and you have a toll free calling plan. Thank you very much.
Alfonso

On 2007-11-16 16:53:26, merwyn wrote:

[/quote]
randecember
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-10-01 08:33
what did you use to remove the pieces of the jog dial?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi