Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > Roaming in Vietnam?

Author Roaming in Vietnam?
GTwinkie
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 16:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey guys...

My mom is going to Vietnam in January and I'm giving her a T300 to use. I looked on the T-Mobile website and apparently Vietnam is not in their World Class Roaming agreements. So I emailed CS and asked if I had any alternatives.

This is the reply I received:

"Good morning and thank you for contacting T-Mobile Web services. We're sorry, however we do not offer international roaming in Vietnam. You can call Vietnam from the U.S. for a $1.49 per minute. You would not be able to use your phone
over there because of the sim difference. You may also contact our customer service department at 1-888-611-6119 or 611 from your T-Mobile phone. Thank you for choosing T-Mobile."

There are two providers in Vietnam - VinaPhone and MOBIFONE which both use 900Mhz. Can I get my phone unlocked and then buy a PrePaid card over there to use?

Is this the most cost efficient way? Or are those SIM cards on E-Bay better?

Thanks for the help guys!
[addsig]
blksnday
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-19 01:51
If you unlocked your phone and supposed that your phone works with 900 MHz systems. Then you can buy prepaid SIM card in VietNam.
The cost is about 300,000 VND ~ 20 USD. You will get about 90 outgoing local minutes within 30 days(from anywhere to anywhere in VN) and unlimited incoming minutes for 45 days. You can also use it to make calls to US untill you used up all the prepaid money (~10 minutes).
Note: after you used up your outgoing minutes, you can still receive incoming calls.
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-19 02:55
there is gsm networks there - Im sure orange uk have roaming agreements there - u need a dual band phone. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi