Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > international SMSing w\\ AT&T gsm

Author international SMSing w\\ AT&T gsm
cmm3
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-12 18:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
at this time AT&T blocks its GSM users from sending SMSs to international GSM phones. to add insult to serious injury, international GSM phones cannot send SMS to AT&T GSM phones. its as if these messages are being lost in some SMS black whole.

so i was wondering, has anyone figured out a way around this? i was gonna get myself a pay as u go T-mobile line just for SMSing -- t mobile does not support international SMSing, but they do allow u to do this -- which is at least SOMETHING! but then u put my pay as u go T-mobile SIM into my at&t phone and found out taht it was locked.. GR! i have already sent a strongly worded letter of protest as to how poor and insufficient their service is as a GSM provider -- and am working on getting my mobile unlocked as we speak

(AT&T asked me to be patient w\ them a couple months until they get their service off the ground, so i will do this.. but my patience is growing thin)

does any one know of a SMSing service center that AT&T will not block that allows for international SMSing? i tried using the T-mobile service center, but AT&T blocks that one.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
CM
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-12 21:49
cmm3, sorry I can't help with your problem, but it sounds like you'll either have to switch carriers or wait. I have Cingular and not only can I send/receive international SMS, but they cost the same as local ones. I was amazed by this fact when I first realized it because I haven't heard of any carrier in the world where this is the case (of course there may be some somewhere).

I assume ATT&T or Cingular also blocks the Cingular SMS Service Centre at +12099042010.
T68m -> R2F0004 on Cingular - I want my MMS!
BlaSTiWi
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-13 04:22
@cmm3,

Last time I heard from a friend in AT&T plan on their SMS open to International carrier sometime next year (let's hope along w/ MMS )but they do have inter-carrier SMS to work e.g. to T-Mobile/Voicestream or Cingular.

Currently, only T-mobile listed as an International SMS carrier from known list such as ICQ.
Rival
--
T68i (R8A013) + T610 (R1L) & Belkin USB Bluetooth
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-13 06:25
If you yell at them a lot AT&T will eventually make it possible to SMS internationally. That is what happened with T-Mobile, they said it was a configuration problem. Anyway, T-Mobile now supports international SMS messaging so maybe you should switch to them. It works really great for me as a SMS between Hawaii and Sweden all the time and it is really fast, I can even chat on my phone with people in across the world using the built-in chat function in T68i.
cmm3
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 22:55
John,

the cingular Service Centre u provided is also blocked by at&t. my message failed! it was worth a try. i will be taking my phone abroad w\ me in a couple weeks, and if i am satisfied w\ the quality of AT&Ts roaming service, i will keep it -- and simply wait patiently for the international SMS features to be made available.

if i am unhappy w\ the international service -- ie, if i am blocked from making and recieving calls in countries where at&t has roaming agreements -- i will then terminating my contarct and switching to T-mobile. i'm not really talking abt reception quality abroad; at&t cannot control that overseas... (or can they??)

i'm hoping it all works out.

thanks again for your help

Costas.
potok
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-09 07:33
true AT&T in their monopolistic aproach to anything kicked international SMS out. T-mobile, lets me send 500 SMS, who cares where, for 2.99, and i did little test. From Arizona, to Slovenia, 27 second for message? he he....
P800, on T-mobile USA
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-09 10:25
U guys rediscover the wheel in the us with the sms.from here(romania)i can send sms2over270 networks worldwide at 7c/sms.u can't use other smsc's cuz every1 blocks it;(

This post was posted from a Nokia

P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-09 10:51
Regarding roaming:if traveling2europe,u'll find the service so much better than in US!but u gotta check with att about prices,coverage and voicemail issues(u might pay 2it'nal calls when listening2ur messages-if u need details tell me.

This post was posted from a Nokia

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi