Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Owning a pet

Author Owning a pet
procterdc
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-15 00:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Couldn't find any decent cat forums, so thought i'd turn to my fellow esato brothers...

I move into my first ever flat next month and one of the things I am desperate to get...is a cat.

I am still living my with my parents at the mo and back in July got a kitten...I DO NOT WANT A KITTEN!!!! She's a nightmare, always running around the house like a tornado, peeing on the floor etc.

We already have two other cats, 1 a tabby and 1 a ginger tom. I've found over the last few years that the ginger tom (charlie) is more friendly and loving than any other cats we've had. Is this generally in their nature?

Anyway, back to the flat. I'll be living in a 1st floor flat (in a block of four, 2 up, 2 down) There is a small communal area. How would I let the cat live its day to day routine? There is no catflap in the communal door, but other flats further down (same style) the people there have cats.

Is it possible to create a routine where the cat stays in all day and then goes out at about 11pm (coming back in about 8am ish)

I really want a cat, hoping to get another ginger tom.

Any advice would be great thanks.

Daniel

[ This Message was edited by: procterdc on 2007-12-29 13:03 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 09:53
@Proctordc

I have just got a new kitten and yes it is like a mini-tornado. Her latest trick? - she climbs up the Christmas Tree! I walk into the room and there is the kitten perched up in the tree like a funny looking, 4-legged Crow. Its good job its a sturdy tree too otherwise the whole lot would come crashing down!

Anyway, back to your question. A cat will pretty much stay in dozing all day and go missing at night - a routine that isn't hard to get into. Some cats are perfectly happy staying indoors 24hrs and will look at you funny at the mere suggestion of going outside.

My old cat used to go outside but wouldn't stray too far, then it would return and miaow until it was let in again.

Have you not thought about getting a communal cat-flap?

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-15 09:20 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-15 10:17
I own two at the moment, a Ginger Tom and a Tabbie.

Your question is a little bit of a difficult one as its a bit tricky to work a routine around Cats,they aren't really the type of creature to follow orders of ones choosing,im sure you understand where im coming from.

All i can suggest in your situation is to Train your new Cat to be let out at the times you wish it to go, and then Call him back or let him in at the specific time.

You might have to struggle in the begining but the Cat will soon realise its routine and automatically stick to it,well in theory at least anyway.

[addsig]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 12:10
Hi dude,

I live with four cats, at the mo......two PITAs, one skitty ginger kitty(improving with age, thankfully) and one whom i get on with very well - and has the habits you desire in a cat(he's sparko in a chair 3 feet from me now)!
But my point: if you can, try to find a cat who suits/likes/etc... you in the first place.......cats with their own agendas are just a nightmare.......

twerg
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 16:41

I have a cat, love her to death but drives me mad at times. Think it may be a weather thing, her mood changes with the seasons.

As it has previously been said, cats have their own agenda. We are at their beck and call!

Best thing is to let them outside when you go to work/study during the day and let them in when you arrive home. And keep them in over night untill the day after. Cats will hunt and kill the local wildlife during the night. Im sure you would not like that to happen.

Other than that, they have an awesome personality and can look after them selves.
My cat has learnt my routines and greets me when I arrive home every day.

[ This Message was edited by: twerg on 2006-12-15 15:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: twerg on 2006-12-15 15:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: twerg on 2006-12-15 15:52 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-15 16:51
@procterdc

hope this helps u a bit...

http://cats.about.com/

miau miau

ps: turn to axxr, he is a hello kitty fan
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
J-J
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 16:52
Hi procterdc,

The first question to ask is if you are renting the flat, are you allowed to keep pets, some land lords/ladys dont allow it.

Now in answer to your question, i have got 1 cat now and have been brought up with cats all my life and it really varys from cat to cat, some cats prefer being outside, some are more indoor cats.

My current cat hardly ever goes out and if it does it only goes out for ten minutes at a time, even if you have a cat that prefers being outside it is not really a problem, it could quite easily stay outside during the day while you are at work and spend the evening inside when you are home to feed and fuss it.

Either way it shouldnt really be a problem but it will depend alot on the cat.

Where are you planning on getting your cat from? a cat shelter? out the paper? off a friend? [addsig]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 16:53
@twerg

I agree matey. We can't have our cats putting the birds in danger.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-15 15:55 ]
twerg
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 17:01
@Goldenface, Too true!

Where I live we have Swift Parrots that are near extinction, their habitat is a small area of bushland a few kilometers square.

Im also worried that my cat could get into a fight with possums. They are big and have large claws!

[ This Message was edited by: twerg on 2006-12-15 16:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: twerg on 2006-12-15 16:07 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 17:11
I can't let my cat out. The nearest thing she has to going out is to walk along a window ledge 3 storeys up. The streets are too busy with cars for her to be out.

Although she does have plenty of toys and we sometimes bring her with us to visit some friends who also have a cat. She runs in, attacks their cat and eats all its food

What is Catnip and does it work?

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-15 16:12 ]
twerg
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 17:19

A quick search on Google shows that Catnip is a wire cage/enclosure that cats can move freely about in but contained inside. Made in Australia apparnetly.

Catnip is also a plant that gets cat high. Found in Europe and Asia.
O is not a number!!...
J-J
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 18:07
Catnip is cats equivalent to chocolate, most pet shops sell it and it drives cats wild!
You can either by it in little chocolate button type things for them to eat or in a ground down form to sprinkle in places if they just prefer the spell.

I use it with my cat, they were scratching all the stair so we bought some and sprinkled it on her scratch post and because she loves the smell that much, she only ever scratches the post and not the stairs now [addsig]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 18:19
Catnip is awesome!

Okay, if you're feline, catnip is awesome!!! They go completely la la over it/the smell of it.........
p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
Xugaa
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 19:13
Yeah, in my opinion it's much better for your cat to be out in the morning/afternoon and in during the evening, of course coming if it wants to and you're home. Some cats will prefer to be indoors, but is generally wrong since despite what a cat might say lol, they are naturally more "wild" than dogs and so need that outdoors adventure for longer periods than being indoors.

Also just another thing, cats generally aren't as loyal as dogs and so if you live near a lot of others, ecspecially those with cats, make sure you are feeding yours on time etc, otherwise your cat could become attracted to other people who do feed him/her.

[ This Message was edited by: Xugaa on 2006-12-15 18:15 ]
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 21:05
Catnip does nothing for my two, one is a black and white the other tabby (there sisters too), had them since kittens and mini tornado's is a great example of what they are (I'd also refer to them as little shits).

This is the 2nd Christmas with them and the second year i and my girlfriend have to re-decorate the Christmas tree daily!

As for leaving them out all night, i'd say you'd be better off leaving them out all day (if you have to leave them out), mainly due to the hunting business. So far I'm lucky as we only have had the odd grass hopper brought it but i know it will get worse.

Also as one of the above mention, you'd better check with the land lord or who ever whether your allowed pets of not, as many dont.

btw my two cats

Daisy

Poppy
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic