Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Help with WAP / email

12  Next
Author Help with WAP / email
Rolly
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-05 01:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Can someone explain in plain English how to help me with WAP / email?

I have a Sim Free T68 which was bought off line. I am using it on the One 2 One network.

I have set up WAP with the details i rec'd from One 2 One and it seems to work okay, but i don't understand the email set up.

As far as i can work out there are three ways or emailing:

First by using text messaging (e-mail address followed by # then message) and when it asks for the phone number to send to, type '191'. This works okay.

Secondly by logging on to WAP and accessing e-mail via One 2 One WAP site (as opossed to T-Motion). This also seems to work okay.

Lastly there is a POP 3 e-mail which i don;t understand at all. Is this for external email. i.e. BT Internet, Freeserve, etc. If it is, how do you set it up? And how does it work if a big message is sent to you, say 100 lines. Do you get loads of e-mails splitting the message.

Sorry for the long message, i just don;t understand this third way of emailing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Uncleben
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-08 12:09
Your nearly there, to get your phone to work with say freeserve email account you have to get the address of the email server in its number form, like for me i use 212.219.123.2 for both incoming and outgoing mail (or POP3 and SMTP) then you need your password and address which are easy to understand(?) e.g. address : me@ben.com, pass : mrben
The mailbox is the bit i cant help you with though, guess someone else can though, i use a college server so i can esily work it out.Hope you get it sorted.
UncleBen
p.s. i didnt know you couldsend mail through sms, thanks for that!

[ This Message was edited by: Uncleben on 2002-02-08 12:09 ]
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-08 14:48
our network had supported that feature for a long time already.

i guess it's not really popular because of 160 -character limitation of SMS
Rolly
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-09 01:18
Thanks for the reply, but to be honest, i still don't really understand.

The Texting of e-mails is more of a gimick really, it's been around for quite some time now, way before WAP took off in the UK. It comes in handy from time to time, especially if you're abroad and have trouble conecting to WAP (which i always do). And as you can save e-mail address in the phone book, it is actually quite quick and efficient, and as you only pay 10p per e-mail you don't have any connection time.

On another point, do you find that the pictures you can save are really faded / pale compared to the pre-stores ones? I appreciate the resolution is far lower than when you view them on a PC, but even so they seem really faded - is this common?

jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-09 01:33
Rolly : about the pictures,..they will, as you say yourself, never look as good as the "real thing".

Try to adjust the "contrast" in the display-menu,..it can help quite a lot actually

What you can do, when you want to make pictures, is to use very sharp, clear and clean colors and give it more contrast,..not to many shades and lights.
---------------------------------

Another thing is to download the MyPictures program from site.

When You have made the picture in e.g. photoshop, you import it into MyPictures, and use the "color dither" button.
The picture will then have the T-68 color-palette.

MyPictures can be downloaded here:

http://wap.sonyericssonmobile.com

choose : software
choose : T-68
choose : MyPictures

If you need to transfer the picture to the phone by IR, bluetooth or cabel,..you also need to download the Mobile Phone Monitor.
(its on the same website as MyPictures)

Jan

Rolly
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-09 03:00
Jan,

Thanks for that. Still getting used to the phone and its features. Always used to have Motorola, so some of the seem confusing right now. I'm sure once i use the phone more, i'll work it out.

Thanks for the info.

Rolly
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-09 13:11
ROLLY > your welcome

Yes, it does have a lot of features

Jan
mad
Z800
PM
Posted: 2002-02-11 10:58
... ok

[ This Message was edited by: mad on 2002-02-11 11:03 ]
marknicholls
Z600
PM
Posted: 2002-02-23 19:42
Hi,

I have just got a T68 and have tried to set up my pop3 email. I use broadband BLueyonder so there is no dial up number so i set up a freeserve account (just to dial up) and use my pop3 blueyonder details - This worked on my sony Z5 - But on my t68 it says "cannot find server"

Can any advise?

Thanks Mark
Mark
mnichollsuk@mac.com
SE Z600
Batch_2002
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-27 10:08
marcknicholls: I had the same problem with my tesconet account, even though the settings in my 68 were the same as in Outlook Express. I fixed it by entering the IP address of the POP and SMTP servers as suggested in an earlier post, (rather than as "mail.tesco.net" - in my case). Seems DNS does not always work to resolve the name!
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-27 10:43
Besides, using the IP address would result to a step less from the process of resolving the URL name. So it would be a bit faster.
aquatek
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-02 16:32
how do you find the IP address of the POP and SMTP servers ? i'm with bredband in Stockholm Sweden (pop.bredband.net - smtp.bredband.net)
Thanks in advance
Tommy.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2002-03-02 17:09
pop.bredband.net: 195.54.122.73
smtp.bredband.net: 195.54.122.73
aquatek
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-02 17:53
Thanks for that Laffen but STILL all i get is
"connecting" then "finding server" ...... Nothing more happens until i press no then the phone hangs !! Argggggggggg Help (

I checked everything but have no ides why it does this......
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-02 19:10
Yes yes i can help you dont hang up you need to press Send & Recive again. The first time it is Only conecting to the server! I can manage to do this but does anyone now how to send the mail i can recive but it never does send? WHYYYY? and i use Chello does anyone knows the ip numbers for @chello.no pliiiz help the man from Oslo!!

Life is all about Colombia!!
COLOMBIA
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi