Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > ATT GSM charter plan

Author ATT GSM charter plan
elusiun
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-01 04:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
does anyone know if this is a good plan? it says no long distance and roaming charges within home coverage area but what does that mean? if we leave our city, it will be charged? also, does ATT charge if you activate a phone in one state and move to another, do they charge for area code changes? thanks
peanotation
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-01 05:40
i have hte plan too, i live in San diego, CA. and what i've figured out/been told is:

as of January 1st 2003, no matter where you are in the continental US, you're covered by the satelite network. there are NO roaming charges; no long distance charges; and even if you got the cheapest plan (which i did) you'll have more minutes than you know what to do with. if ATT didn't suck so much with their reception, it'd be the best deal in the world. any questions: peanotation@hotmail.com
GixxerForHire
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 01:05
No longdistance or roaming fees as long as you are on the AT&T national GSM network. Reception quality depends on your area. I am a sales rep for AT&T in miami. Check the website or your local store to see a map of current coverage.
dmcgibbo
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 07:59
well what can i do b/c i have the att gsm service in raleigh north carolina and it SUCKS and its been 30 days and they say they have no plans to upgrade towers or fix it and tell me i'm stuck for another 9 months unless i want to pay 200 bucks to get out of contract and then get stuck w/ a used t68i...
GixxerForHire
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 00:14
Well you can easily sell that T68i on ebay. That will cover the $175 cancelation fee. Most of the southeast US in still on analog.
HardRoc
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 01:05
Most of the southeast is covered with GSM with T-Mobile (was Voicestream)
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 02:09
elusiun, I think the deal with AT&T is:

As long as you are on the AT&T network, there are no long distance fees and naturally no roaming charges anywhere in the US. Within your home coverage area, there are no roaming charges even if you are on another GSM network.

Your home area is bigger than just your city. For example, in SoCal it extends from LA to San Diego and when I was on AT&T (pre-GSM) it used to even include the I15 all the way out to Vegas. Not sure if that is still the case.

You didn't say where you are located but you should be able to find out what your home area would be on the web site. I don't know if they charge you for changing your home coverage area.' Whether or not the plan is right for you depends on how you use your phone. I got rid of my unlimited long-distance plan because I was making more international calls than state-to-state...
T68m -> R2F0004 on Cingular - I want my MMS!
pofromchgo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-16 07:02
Hello all, In chicago we have the unlimited minutes and free long distance plan for 99.99 per month, and thats not bad, but they need to have an unlimited Gigabyte plan cuz i seem to go over alot every month! I am glad to see that I am not the only one with issues with reception on the GSM network! The old analog network worked excellent, and i never had any problems, but the new network sucks, and i have been on that network since april, I do see some improvement but I have been assured that as of jan of 2003 the GSM network will be as good as the analog network!
snap-hiss
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-17 19:02
gigabyte? Jeeze. I hope you're not pulling gigs on your phone.
fast_trak
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-19 00:23
I'm just not sure how good a deal this actually is. Coverage in Chicago is spotty at best...and there is no coverage redundancy...ie if a tower goes down, they (ATT customer support) will ask you to drive 10 miles away from your current area to determine if you can find another "live" tower, or tell you that your phone is defective. No kidding, they actually asked me to do this. Yeah, right, like being an early adopter means putting miles on the buggy.

Home territories (as I understand it) are any home coverage area within the US. Outside of that and you are roaming, but the phone will of course not work on any existing digital or analog network. This makes sense, but I was charged roaming while in Minneapolis - an area that is supposed to be in the "home" coverage area.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi