Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Has the P990 lived up to your expectations?

12  Next
Author Has the P990 lived up to your expectations?
tindo196
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 18:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just me being curious ,ive seen a lot of ex P900/10 owners bad mouth the p990 .ive also seen a lot praise it with reservations regarding future updates.My question would be what do u think of the P990 as compared to the p900/10 models ,is it a fitting successor to these models?And in your experience does it compare favourably to other current smartphones if its bugs were ironed out despite the delays?

[ This Message was edited by: tindo196 on 2006-10-14 18:46 ]
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 19:30
ha ha ah ah H HA HA AH AH AHA H
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 19:50
P990 has never ever met my expectations. Not even when it was announced. It was low on specs and was not overall as sexy as my P910. My main concern is not its bugs or slow speed, its the sound quality and volume that disappoints me the most (Its nowhere near P910).
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 20:48
Subject to fixes for memory leaks I am very impressed with the P990. I bought a newish P910 recently (gave my original to a friend who was going through a divorce, it cheered him up!) to compare. The P990 is not just on a connectivity basis in a different league but the screen, graphics and hardware quality are just superb when compared to the P910. And the P910 is not quicker, it suffers from pauses and delays. The problem is the P990 can do so much that if you try to run all the power apps together eventually it runs out off RAM. Also if you think that the p910 is a P800 after 3 years of development then the P990 is not bad - but it does show that the P1000 will be the 'P910' of UIQ3/Symbian 9.
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 21:05
YES.
i think p990i bugs and problems have been highly hyped...

people need to understand it has low ram so it will take few seconds to load.

its very slow when u save a bluetooth transfer message when its a mp3 or any audio format or a small 3gp clip or any video format. | but m sure SE will come out with a update firmware and fix this problem

the main problem that everybody is facing is the restart and hangs | always close ur apps thorugh task manager always...or eles install swiss manager and check the option (close the flip and automatically the applications are closed by swiss manager) this is the thing which everybody needs to go thru otherwise p990i is a buggy phone...!!!

yes its not as smooth as p910i but try to deal with it.. iv been also doing this practice when i had p910i...i always use to close applications and..even in p910i iv faced big time problems but those bugs were never hyped but when it comes to p990i i dunno the problems are hyped a lot...

at times iv seen if somebody does a mistake and finds it as a bug.. the reaction is totally negative that it will be updated in the new firmware cmon first look what are you doing..!!

iv seen many people they juzz tab tab and tab.. and invites the bug..they cant wait a single second...!! p990i is like a pc and this pc is not fast enough...!!!

but if u see features wise its amazing !! i love the

camera(2mp and now u can hide alll the icons.. and shyts.. and juzz feel like u have an o2 xda)

rss feeds(love this new feature)

web (p910i web had disappointed me but p990i awsome !! all thanks to opera)

video(awsome.. video playback it gives i love it..infact its really great to watch a movie in p990i)

audio(disappointed with audio playback very less volume but its ok.. it hardly matters)

task manager(i use it everyday and as i said closing apps..so..its very imp feature for p990i)

follow up call(awsome feature when u reject a call it gives u an option of adding a task or no..i use it when m busy in tuts...i juzz click the no button and afta tutions i come out and task shows me at this time there was an incoming call)

messaging(amazing this time.. esaily could setup the gmail account and works like a charm, wat disappoints is the bluetooth messaging..takes lot of time to save)

calendar ( i wud say far better than p910i's calendar i remember i had to install a app something called birthday reminder or something but this time they have given the option as aniversary and also it shows u very systemticaly when u click on dat date it shows what reminders u have saved)

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST

WIFI (ok its amazing works awsome ...iv been using wifi daily @ home and it works very nice...also iv tried outside...and ders no problems that i have faced)

CONCLUSION:

amazing phone with power packed features...but only one mistake is taking the phone to hell is the lower ram !!

SE YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT RAM IN UR NEXT P SERIES PHONE

cheers !!
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
liamski
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 23:53

I think Indiandawg sums it up nicely
Adz21
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-15 00:30
i couldnt agree more! i love my p990 its everything i expected! My p910 used to crash and reset in order to improve performance everyday , it did it in the middle of phone calls and in my pocket doing nothing!My 990's done it 3 times in the last 2 weeks! Its not a big deal and im sure firmware updates will sort other "problems" out!
Too many people have jumped on the bandwagon to slag it off! I just hope people are not influeced by the more respected users opinions who slag this great phone off, and are put of buying one for themselves!

adhussain
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 00:47
I'm pretty happy, bugs are there but nothing major as far as my device is concerned, future firmwares should hopefully clear those out as well.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...........................

[ This Message was edited by: adhussain on 2006-10-14 23:49 ]
Dale_jeffs
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 02:56
if the P990i was released in Q1 i think it would have been more impressive. when i first saw the P990i back in November i though wow now that i have 1 i expected alot more for my wait.

its definatly better than my old P910i but i think they could of done better. i wont be keeping mine long
i esato.com!
royalty
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-15 03:08
most people'
s expectations are beond logic , im very happy with my p990
adnhk1
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 04:05
Hi Adz21, I think you have had a faulty P910i. Apart from myself plus 6 other friends, I have at least 50 over users owning a P910i in the company I worked for the past 2 years, and all of our P910i can last for at least one full month before a reboot is required on our P910i.

As for P990i, I don't quite agree that the issues being posted are hyped. They are there and we have to note, that the P990i was released in most Asian countries since mid August 2006. For the past 2 months, 2 new versions of firmware have already been released but still, simple bugs like Alarm not working properly (this issue happens very unpredictably) and even call logs and Connections logs are not working properly. Speaking of alarm, it just woke me up at 6am this morning, which it is supposed to be riniging during weekedays Oh, the bug where in areas that 3G signal is weak, will cause the GSM signal to be equally weak thereby causing the phone to lost connection oftenly. This may be dependant on operator's 3G implementation, but it does not happen to even a i year old W900i at the very same location with the same operator. There are many more simple bugs that are not supposed to be even there for any flagship devices, but well... Remember, 2 firmware updates have already been released, how many more must we wait till they finally fix all those long list of bugs?

Btw, the M600i latest firmware still have a list of bugs "unsolved". So I am not so optimistic should SE release the same Organiser R4C firmware for the P990i in the coming week.

I had read thru most of the almost 30 pages long bugs thread on P990i. What I realises is that many of the issues being faced by users are in one way of another related to RAM memory going too low and hence their apps are not working properly. If SE had in the very first place given us 128MB RAM memory instead of the current 64MB, 1/2 of the issues in the bug thread will not be there in the very first place. This is a combination of hardware, OS and UIQ 3 issue, so it may only be resolved in the next P series and not via any firmware updates for P990i

I had actually mentioned many times with regards to lack of RAM memory issue on the P990i as compared to P910i ever since CommunicAsia 2006 in June this year, so it is all up to individual whether or not he/she can accept to wait for 5 secs or more when they wanted to use apps like messaging, calendar, contacts, etc (errr, I mean 5 secs or more to wait for EACH application to start up). Whether or not he/she can accept his active application being killed off by the OS automatically when he tries to multitask a little, eg, read my post to SE developer's here:

http://developer.sonyericsson[....].jspa?threadID=33163&tstart=15

Actually, the issues from developer's forum happens even w/o contacts, calendar being opened. I just need to perform those things with just notes and tasks will be enough for the OS to kill off everything, including those things that I was actively doing, like listening to music

Many of us are paying a premium price for the P990i. The P990i is at the same price range as WM 5 devices like TyTN, but comes with a processor speed that is 1/2 that of TyTN. The TyTN has got more RAM memory than the P990i too, hence making it a better option for multitasking, for the very first time on a WM device

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=133132

drgopoos
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 04:57
a big no for the time being...

an yes might emerge once the further updates come
thebamboozle
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 07:23
yes im very satisfied, and i will be even more happy when the new FWs come..
thebamboozle.livejournal.com
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 08:51
Lemme tell you one thing clearly guys UIQ 3.0 is beautifull and smartly maid !! before i thought i wud not like UIQ 3.0 cause i was quiest addicted to the basic features of UIQ 2.0

but only problem in UIQ 3.0 is the RAM...but there is a solution to deal with it

while if u compre UIQ 3.0 with WM 5.0 m sorry UIQ 3.0 wins easily..for me at least !!

T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
Dummaari
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 08:55
not wht i expected to be..

but still the best for me from whts on the market right now.

I guess i am going to P990 because of UIQ, But this UIQ is having a lot of BUGS.

Windows mobile is not my choice for sure
www.posmaldives.com
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi