Forum > Regional > Americas > Hawaii Forum

12  Next
Author Hawaii Forum
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-10-30 10:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I thought it is time we have our own forum considering GSM is the way to go now when T-Mobile and AT&T are taking over the islands. Post any questions or topics worth discussing here. Considering Hawaii is lacking technology and gadgets I thought a lot of people will need this forum to widen the knowledge of the mobile world. People who don't live in Hawaii are also welcome to this forum with any questions or discussions.

Personally I am a T-Mobile user and think they've done a great job here in Hawaii. Since T-Mobile took over Voicestream I have seen a lot of improvements.
koopa
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 08:00
Lacking in technology and gadgets?

Hmmm... VS and PrimeCo rolled out their networks on Oahu in 95/96. Shortly After Hawaiian Wireless (are they still around?) GTE Mobile Net, and Honolulu Cellular rolled out their digital networks. While i will agree that the Neighbor Islands are kinda iffy (Maui is ok-decent, Big Island is ok, Kauai sucks), genneraly Hawaii is fairly on the ball with wireless technology. I dunno where i read this (Hawaiian HardDrive i think), but Oahu has a much higher than average wireless adoption rate then the genneral US population. Also since 80% of the states population resides in the City and County of Honolulu, its easier to cover the majority of the states population due to a higher than average amount of people per square foot. Hence the quick adoption and spread of digital wireless tech in the Islands.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 11:31
I am sure there is a high density of mobile phone users here in Hawaii. Probably more than some mainland states. What I meant by lacking is that the phones offered in retail as well as the phones people use here in Hawaii are way old. The technological awareness is also extremely low. Hardly anyone knows what Bluetooth or MMS is. Yes, the state is generally good coverage by the competing providers. No, Hawaiian Wireless is not around anymore...think AT&T took over their business. Anyway, I'm glad AT&T and T-Mobile get to compete with their GSM/GPRS services here in Hawaii.

Glad to see a post and hope we can create a good discussion forum with Hawaii included.
elusiun
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 13:38
i live in hawaii..any idea if any t-mobile sellers have the t68i model?? seems only ATT has them =(

koopa
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 17:38
Quote:
What I meant by lacking is that the phones offered in retail as well as the phones people use here in Hawaii are way old.

Uhm.... arnt the phones offered in Hawaii the same as what the carriers offer in the mainland? Checking Amazon.com with a Hawaii zipcode (96817 - Chinatown ) T-Mobile offers the same phones as they do on their website. Now unless you are talking about some EU tri-band phones that the carriers dont carry... that is always dependent on the independant dealer.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 20:00
elusium> T-Mobile or Voicestream as they were called back then used to offer the T68m but since the T68i came out they stopped selling it. Some people at T-Mobile say that they will get the T68i while others say they won't. I would recommend buying one unlocked T68i on eBay. They are selling pretty cheap now.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-10-31 20:10
koopa> see that is the problem. There are no independent importers here. Everyone is dependent on the service providers. Somebody really should consider taking on this business independently. In the meantime, it is good we have sites like eBay, expansys.com and hongkongshop.net
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 04:44
Went down to T-Mobile in Kaneohe today and saw to my delight that they have finally expanded their mobile phone supply. They now have some neat phones such as SE T300 as well as Siemens. However, I didn't see any T68i - a must have phone.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-24 08:29
Seems like I am the only one posting in this forum. Well, just proves my point about mobile phone awareness/interest in Hawaii

Anyway, just to let people know that might read this forum that I will be distributing Bluespoon Panthers in Hawaii as soon as they are released on the market. Any person interested may email me at bluespoon@cellhead.com for more information.
skier
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-01 06:25
It's pretty sad that I often know more about the phones, services, etc than people working in my local T-Mobile store.
However, T-Mobile service has gotten a lot better since T-Mobile took over VStream. Coverage on the Big Island seems to be getting better every day. In places where T-Mobile has no coverage, AT&T has a signal...
Lucky we live Hawaii!
=Dj_Free=
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-01 06:27
hey hows hawaii doin? is it great?! how about the beaches!
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-12-01 07:40
skier> any snow on the big island? You're right about T-Mobile - coverage and services offered are a lot better since the take-over.

dj> yes the beaches are great - as always - miss snow though!
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-02-08 02:19
Are you running a cell phone or PDA business in Hawaii?

Are you interested in the Displex Display Polish?

I am the Hawaii distributor of Displex so contact me if you are interested. I provide the best prices and free delivery/shipping within Oahu.

displaypolish@cellhead.com

CrazyStud17
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2003-02-10 11:21
Hey guys,

Also 96817 here, chinatown, but I'm not Chinese (no offense). Does anyone of you know where I can buy a t68i arctic blue casing? I cracked my casing... I really need help,

Thanks,
Ron

[ This Message was edited by: CrazyStud17 on 2003-02-10 10:24 ]
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-02-10 19:23
Sorry, I don't know of any place in Hawaii. Check eBay.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi