Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Push email on P990/M600

Author Push email on P990/M600
dannycol
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-12 18:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Can anyone explain easily how to set up push email?

I'm with o2 in the UK, do you have to notify your network or subscribe, does it cost anything? How many email accounts can you use, is it limited to pop 3 or ok with web based email, hotmail or yahoo accounts? I looked into it a while ago when the P910 came out, but o2 wanted then something like £15/month for the service, so i did'nt bother with it.
simpsons
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-12 19:38
O2 prices still about the same today....
Low cost alternative is to use your O2 Email and get it to send you a txt msg when email arrives in the O2 email box etc. You can then decide if you want to download or not.
(Forward existing email on any other servers to the O2 account.)
Cost ..... the price of a txt msg to your phone.

Any help ?
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-14 20:42
U can set it to download your e-mails every 2 minutes if you want. U can call that |pushed| too if u want. At no additional cost.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
dannycol
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-14 21:28
Yeah setting download intervals times seems a good idea, though p910 only allows minimum 15 min intervals which is probably sufficient for me any way. If p990/m600 allows 2 min intervals thats a great alternative to 'push email' with no extra cost incurred. So why bother with Push email?
craig_l
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-01-20 14:57
I have it working now on my w850i. Here is how I did it:

1. Setup an IMAP account with fastmail.fm
2. Setup a new IMAP account on my phone using the details supplied by fastmail.fm (I set the phone to download just the headers)
3. Send an email to your fastmail email address
4. Do a send & recv on your mobile
5. When the mail was received the phone told me that the server supported push asked me if I wanted to activate push email.

After all this started to work I took it one stage further. I set my gmail account to auto forward a copy of all new mail to my fastmail email address. I then set the outgoing mail settings so that I could send mail using gmail.

Now, whenever I get sent a mail to my gmail address I get notified on my mobile within seconds. Gmail forwards a copy of the message and doesn't add any thing to it (ads, tags etc). If I choose to reply using my phone the mail gets sent using Gmail's SMTP server so recipients don't know that I have any different addresses other that my gmail address. I can also then download my email from Gmail normally because all the emails remain in my Gmail inbox.

It all seems to work really well, the only thing I'm not sure about is how much data useage it will be to constantly check email. I get 1mb per month included with my tariff from o2. If anyone knows could you please let me know?

Hope this helps.

BTW, I realise the setup for email will probably be completely different on your phones, but I thought it might be a good guideline.

[ This Message was edited by: craig_l on 2007-01-20 13:59 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi