Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Connecting to Internet using two phones

Author Connecting to Internet using two phones
blue_earth
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 16:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok I searched for this and could not get satisfying results... so here goes...I have two cellphones... Nokia 6630 and Nokia 6600 which I connect to my laptop using bluetooth... both are on airtel with gprs service activated...
How can I use both the phones "simultaneously" over "bluetooth" to connect to the internet?? Using 6630 I get a speed of around 9-11 KBPS and my 6600 gives me a speed of 6-7KBPS... what i want is to get a combined speed of 17-18KBPS using both the phones simultaneously... Here's what I have done:

1. Installed Nokia Modem Options
2. Installed 6630 and 6600 as bluetooth modems
3. Both the phones are paired with the laptop
4. DUN connections are created for both the modems

I can dial using my 6630 without any problems... but when i try to dial using my 6600 I get a hardware failure...

Please help me on this ...
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 17:56
Quote:

On 2006-07-29 16:12:40, blue_earth wrote:
Ok I searched for this and could not get satisfying results... so here goes...I have two cellphones... Nokia 6630 and Nokia 6600 which I connect to my laptop using bluetooth... both are on airtel with gprs service activated...
How can I use both the phones "simultaneously" over "bluetooth" to connect to the internet?? Using 6630 I get a speed of around 9-11 KBPS and my 6600 gives me a speed of 6-7KBPS... what i want is to get a combined speed of 17-18KBPS using both the phones simultaneously... Here's what I have done:

1. Installed Nokia Modem Options
2. Installed 6630 and 6600 as bluetooth modems
3. Both the phones are paired with the laptop
4. DUN connections are created for both the modems

I can dial using my 6630 without any problems... but when i try to dial using my 6600 I get a hardware failure...

Please help me on this ...

I do not think it can be done based on the fact that your PC will have two active connections open. The key here being, "I do not think it will work". I do you would have to link two sockets (data sockets) together to combine the aggregate and I do not know of a program that does this. The best thing to do is to call you provider and ask them.

Also, if your phones and computer do not support more than one BT connection, you are out of luck and there is nothing anyone can do about that. You have to have a computer than can connect to more than one BT device at a time.

-/..../../...//.../../-/.//../...//--./---/../-./--.//-/---//-/...././/-../-

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2006-07-29 17:00 ]
blue_earth
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 20:12
Thanks 4 ur reply..But i've heard that two dial up connections can be used together on the same computer simultaneously..So y can't this be done?After all..We use the "dial up networking" profile of the phone when v use gprs..So windows should assume these connections as ordinary dial up connections itself, isn't it?Btw..D laptop supports multiple bluetooth connections..

[ This Message was edited by: blue_earth on 2006-07-29 19:28 ]
machuca_622
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 20:53
it doesnt work. i've done this but i connected one 6620 via bluetooht and another via usb cable. I used a laptod with windows xp, it recognise the two active conections but it only use one.

[ This Message was edited by: machuca_622 on 2006-07-29 19:56 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 22:26
Quote:

On 2006-07-29 20:53:01, machuca_622 wrote:
it doesnt work. i've done this but i connected one 6620 via bluetooht and another via usb cable. I used a laptod with windows xp, it recognise the two active conections but it only use one.

[ This Message was edited by: machuca_622 on 2006-07-29 19:56 ]

This is what I was trying to say about combining an aggregate. I do not think Windows can do this.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-30 10:20
@blue earth, connecting to the internet using two gprs phones is a difficult (difficult, not impossible) proposition...It might be possible practically..but since i havent tried it, i am not in a position to comment. I have pondered over this for quite sometime..havent had the patience or the time to try it.

Load balancing could be an option for you...
But you need to consider a few things, firstly its not as simple as plugging in 2 connections and start browsing, IMHO there will be several issues you will face in trying to achieve this..

However lets keep things simple for now and stick to an idea (its still an idea!) of using Proxies.

A method to do this would be a routing script which will run on the machine. This script "tells" the browser (MOST BROWSERS OF TODAY SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS ACIEVING THIS. But again, since I have not done this practically, I cannot comment.. ) to switch between 2 proxy servers.

When you load a page like esato, it would load some of it from one proxy and some of the page from the other proxy, it will also remember which proxy it used and continue to use the same proxy each time it needs to load that file.

There are various disadvantages to this though. firstly the client machine is now suffering the additional workload. This might not be much for todays computers, but at the end of the day you are wasting resources.

Note that You are NOT going to get "double" speed, (which is what you're looking for )

This is because, although you now have 2 connections working for you they are still each working on a single file at a time.

You will notice this most while downloading a single file with a single thread. With "better" load balancing solutions, you could run multiple threads on your downloads and you would get "double" speed.

I found this link while searching for this...
http://naragw.sharp.co.jp/sps/

If you have some free time, a lot of patience and a decent understanding of networking & Linux you could look at full blown Bonding/Load Balancing here

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/nano.txt (you will need the patches from http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes)

For windows, you can use the freely available wingate software to create a proxy from a wintel box.

You do not get double the speed on downloads etc, but what you do get is the ability to download a file via one modem and another via another modem etc (load balancing/sharing)

Another point here is that gprs connections use dynamic IPs. Bonding should work better on static IPs simply because static IP's are easier to bond than dynamic IP's.

My friend has_33 at the SE India thread has tried this method and i belive he was fairly successful in this regard...but he's on vacation in Dubai now...i'll get back to him for more info on this when he's back...

Still, cosidering the increased rates for GPRS nowadays, i think it would be advisable to invest in a broadband connectin instead of trying this...

||'/
o o
-oOOo--(_)--oOOo-
WHIZ

------------Oooo--
oooO ( )
( ) ) /
( (_/
_)

[ This Message was edited by: whizkidd on 2006-07-30 09:28 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi