Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > K800 user reviews

123  Next
Author K800 user reviews
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-20 18:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This thread is for Sony Ericsson K800i Cyber-shot reviews only. The intention is to start one single review thread for each new model. Feel free to start other threads in the Review forum.

Comments about the reviews should be posted in other threads.

You will find one review here http://www.esato.com/reviews/sonyericssonk800/
parsnip
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-26 22:00
reviews anyone?
lol
www.aviatorforums.co.nr
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-27 02:21
I dont like the k800i
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
borg_
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2006-08-27 12:02
I do Like
Xperia ZL White + C905 Ice Silver + MW600 + MBW-150 Executive + /// T39m Ericsson Technology
easy2deal168
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-03 09:10
K800i is a good phone........
j0be
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2006-09-07 16:39
Loved the K750 & W800, cannot make up my mind about the K800.
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-07 16:49
Curretnly liking this phone very much, excellent camera despite what people say about the n73 being better...nice design as well although the joystick could be better. Audio playback is pretty good as well and works well with my hbh ds970 bt headset.

Alll in all a very good phone, i quite like it and havent really had any issues with it. Internet browsing is pretty good i have to admit...email works very well...downloads my email from gmail every couple of hrs.

At the moment cant fault the phone.
Washburn
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-09-07 16:50
I don`t have this kind of phone but from what I read and heard...

this phone is really good if you`re into pictures and images...
solja786
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-09 12:20
really nice screen..cant get enough of it...horribel keypad...i get tried writin a tet msg..joystick??? dont kno about it..hope it doesnt get messed up..so far so good..
sound quality wid hpm-70s is good..cmera is good specially the best-pic function..its nice..
had a couple o bugs in the beginnin..crashed usin mobiluck..wouldnt regester any calls i would make , recieve,or miss..would have to clear the whole call log...
when the screen fades away for standby..first the bottom half of the keys goes out..then the top half and the screen..meanin first buttons 789*0# go out then 123456 and then the keys above dat and then the screen and its the opposite when u press a key...first thought it was a bug and didnt like it at all..but no i actually like it..its a cool effect
picture dj is good..specially teh clipart..flash is good for nite pics..
and overall a nice phone.
ch33sehead
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-14 23:21
My Review:

After owning several Samsungs, several Motorolas, a Nokia, and the K750i, I've gotten my hands on a brown (shiat color!) K800i, and I am convinced that it is absolutely the best phone on the market. Here's why:

First and foremost, it is a phone, so call reception should be the most important characteristic. I've found the reception of the K800i to be relatively SPECTACULAR on T-Mobile. My old Samsung S105 had great reception, but when I "upgraded" (I use the term loosely) to the E315, it was horrible. On down the line, I got a hold of the Motorola V300, which had decent reception. The SE K750i had pretty poor reception, usually 1-3 bars. My brother's W800i had usually 2-4 bars. I've had the K800i for a little over a month, and I can honestly say that reception is consistently 3-5 bars almost everywhere. And it's not just because they've tuned the bars to make it look like you have better reception; the improvement actually shows in call quality and stability. I used to get dropped calls on EVERY SINGLE one of my previous phones (except for the Samsung S105, which I still think is an awesome phone), but I have yet to have a dropped call on my K800i. I am sad to admit that I used to think that having dropped calls was standard and acceptable. Now I know it is not.

Phonebook was highly customizable, you can specify individual ringtones, pictures, and other personal info for each contact. One thing I don't like about SE phones though is that for speeddial, you hafta press the button and then press call, whereas on the Samsung ones (or was it Motorolas?) you just press and hold the number to speeddial.

Camera: The camera is awesome. I usually have it on Auto mode, Infinity Focus (auto focus takes too long for me), Normal Metering (I don't really like Spot Metering), and Auto White Balance, and pictures come out clear, bright, and colorful. The image stabilizer is actually overhyped, because it's only available in the Landscape and Twilight Landscape presets, and it's just not that useful or efficient anyway. Image Stabilizer is supposed to be used with zoom anyway, but seeing how this phone only has digital zoom and no optical zoom, it's quite useless. The Xenon flash is awesome in low-light conditions, but ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use it when there's sufficient light (or even semi-sufficient light), as it will actually DARKEN the picture. Compared to stand-alone cameras, it holds its own. Only problem is lack of optical zoom.

The BestPic function is actually better than I thought. One thing about it is it's actually extremely fast. Takes about 1 second to take 9 pics. Then you get to choose which ones to save (you can save all 9 if you want, but you don't have to save any). One particular use is for slow-mo frame-by-frame shots.

As for the video camera, it's quite insulting that they call it "High Quality Video." Yeah, 176x144 resolution is really high quality. Come on Sony, you couldn't slap in a VGA video camera? Well, at least the sound is decent in videos.

Note: The pictures of my phone were taken with my bro's K800i. The photos of the black one were taken with my K800i.

Music Player: I find it better than the K750i and my bro's old W800i. The interface is improved, and the music just sounds clearer--it's like you can hear more sounds or more channels. There is a loss of the MegaBass equalizer preset, but I don't really think it was really that great on the K750i or the W800i. I just use the manual equalizer and raise the 1st, 3rd, and 5th bars up, and lower the 4th bar down. I listen to music on my HPM-70s, and I personally think it sounds better than any iPod. Remember - the bundled headphones suck, so get either the HPM-70, the HPM-82, or the bluetooth stereo HBH-DS970 (though I cannot comment on this item since I do not own it).

The video player is quite awesome as well. It can play at a 320x240 resolution, which is quite sufficient and comparable to other video players out there. The 2" screen is quite nice and a great improvement over the K750i/W800i. I've watched entire South Park episodes on this thing!

Other features: (Note: for T-Mobile it's $6/mo for unlimited 56K-speed internet) The built-in web browser sucks ass because it's so slow, but Opera Mini works very well (even though it's not as beautiful). The email functions on the phone kind've suck, as you cannot navigate your email folders. You can only download emails from your "Inbox" folder, which is retarded. I've used a plethora of other email applications from http://www.getjar.com such as Flurry and Repora, and I have decided that using Opera Mini is still the most efficient way to get my email.

It lost the Flashlight that the K750i had! But at least someone provided the Torch hack that forces the orange/red autofocus light on.

The video call feature would've been great, if only anyone else around here had it (California)! Unfortunately, no one does. It would have been a decent mirror if the picture of yourself wasn't so small.

There are alot of other apps you can get for this phone from http://www.getjar.com, from which my favorite is Google Maps Mobile (other than Opera Mini, of course). I've converted from Yahoo Maps to Google Maps a few months ago, and I was thrilled to find out that they actually developed a mobile version for it. One thing the mobile version has over the full version is that you can check traffic! And it's actually accurate!

Connectivity-wise, there's USB, Bluetooth, IrDA, and Internet.

Battery Life: I just feel that the battery life is actually better than the K750i, despite the lower rating of 7 hours talk time. And the indicator is more accurate too! On the K750i, the battery bar keeps fluctuating--one minute it would be at 65%, the next it would be a 33%, and the next it will be 48%. The battery indicator on the K800i is consistent for the most part. Notably, using the speakers doesn't drain as much battery as it did on the K750i.

Gripes: Memory Stick Micro M2. $$/$$$. Unnecessary "upgrade". Ordered a 1GB SanDisk brand one on Amazon just to avoid giving Sony more money (and also because it was "only" $53). I say we all boycott Sony memory sticks and all buy other brands!

Sony's PC Suite sucks. Just install the USB drivers and install MyPhoneExplorer instead.

Design: The phone has a very sexy candybar form. The bulge on the camera actually makes for a good deskstand. Good solid feel on the front, and soft sueded touch on the back, with a big beautiful screen. The joystick feels considerably sturdier than on older models. The keypad isn't that great. It would be nice if they actually spaced the buttons apart like on the W810 so that you could dial by feel. However, typing isn't as bad as it's made out to be once you get used to the T9 word recognition system (hold * to enable/disable). I actually prefer it to oldschool style where you press 6 once for m, twice for n, and thrice for o--which my brother still uses religiously.

The "Internet" button on the left is quite useless since I use Opera Mini to access the web, so I wish there was a way to reprogram it. Unfortunately, SE only allows reprogramming of the joystick directional buttons.

The menus are very intuitive, and you could create your own themes! With animations if you like!

Conclusion: I love this phone to death and wouldn't trade it for any other, though I hate Sony for some of its problems (M2 expensive!). With Sony it's always a love/hate relationship, but in this case love overcomes. An excellent phone, camera, mp3 player, AND web browser all-in-one with great connectivity.

I give it 8.5/10

Edit: After about nine months, my phone now has the WSOD. I am in the process of flashing w/ Wotanserver. I am starting to suspect that the camera is not actually 3.2MP. I would speculate that it just takes a 2.0MP picture, resizes it, and processes it. Most pictures won't come out well unless there's (1) good lighting and (2) you're holding the camera steady. Flash or not, low light performance still sucks most of the time. And as always, there's ton of color noise, which I have to use Photoshop to postprocess. Parts of my keypad are also starting to peel off. Calendar reminders suck because (1) you can't change tones for it and (2) the default tone is not loud at all. Oh well. At least M2 prices are dropping. I still love my phone D. I have changed the rating from 9.5 down to 8.5 to reflect the update.

[ This Message was edited by: ch33sehead on 2007-06-07 20:55 ]

Update 2: I now have had this phone for over a year, and I am deathly afraid to turn off my phone. The WSOD might strike if I do, and then I'd have to go through all the trouble of reflashing it, even though it can be done for free. It has happened to me twice already. I now have a REAL camera (a Canon SD1000), so my k800i camera is just a gimmick now. My keypad is about half peeled off, but all of the buttons still work perfectly. Call quality is still great, and so is battery life (no replacement battery - I'm still using the factory one).

I'm going to have to agree with all of chris_de_ze's complaints, except for the joystick/keypad ones, and disagree with most of NewHolland's points. Yet, I've done a large amount of research on newer models from different makes and cannot find a suitable replacement despite all of my complaints.

[ This Message was edited by: ch33sehead on 2008-01-13 21:25 ]
xan K
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 02:26
I love my K790. It's a great phone. BTW, beautiful review ch33sehead.
ghostfreak
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-15 02:55
I love my k800i It's a great phone!
http://www.ghostrx.net
T300 > T610 > K700i > K750i > K800i > K850i > W910i > K850i (after flash with R1FA035) > C905 (broken earpiece as of 23/01/09) > BB 9000 > BB Bold 9700 > SE Experia X10 Mini Pro
nicv27
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2006-10-15 21:00
I like my k800i the only reservation i have like a lot of people id the joystick apart from that more than happy
tele_xpert
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-11-01 16:27
Motorola KRZR K1 Review

Introduction
One of the most popular mobile phones of all time, the Motorola RAZR V3 was originally announced in 2004 and has since become ubiquitous in the hands of users all around the world. Nicknamed RAZR (razor) for it's groundbreaking slim profile, the clamshell V3 originally sold for upwards of $500 - even with carrier discounts - and soon became a status symbol much like Apple's iPod in the hands of the style mavens and techies alike.

Two years later, Motorola has released the first significant redesign to the RAZR line, the KRZR K1. While minor upgrades to the V3 - V3i, V3m, V3x - have surfaced over the past two years, none altered the form factor of the original RAZR. The KRZR - pronounced "craze-er" and sure to inspire some, um, crazy marketing campaigns - is just more than half the width of its predecessor and trades the V3's cold steel chic for a rich, mirror-like glass finish and rounded lines. The result is one of the sexiest mobile handsets ever produced. It would shock me if Motorola didn't have another fashion frenzy on its hands with the KRZR.

The KRZR is currently available in two versions - the GSM K1, and the CDMA/EV-DO K1m recently released through Verizon Wireless and Alltel in the US. While a Cingular-branded GSM version is said to be coming to the US, it has not yet been announced. The main differences between the K1 and K1m — besides the different radio bands — lie in the camera and music player controls. The GSM K1 features a 2.0 megapixel camera, while both Alltel and Verizon's K1m models have only a 1.3 megapixel camera but add backlit, touch-sensitive music controls to the front panel below the external display. The GSM K1 relies on the use of side-panel buttons to control music playback while the flip is closed. This review will focus on the unlocked, unbranded GSM K1 as tested on the T-Mobile network.

Design
Finished in "Cosmic Blue" with gun metal grey accents, the K1 measures up at 103 x 42 x 16mm in size compared to the original RAZR' V3ms 98 x 53 x 14.5. So the KRZR is significantly narrower, and a hair longer and thicker than the V3m. At 99g, the K1 is also one gram heavier than the V3m. The combination of a reduction in size with basically no change in mass explains the KRZR's solid feel. While by no means a heavy phone, the K1 feels undeniably solid in hand, likely due to the glass finish and sturdy design features (including a rock-solid hinge).

This phone is flat-out beautiful. It arrived in one of the neatest - if also most gimmicky - packages I've ever seen, with dual "wings" that pulled out of the main box presenting the phone on one side and accessories on the other. The phone itself was covered in a plastic protective film on the interior screen and keypad and the exterior glass finish. Peeling away the protector revealed a gorgeous medium blue exterior with something of a hazy mirrored finish. Honestly, my first thought was "Star Trek For Fashionistas."

The KRZR is also much nicer to hold and use than the RAZR. Narrower and longer makes the K1 easier to hold and more balanced in the hand then the V3, and when held open to my ear the handset just feels like a phone should - in place against my ear on one end and near enough to my mouth on the other to inspire confidence that whoever I'm talking to can without question hear me. The phone also takes a little effort to open and flips shut with a satisfying snap, leaving no doubts as to its construction. In fact, the deceiving heft of the handset gives it that solid feel people tend to associate with quality - even though it actually weighs only 3.6 ounces.

The front panel of the phone, done up entirely in hard reflective glass, is particularly chic. The sensor for the 2MP camera is almost hidden, appearing as a small red dot at the top center, sans flash. About a third of the way down the panel, there's a postage-stamp size 65K color display. Again, the Alltel and Verizon-branded K1m models also feature a trio of touch-sensitive music controls beneath this display. The unbranded K1 lacks these controls.

Opening the flip reveals a keypad on the bottom half of the phone and a display on top. The keypad is made from etched metal that will be very familiar to RAZR users. Buttons are primarily white on a blue background, with a silver five-way directional keypad, four softkeys (two of them blue), and green call and red hang up keys above a standard 12-button dialing layout. The keypad is backlit, and uses a very "modern digital" font that looks especially space-age when lit up in a dark room. The display takes up about four-fifths of the upper half of the phone's interior, and two circular Motorola logos at the top and bottom of the handset are done up in grey to match the rest of the trim.

A rocker switch and single button on the left side of the phone serve multiple functions depending on what mode the phone is in, including volume, camera access and zoom, and music track select and play/pause. A sole button on the left panel is used to access voice command functions, and a covered USB port on the bottom of the left panel connects to the included AC adapter or a PC data cable. The back of the phone is finished in a soft-grip blue plastic that's easy to hold, and a silver button releases the portion of it that serves as the battery cover. Beneath the cover are slots for the included battery and SIM and microSD memory cards.

Where the RAZR was groundbreaking in its thin profile, the KRZR is more evolutionary in terms of overall design. Corners are rounded, lines are sleek, surfaces are inviting to touch. Motorola did a marvelous job in designing the successor to their most inconic handset since the StarTac. While I do worry about the K1's exterior scratching over time, it certainly is a gem to behold fresh out of the box.

Features
The K1's feature set is an upgrade from that found on the RAZR line, placing it comfortably amongst today's mid-range handsets. Motorola's user interface is solid if unremarkable, but the clean layout and easy to read fonts get the job done.

The address book offers slots for multiple phone numbers and email addresses as well as URL, IM, postal address, and birthday for each entry, and contacts can be organized into groups for easy search and usage. Caller ID and ringtone ID are supported, and along with a host of pre-installed 72-chord polyphonic ringtones (many of which actually sound quite good), AAC and mp3 ringtones are supported.

An alarm clock, calendar with alarm reminders, notepad, and world clock round out the standard set of organizer applications, and the K1 also supports voice dialing, voice commands, and voice memo recording. Syncing is supported over USB and Bluetooth, and J2ME applications may be downloaded directly or installed from a computer.

Motorola has also built support for its Screen3 "zero-click access to your favorite news, sports, and other premium content" into the KRZR K1, though this feature was not supported by T-Mobile during my testing. The Verizon-branded K1m supports their VCast broadband media service with access to text, graphic, and streaming audiovisual programming as well as downloadable content.

The K1 I tested included a single pre-installed game, Platinum Sudoku. Motorola's take on the popular number puzzle was well-done, so far as I could tell (I couldn't find an English language option). The phone was built in Hong Kong and featured support for multiple languages.

Camera
Motorola built the GSM K1 with a 2.0 megapixel camera. Curiously, the Alltel and Verizon-branded CDMA K1m models only have a 1.3 MP camera. The camera sensors on both versions are mounted at the top-center of the front panel, and lack the logos or "camera housings" found on most cameraphones. Instead, an unmarked dot of red light is the only indication of the optics beneath the surface.

The camera on the GSM K1 performed very well under optimal lighting conditions. However, the lack of a flash or any sort of flash-assist light made for sub-par photography in anything less than great light. Photos shot in everyday conditions, particularly those taken at night or in dimly lit indoor spaces, tended to suffer from a lack of detail, sharpness, and color clarity - common complaints with cellphone pics. These problems weren't always so readily apparent when pictures were viewed on the K1's screens, but transferring full 2MP photos to a PC for viewing or printing revealed the flaws. Comprehensive exposure control and image editing features built into the KRZR's sofware helped somewhat, whereas overuse of the 8x digital zoom tended to make matters worse.

The K1 can also record MPEG4 video with sound at up to 15 frames/second using resolutions as high as CIF (352 x 288). Video quality was pretty good; again, the less digital zooming is used, the consistently better the overall results. While videos intended for MMS messages are capped at 14 seconds in duration, the length of other video recordings is limited only by the amount of available memory space in the phone or on an installed microSD card

Display
Two displays are present on the K1: an internal 1.9" TFT screen and an external STN screen. The internal display supports 262,000 colors at 176x220 pixels, while the external display supports 65K colors at 96x80 pixels. Both displays get the job none, though neither can be considered earth shattering by today's cell phone standards. Note that the internal display on the K1m is listed at 65,000 colors, not the 252K of the unbranded GSM K1.

The internal display is clear and bright, with good detail and vividness of colors. However, it's not particularly large or high-resolution, so it can't display the same number of characters per line or lines at a time as the current crop of phones QVGA screens. Really, this was only an issue when using the WAP Web browser or browsing the messaging or Email inboxes. Inboxes, in particular, suffer as they only display one line of information per header - as opposed to the two lines (subject and sender) common on handsets with better screens. Alas, there are always tradeoffs to be made when trying to combine form and function.

Though small, the external display is quite handy. The screen shows a scaled-down view of the internal display during standby mode, providing time, network status, and messaging info along with whatever wallpaper image is currently in use. Relative to its reduced size and resolution, images displayed on the external screen are crisp and clear. The external display also doubles as a viewfinder for the camera, allowing for photo and video taking while the phone is closed, and it also displays current track and playlist information when the handset is being used as a music player. I particularly like this last feature, as it - combined with the phone's externally-mounted buttons - lets the user select and listen to music without having to open the phone up.

Audio
Call quality on the K1 was excellent. The quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM radio performed well on T-Mobile's network in the San Francisco Bay Area, pulling in reception and carrying calls as well as any other phone I've tried. Voices were clear and loud and callers reported no trouble hearing me on the other end.

Quality was also good, if not outstanding, using the built-in speakerphone. Somewhat strangely for a top-of-the-line phone, the K1 did not come packaged with any sort of hands-free headset. While compatible stereo headphones with an in-line microphone are available from Motorola, no mention of them was made in the "MOTOmanual" packed in the box (wireless solutions were mentioned). As a single mini-USB connector is the only accessory port to be found on the K1, a wired headset cannot be used while the phone is also charging or connected via USB to a PC.

The manual does include instructions for pairing the K1 with a Bluetooth headset, and A2DP stereo Bluetooth is supported. Apparently Motorola plans to promote the use of its wireless stereo headphones with the KRZR, which seems appropriate enough given its futuristic styling. I tried the phone with a (mono) Bluetooth headset, and it paired easily, yielding good audio.

The built-in audio player worked fairly well, though its features are rudimentary when compared to the more advanced music players found on current Nokia and Sony Ericsson handsets. Track titles were displayed, but the phone was unable to read artist information from either AAC or MP3 files I'd encoded using iTunes software on my computer. I experienced lags when switching between tracks, and while playlists are supported, overall music management features are minimal at best. Audio quality was decent, relatively speaking, over the built-in speaker. As no headset was included with the K1, I could not test the quality of stereo audio playback

Messaging
Messaging features on the K1 are standard, if pretty comprehensive. The phone supports SMS, MMS, and Email but not IM. Messages can be stored to a SIM card and also transferred via Bluetooth to compatible computers and printers.

The built-in Email client supports POP3 and IMAP4 protocols, and while the low-resolution screen doesn't make for easy scrolling through loaded Inboxes or lengthy messages, the client works simply and effectively. Motorola's enhanced predictive text input system works quite well (though pressing the right directional key can be tricky if you have big thumbs) and practiced mobile messengers should have no problems using the K1 to write acronym-laden SMSs with one hand. "KRZR" and "K1" are, of course, already in the phone's dictionary.

While a smartphone would be the mobile communicator of choice for the businessperson who needs "always-on connectivity," the KRZR's messaging and Email capabilities are better suited to someone who occasionally needs to field a few messages on the go, but is happy to wait until returning to a PC to fully manage his Inbox.

Internet
Similar to its messaging capabilities, the K1 is a functional but not spectacular Internet client. While Verizon is selling their K1m with VCast broadband service support installed, the unbranded GSM K1 features a standard WAP browser that I easily configured to work with T-Mobile's TZones service.

The K1 did well with basic WAP websites as well as navigating the largely text-based TZones site. Again, simple information retrieval works well on the K1's smallish screen and standard keypad. If you need to look up the occasional movie time, restaurant address, or sports score, the KRZR will do you just fine. Extreme users in search of full HTML browsing, on the other hand, should perhaps look elsewhere in Motorola's lineup - say in the direction of the Linux-based MING A1200.

Connectivity
Motorola built the GSM K1 with support for class 12 EDGE high-speed cellular data transfer. The phone also features a single mini-USB port for file transfers and syncing with a PC via an optional data cable.

Bluetooth includes support for mono and stereo audio devices as well as file transfer and syncing with other devices. I had no trouble pairing the K1 with a mono headset or my computer, though I did not have access to a stereo Bluetooth headset for this reveiw. Note that the Alltel and Verizon-branded K1m models have limited Bluetooth support - as of my writing this, Verizon was supporting headset and image transfer, but not full file transfer (i.e. You can't install your own ringtones via Bluetooth).

The K1 also has a microSD removable memory card slot tucked in behind the back panel and literally on top of the SIM card slot. No microSD card shipped with my K1, but the phone recognized a 1GB card I installed in it, and was able to read music and image files I'd transferred from my computer.

Conclusion
Motorola's K1 KRZR is a looks-first mobile phone with a solid, mid-to-upper end feature set. While the unbranded GSM version of phone lacks the advanced messaging, Email, and media player functionality found in phones currently available at the same price point, a 2MP camera and support for stereo Bluetooth, EDGE, and basic Email and WAP browsing keep the KRZR competitive when it comes to tech specs.

-:- montazer -:-
..Think Better..Think Bigger..
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-10 00:52
When I got this phone I loved everything about it, I've had it about a month now.

Recently though the newness seems to have worn off, well it wore off around the time my joystick starting playing. This is a very annoying thing, to make it work I have to blow into it to clear what I presume is dust. But for a phone thats a month old its unacceptable!

Other than that its a great phone, I just wish it had Symbian and WIFI.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi