Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > using gprs phone as modem for internet on a computer

Previous  12
Author using gprs phone as modem for internet on a computer
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-06-01 16:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
For over a month now I am using the Vodafone GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA flatrate for 49.30€ per month (5GB), available here in Germany. As I am waiting for my P990 I just can use my P910 at the moment and that means GPRS only. Actually you can get used to the slow speed cause everywhere internet access without any cables (using Bluetooth for modem connection with the laptop) really makes up for it.
BUT I have a very annoying problem: When I download something (especially when more than 2MB) or even during normal surfing the GPRS connection terminates very often. Even more strange is that it not only terminates, but often the P910 crashes (same happens with T68 and T610). It is not the reception (is at maximum) and all settings are fine as well I think. Vodafone tries to figure out the problem as they say it should work but I have not heard from them for over a week now.
I were greatful for any suggestions to solve this problem...
If V cannot fix it I will have to go back to landline and DSL which were really unconvenient and in my case also much more expensive as I live in two different flats and that means I would need two DSL connections which is more expensive than only the mobile.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-06-02 15:50
@Consumology

That's an odd problem, never struck that before. Both Z600 and K700i, Bluetooth dongle, XP SP2 and VFNZ network all performed flawlessly - it was VFNZ's human component that couldn't cope in my case...
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
tookool
Z600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-06-08 17:56
Please, I will like to know if the laptop will detect the phone automatically when connected and what are settings which I will have to pass through before its detects the connection. Phone now the my carrier and my cheap Z600 are my making me go on stopable especially with my wap database.
Angelgirl
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-06-09 12:23
Hi tookool why not pay a visit to the Proudly Nigerian Forum , for more assistance from Nigerian GSM users, Click the link below;

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=70823&start=6165

cheers
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-06-16 04:20
QUestion: when you use GPRS, what appears on the phone? I mean... the *99# gets dialed and so the calling screen (with time on air, etc) appears; or just the "blue-squared-antenna-GPRS-gauge" get's on (such as when browsing from the phon)?

I got scared because I user said the "they were charged as a normal call..." how come! Am i no connecting AS THE SAME as when I browse from the phone; only that the data I receive is 'gatewayed' to the notebook / palm / whatever?

Thanks.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-06-17 13:09
When using Z600 as bluetooth modem, on the small outer screen, a globe symbol appears. When using the expensive WAP option, the dialled number is displayed.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-06-18 09:44
Looks like Vodafone plan to take their internet services further:

"Laptops with built-in 3G Broadband from Vodafone give you fast, reliable and seamless mobile data connectivity from your laptop. We’re partnering with leading laptop manufacturers to build this new business essential into the latest laptops – a simple, user-friendly, cost-effective, and secure way for you to stay connected on the move."
More info...

IBM Thinkpad with Built-in 3G broadband
The 3G specs are:

Wireless Networking Components
Wireless speed 11a:54Mbps, 11b:11Mbps, 11g:54Mbps, Bluetooth: 1Mbps;1.8 Mbps, 384 Kbps
Wireless Networking Components 1
Wireless Standard[10] Bluetooth
Wireless Type PAN
Description Bluetooth
Frequency Bluetooth:2.4GHz
Wireless Implementation (Form Factor) Integrated
Wireless Networking Components 2
Wireless Standard[10] Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Wireless Type LAN
Antenna Ultra Connect
Description Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Frequency 802.11:2.4 to 5 GHz
Wireless Implementation (Form Factor) Mini-PCIe
Wireless Networking Components 3
Wireless Standard[10] WCDMA, HSDPA
Wireless Type WAN
Antenna Ultra Connect
Description Sierra Wireless MC8755 PCI Express MiniCard
Frequency 800MHz/900MHz/1800MHz/1900MHz/2100MHz
Wireless Implementation (Form Factor) Mini-PCIe

Dell and Acer are also on board with this.

And there's also a Wireless Router with 3G:

Vodafone, Linksys and Cisco Systems have come together globally to develop the 3G/UMTS Router, a new product that provides high-speed mobile data connectivity for teams working on the move. It enables teams of up to five people to use the wireless LAN capability already built into most laptop computers to access high-speed mobile data services provided by Vodafone's 3G network.More info...

Anyone using these products? I just happened upon them tonight while browsing the local Voda website.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi