Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > at&t in the us and smtp....

Author at&t in the us and smtp....
fast_trak
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-12 07:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
...any ideas? Can't get outgoing smtp to work (is that redundant?)...anyone with AT&T talked to them yet?

mMode email is really weak if that's the only option...
shawnmccall9
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-10-12 19:42
I used to have ATT, I cancelled it because it did suck, I think that someone had posted the settings using imap rather than pop3 and smtp. Maybe try the search function
rentboi
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-13 08:13
fast_trak: I got SMTP working with my pop3 account (send and receive). Relevant settings are listed below; you'll be asked to set these when adding a new mail account via: Main Menu-2-4-7-2-Add New.

Data Account: AWS Data
Protocaol: POP3
Incoming Server/Port: Check with your mail provider
Mailbox/password: your email login/pswd
Outgoing Server/Port: Check with your mail provider
Email address: your email

After you add this, check the settings for your AWS Data account via: Main Menu-8-6-1-AWSData-1. You shouldn't have anything set for most of the fields. I have "..." for both IP address and DNS address.

Hope this helps!

-alex

cparekh
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-18 22:03
Here's the problem with using SMTP with most servers. SMTP usually requires password authorization if you access it from outside their network, so that they do not provide open relay (i.e. spammers cannot use their server to send mail through). The T68i does not have an option to supply password for mail upload. They allow POP3 download authorization, just not upload.

The solution is to use your own POP3 server, whatever that may be, and use the AT&T IMAP server to upload. Then set your reply to address to your regular email rather than the username@mobile.attwireless.com email address. There is one caveat, your username and password need to be the same, so when you sign up for the AT&T Wireless email (included with mMode service) you need to choose a username and password that is the same as your current email username and password. Since you are on the AT&T Wireless network when you use GPRS, you do not need to authenicate, and the mail will work.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

[ This Message was edited by: cparekh on 2002-10-18 21:03 ]
fast_trak
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-18 22:15
thanks charlie. i will give that a try and let you know how it works out. i really appreciate the thorough reply.
eagle11769
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-21 15:00
Can we use outlook on our computer to get and send mmode email? Ive tried to put the proper settings in but no go. I was just wondering if it is possible.
Thanks

Charlie Brown
westside Slacker
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-21 18:59
As of right now there is no way to send and/or receive mMode mail from POP3 or IMAP programs. For right now mMode mail is only acessable through the phone or personal web site you get. I heard there are talks to get the mail acessable through POP3 programs, but there is no timeframe when that will happen.
Tdevinney
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-24 08:39
first... where do i go to sign up for the mmode mail that is free with my mode package?

next, what did you end up finding for the smtp address for at&t?

thanks, a very very frustrated T68i user.

Thomas
tjdmobile
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-10-25 20:53
I have mine set up to SMTP.attwireless.net. Works real fine for me. Only thing I have noticed when using mail on my phone itself, the ATTWS (mmode) email account adds a LOT of extra header information into the front of the message. My other POP accounts dont. Unknown fix?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi