Esato

Forum > General discussions > Announcements > 3 are switching from using 02 to Orange

Author 3 are switching from using 02 to Orange
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 09:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
3 UK Switches 2G Roaming Contract

Hutchison 3G UK has swapped its existing GSM roaming agreement in the UK with O2 for rival operator, Orange. The new agreement follows the completion of an auction for 3's national roaming business. Hutch says that Orange tendered the most competitive bid for the supply of voice, text and data services and has been selected as the preferred national roaming provider for 3 from the end of 2006.

The 3 network provides coverage for voice, text and 3G mobile media services to 88% of the UK population and the new agreement with Orange, which has 99% coverage for voice and text services, will ensure 3 customers continue to enjoy national coverage.

3 customers will continue to roam on O2, the current provider of national roaming to 3, until the transition phase commences in late 2006. Following the transition phase existing customers' handsets will select the Orange network in preference to O2, although they will still be able to roam onto O2. Going forward into 2007 all new customers will only roam onto the Orange network.

Bob Fuller, CEO 3 UK said: "Following a thorough and competitive process over the last eighteen months, I'm very pleased to announce that 3 has a new national roaming partner in the UK. It was important we had a competitive tender and I am delighted with the outcome of the process. This is a good agreement for both 3 and Orange and will ensure that we continue to offer a great service to our customers."

Bernard Ghillebaert, Executive Vice-President of Orange UK said: "The Orange network is renowned as one of the most robust and reliable networks in the UK and it makes commercial sense for us to utilise this asset within the wholesale market. We will continue to offer the highest levels of network reliability and service to all of our 15million customers and look forward to a fruitful relationship with 3."

The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/17333.php

fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 20:10
WHAT??

that sucks....

How can a company that sold Orange UK the less than 10 years later being able to use Orange UK as a network??

me very confused.

fatreg
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 20:59
Well I think Orange need to money.

They now have the capacity as every one is going to o2, three or t-mobile. So it leaves a lot of spare capacity !!
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 21:13
now now darren...

lets not start a flame war!

i just fail to see how you can use a company you sold less than 10 years ago?

i thought Hutchinson signed somekind of contract saying they would never open a competitior to orange UK when they sold it?

fatreg
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 23:48
Sorry Fatreg but i think Darren actually is correct in the early days Orange had the best Network and customer services. Ever since it was sold and then Hans Snook left it has only gone in one direction and that's not up, they used to come out top of the JD Power survey every year now they are nowhere. I used to be a loyal Orange customer until my purchase of my P900 from them and the lies i was told resulted in me getting a refund and cancellation of my contract after only two months as i had to threaten to sue them they suck big time now and i will never be an Orange customer again this is also the experience of many people i know thank goodness for inclusive xnet minutes.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2006-05-11 22:49 ]
mob453
K770 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-12 00:14
Quote:

On 2006-05-11 21:13:48, fatreg wrote:
now now darren...

lets not start a flame war!

i just fail to see how you can use a company you sold less than 10 years ago?

i thought Hutchinson signed somekind of contract saying they would never open a competitior to orange UK when they sold it?

fatreg

3 are changing roaming partner since the o2 court case.

3 auctioned the roaming deal and orange won it.

Orange get paid for every 3 customer using their 2g network when not in 3g coverage.

The roaming starts in 2007,

The hutchinson contract , as far as I understand, was that they would never open a 2g competitor to orange in the uk, which is why 3 the 3g only network was launched.

Orange have a greater 2g capacity network than o2, Orange have Edge.
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-05-12 00:43
I would never want to start a flame war with any one.

But it does mak you wonder, 10 years ago Orange was sold, now Hutchinson are going to start using the service.

I just hope that it doesnt have an effect on the Orange network like at busy times.

Im a Loyal Orange customer. But i have just upgraded my phone recenlty and had real major problems with customer care and how i was spoken to.

I told them that i dont want a 18 month contract and why do they keep insting that people go on them and i certainly dont want a Animal Tarriff.

Response: Well if thats my attitude I dont want to speak to you!!

My Attitude. Im sick of them thinking that they are some sort of high and mighty.

The Saying is Bigger they are, The harder they fall !!

Any way i have now transfered 1 of my contracts to 02 and got a Nokia N80 which i luv.

When i told them i was leaving with my main contract i was put through to some one else and because i spend alot on this contract i was offered all sorts.

Mins, Text, Wap, Phone, Bluetooth headset, Credit, 3g mins and a 12 month contract.

So i kept that one. my bill was also cut by 50% so i was even happier.

And i didnt get a Animal Tarriff (Nice chap too)

But why should it have made a difference because i spend more on one contract than the other ?

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-12 07:43
That's it Orange believe what ever they say is right irrespective of the facts and unless you are a premium customer which they then make a big deal of all the services they give you you just don't count. The service they make a big deal of for customers on premium tariffs was what made Orange the leaders they were and was available to all customers. OK end of rant and yes i will confess i do hate Orange even though in the past i supported them and have connected hundreds if not thousands of phones to them in the past.

Marc
slugworth
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-26 17:40
Virgin mobile all the way
S500i 4GB M2
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2006-08-27 01:39
get out of here..

virgin my arse..

just cuz the first MVNO. doesnt make them any good...

fatreg

slugworth
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-29 01:57
virgin are good they gave me a contract lol (bad credit)
S500i 4GB M2
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-29 02:14
isn't orange UK using an ericsson network?
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
djtwistter
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-29 02:14
they r just stupid
zakc
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-29 03:08
Orange have gone down hill IMO.
I terminated my five year old orange account two months ago.
When i first joined myself and my family championed them to all we knew.
And we built up a good relationship with the local retail store but since March 2005 we'd begun our transition to vodafone.
Ok so they're not the cheapest available, but their customer service has been excellent.
My brother isn't so happy with it as he didn't understand the data side of his contract till half way through but even he admits that they're pretty damn good.

Anyway back to topic; yeah i'd heard that there was going to be a move from o2 to someone else for 3 but i thought it was gonna be to t-mobile or something. I hope for the sake of customers that it's only an improvment.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi