Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Mini-review of Jabra BT100

Author Mini-review of Jabra BT100
escobar
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-03 01:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi!

Ahhh.. It's good to be back. After being away for almost 4 months, I'm back again for full. I've been on the move and have not had the time to use the internet like I used to before. So if anyone here remember me at all, I'm back baby!

Now to something completly different. Hope you enjoy my small and highly biased review:

I just bought a very cheap Jabra BT100 Bluetooth headset, and would like to share my opinions on it with all of you. I also own a HBH-15, so my experience is quite limited when it comes to BT-headsets. I've tried the Motorola headset, and also HBH-20 and HBH30, but not over long periods of time

The headset looks like this:

It's much smaller than I initially thought when looking at the picture on the box. It weighs 26 grams, the standby-time is aprox. 80 hours (flip-boom open), two weeks (flip-boom closed) and the talktime is aprox. 3 hours. Not as long as the "not so infamous" BlueSpoon, and also quite less than HBH15/HBH30. But I don't think it's fair to compare it to the BlueSpoon, as it's much more expensive.

It looks a lot like the Motorola Bluetooth Headset (which I've heared also is produced by Jabra), but smaller. It has the same flip-boom microphone as the Motorola, and I personally find this as an ingineous feature. Because when I'm not using my Jabra, I fold it and slip it into my pocket. When my phone rings, I just pick up the headset, flip out the boom and the headset answers the call automaticly. My HBH-15 headset did not work this way, as it had to be turned on whenever I used it, and if my phone rang and it was off, the time it used to power on was to slow for answering the call. The good thing about being able to have the headset off whenever not in use, is that the battery-life becomes very good (a lot better than the 80 hours, only talk-time sets the limit for usable time with the head-set). The bad thing is that my SE T68i does not work in automatic mode, because the phone will not find the headset since it's not turned on when a call is recieved, before I flip the boom. And even if I flip the boom, the phone doesn't find the headset. So the phone's bluetooth-mode has to be set to "on" for this to work, which takes a hit on the battery-life of the phone. For me that's not a problem as I use my Palm M515 and an sd bluetooth-card togheter with my phone, and therefore keep the bluetooth-mode "on" anyway.

Sound-quality is good, and I have not had the same problems in windy conditions as with the HBH-15 and no echoes when using it. The volume is lower than the HBH-15, but louder than the Motorola headset (which I found unusable when driving). And the sound is a bit clearer than the HBH-15, but not as good as the HBH-30 I tried

The range is not really 10 meters at all, the sound usually get distorted after aprox. 5-6 meters from the phone. I use the head-set mostly in my car, and I don't have a problem there as the phone is nearby. The great thing about this headset is that it comes with both the usual ac-adaptor for power-outlets and also a car-charger. I'm really satisfied with the ability to charge my headset in my car, without having to buy an expensive charger. Sony Ericsson, are you listening?

Voice-dialling works fine, and unlike the headsets from Sony Ericsson or Motorola, the voice-dialing also works with phones from Nokia.

The good points about it is the battery-life if you don't walk around with the flip boom open all day long, but only turn the thing on when recieving or making calls. The talk-time is more than adequate. The bad points are low volume, short talk-time compared to the more expensive headsets from Sony Ericsson and the BlueSpoon. It has replaced my HBH-15 as my daily driver, and I'm going the sell the Ericsson headset soon. As a budget alternative (at least for the price I paid), I must say that this headset presents exceptionally good value. But hey, I would take a BlueSpoon over this any day, I just don't feel like spending that much money on a BT headset at this time. But for those who do, more power to you!!!

This review is of course totally subjective, and I have to be positive since I bought the thing Nah, I m only kidding!

-Esco-
Owner of Sony Ericsson T68i
Law-student & sales-man

[ This Message was edited by: escobar on 2002-10-03 00:31 ]
[C]yNo$
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 07:46
errm .. how much did you pay for ? and where can i get it ?
Johan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 08:00
Too bad its so ugly though.

SonyErcssons new BT-headset looks really nice according to me... but who knows, the functions maybe sucks
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 08:05
escobar...

hi! u can put the T68i bt to automatic mode... so when somebody calls, the hbh-30 can be used w/o touching the phone anymore. (after pairing it)
yapliren
K750
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 08:39
ya .. this thing cost how much ?
escobar
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-03 11:15

The price I paid was aprox 140 EUR, which for me was an ok price!

619 -> Yeah, I know that both the HBH-10, HBH-15 and HBH-30 can be used with bluetooth in automatic mode when in use. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my review. What I was trying to point out that was that automatic mode does not work in conjunction with automatic mode if the flip boom is closed.

I think it looks allright. The design is maybe not the best, but I'll take functionality over design any day! Have to take a look at the new SE headset when it comes out, and see if I should switch!
I'm just not a signature kind of guy..
orang3
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-03 11:44
@ 140 .. with ard 20 - 30 more dollars i can get the HBH 30 ..
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you
escobar
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-03 21:50
I can get a HBH-30 for the excact same price as the Jabra, so I don't know why you're laughing!

I allready have the HBH-15, so why do I need another headset that is not pocket-able at all (try sitting down with the HBH-15/30 in your pocket), and almost the same size, only slimmer. Ok, the battery-life is better, but FOR ME size is more important.

As I said, this headset suits ME better than either the HBH-15, HBH-30 or any other headset, and the price is right. You may laugh, but it's all subjective meanings! I'm not you (wouldn't that be weird, me being you, and you being me and both of us the same?)

(And yes, I'm pretending to be angry because of you laughing at me)

-Esco-
Owner of Sony Ericsson T68i
Law-student & sales-man

[ This Message was edited by: escobar on 2002-10-03 20:51 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi