Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > New to Esato? Please read this forum first > GPRS

Author GPRS
cooperdude
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 14:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I just got my phone at the weekend, connected to Orange. The only thing I think I know about GPRS is that it stands for General Packet Radio System, but that's probably wrong. Anyway, the salesman failed to explain it to me at all. I know it means data sent to and from the phone is charged per data unit but what else can it do for me? Does it mean I am charged for the size of MMS messages as well? And how does it work? Is it automatically setup, or do I have to do anything? The reason I ask is because when I have used WAP it tells me the length of call, and I would've thought that was irrelevent if that isn't how I'm charged. Apologies if this has already been answered.
Chris
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 14:46
GPRS: General Packet Radio Services.
Stay on line all the time.
Pay for what you download.
Quite simple actually. Connect to the GPRS network,stay on line for as long as you like. You have the GPRS as a seperate "line" to your phone, meaning; you can recieve a call whilst "surfing".
What you pay for is what you download, like entering a new topic on Esato WAP. Beasically when the content on the screen changes after you pressed "next".
It's a bit quicker than WAP but generally it has the same features.
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
Cytech
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 14:53

two way of using WAP:

- via GSM: you pay as an ordinary call, per minute
- via GPRS: you pay only for the data you send/recieve

you can often get the GPRS settings automatically through you operator... check their website

How the MMS are charged can be different depending on the operator. But most network providers will probably have a cost for a MMS upto a certain size (for example: Vodafone in Sweden will take 4.80SEK for a MMS of max 30kB)
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-02 18:02
Mms are sent via gprs but are charged @ 40p per message unless u have a photo bundle-ring 156 for info

This post was posted from a T68

georgied
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 12:56
I don't have GPRS enabled on my phone yet, mulling the costs...
But want to try out MMS, is it possible to send MMS over WAP?

[ This Message was edited by: georgied on 2002-10-03 12:00 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi