Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson M600

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 909192  Next
Author Sony Ericsson M600
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-07 00:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
wifi makes the phone too big - I guess they had to decide between either wifi or umts (both offering the broadband speed necessary for full email and internet use). UMTS is more versatile due to coverage - wifi is still sparsely distributed, whereas UMTS in countries that have it is almost as good as GSM, atleast in metro areas.
dr_thug
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 00:45
Quote:

On 2006-02-06 22:14:21, DevilHell wrote:

The phone seems unfinished:

What is this rectangular area above keypad? It would be ideal for D-pad but it has jog-dail already????

in the black version,"M600" is written there.

this phone seems to be made stictly for corporate monkeys.
i agree with super g that some companies dont want a camera in their office...but cant they even have the luxury to atleast enjoy some music in their free time??
i didnt like the keypad arrangement either.and wats wih the blue line on the fron,back etc??wats it for??
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 00:46
As a business owner, this is the EXACT phone I want my staff and I to use...
BUT I would have liked it to have WIFI.
All things considered, I think this is what we will get though.
bodhi_up
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 01:11
It is very simple why WiFi is not part of the package.... Think about this: When do you use Wifi? At home and in the office and sometimes in a public place... all these places have GSM(GPRS) or UMTS coverage... there fore to use the email functions (which is the main aim of this sort of device) is perfect over GPRS or UMTS...It is hard enought to have a device configured to receve via GSM and UMTS and then when linked to the office pc via the usb cable through the pc internet link. There is no added advantage for WiFi... you are not going to use the device for heavy browsing or download huge files. Plus most operators are now giving GPRS or 3G at a flat price (to convince more to use data over 3G networks) so WiFi as cost saver is not revelant.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-07 01:19
precisely. Wifi coverage is not there, and the cost advantage is fast disappearing, so 9in a choice between the two (umts and wifi) it's rather obvious which they will use.
alandigby
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 01:54
Does anybody know what support this phone will have for video formats? Hopefully more than just .3gp
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-07 02:19
Just a few thoughts & replys to comments.

WiFi was specifically not included in the M600 because it would entirely canabilize sales of the P990i & because device thickness (chipset & antennae) would be thicker than 15mm considerably. But on its usefulness is paramount over 3G. Coverage should be for most places the same as 3G; saying where most use it isnt relevant because only in the last 8 months has it been available on phones which will now become prevailant on high end smartphones.

WiFi is accessible in most decent Hotels (not the cheap motels you take a quicky too after the rave), Airports (international ones), Stadiums, major Malls (not plaza's) and in most downtown cores where a huge Fashion/Shopping district is determined by the city.

In the USA its huge even McDonalds' has a partnership with Nintendo for their WiFi Nintendo Connect for the DS gaming handheld; although not WiFi generic this shows that other future contracts will be placed.

In Canada, All our cellular providers have binding mutual ownership contracts amongs each other (Rogers, Telus, Fido, Bell) with HotSpots at coffee brand stores (like Starbucks). Man HotSpots was big in Germany & the rest of Europe at least what the news publicizes. Tell me this ain't true?! The high speed train services in France have already offered HighSpeed WiFi amongst trains - linking 802.11b/g with WiMax connections.

All in All I agree with Max, that the M600 is more focused for business but with corporations that cannot afford security with the P990is builtin camera. M600 though has a memory slot and PC Sync software for transfering files. Government divisions depending on security awareness & level may even reject the M600.

I have no interest in the M600 - I see it fills a specific market need but I wouldnt touch it.

SE you shouldnt have delayed the P990i for this?!! Shame on you!
stevemiddie
D750
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 02:39
"WiFi is accessible in most decent Hotels (not the cheap motels you take a quicky too after the rave), Airports (international ones), Stadiums, major Malls (not plaza's) and in most downtown cores where a huge Fashion/Shopping district is determined by the city. "

To sum up then.......places where we would rather be left alone in piece and quiet so we can ogle all the pretty Flight staff.
First ever SE and chuffed to bits But i still love my 8890
mcrosser
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 02:51
Hey it has USB 2.0 mass storage FULL SPEED = 12 Mbps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very nice, not like the previous USB 2.0 where you got around 10% of the supposed speed.

AVAILABLE - advertise here!!
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 03:30
For a strict business phone, I think SE has a hit on their hands. I like this. Not for me the media type but it does suit many others.
My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
chriswg85
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 03:41
Quote:

On 2006-02-06 22:14:21, DevilHell wrote:

The phone seems unfinished:

What is this rectangular area above keypad? It would be ideal for D-pad but it has jog-dail already????

I agree about the unfinished part. The phone just comes across as really cheap. It still looks like some early prototype. That square is just in the wrong place and even with the M600 logo, it looks wrong. It makes the P990 seem so amazing by comparison in my opinion. Hopefully the actual phone in person would seem better. Just my two cents...
EastCoastStar
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 04:07
OMG what have i missed when ive been gone sick?!?!?!?

but omg omg omg omg omg holy CRAP this would be my phone!!!! they need to make a M600a for america with the 850 band!!!! if they do, i will be ALLLL over it!!

some of you know, i liek the treos becuase of the onboard keyboard. but holy crap, if this had the 850 band, i would have this in a second, i love the looks, seems GREAT!!!!

edit: i didnt even notice it had no cam, but i dont mind that much. and WIFI, i could care less as long as i have a data cable for it, and it had EDGE

[ This Message was edited by: eastcoaststar on 2006-02-07 03:14 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 06:52
what is the size and weight of this phone!!. Anyone??

SE only give the thickness and nothing else. Maybe it is as heavy as the P990. haha.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 07:42
abt the keys....i guess....its like this
eg.in the no.key '1'.'e' is to the left and 'r' is to the right and '1' in the mid....so i guess the keys r big enough so tht v can press the left side for 'e' ,the right side fo 'r' and the mid for '1'....
........jst an idea....

again theres only 3 way jog dail rite???....damn i love the 5 way jog dail...

Ranjith

I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-07 08:57
Quote:

On 2006-02-07 07:42:22, Ranjith wrote:
abt the keys....i guess....its like this
eg.in the no.key '1'.'e' is to the left and 'r' is to the right and '1' in the mid....so i guess the keys r big enough so tht v can press the left side for 'e' ,the right side fo 'r' and the mid for '1'....
........jst an idea....

again theres only 3 way jog dail rite???....damn i love the 5 way jog dail...

Ranjith

It will be a nightmare to use it like that buddy, why they did not inplement a full "qwerty" keypad is beyond my comprehenssion also no wifi I hope it will be ways cheaper than the E61, otherwise . . .
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 909192  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic