Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 909192  Next
Author Sony Ericsson M600
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 03:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
daz, I have to disagree about 2MP digital cameras in phones being a gimick

Not every phone needs a camera it's true, but if you do want to have a camera handy at all times it's briliant - and the K750 2MP cam (or p990) takes perfectly useable photos that can be printed up to 8x10 no worries at all. Perhaps you haven't seen any of the picture threads?
xerx
X2 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 05:22

still the P990 for me hehe
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 05:58
Yes the M600 has its place; even though I'm not interested in it. There's still a market for it clearly.

But if pricing is the same and given a choice 7/10 my estimate, public consumers with their voting dollars would choice the P990i -> especially those roaming out of EuroAsia. Why .... simple WiFi.

WiFi is more abundant in other countries other than UK, France, Isreal as more channels are available. And WiFi can span 120 Meters in open air ... and real world from out of a steel frame new house up to 90meters. There is an abundant of open, non-fee, WiFi hotspots in Canadian & US major cities .... a PRIME example is Seattle WA; where ANYWHERE you go you can connect, while communiting and get handed off to another WiFi AP while you surf.

Why am I toting WiFi? 3G outtages happen more often than you think. multiple hand-offs is very real when spanning more than 7 towers just like when ur on a GPRS network only (remember MS PURGE?!!). WiFi, if a network is setup correctly can handle this smoothly even with 802.11g. And if you roam with your M600 out of Europe, then bye-bye 3G in the only band it offers. Sure BB's do very well with GPRS speeds, so by no means should the M600 falter without 3G. All I'm saying is at least offer it a 1900Mhz UMTS radio for North & South America to strengthen its appeal where the p990i doesnt have that support in 3G. OPTIONS is what I'm saying thats all.

Glad that SE is giving us that .... bravo!

PS Anyone curious to know the codename or what the design of an SE UIQ non-touch-screen s60 fighter will look like?!!
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 08:09
Quote:

On 2006-02-09 01:02:01, max_wedge wrote:
And all youse complaining about lack of wifi - sheesh! It's not a big deal. For you maybe, but think about it - 3G services are virtually broadband speed anyway, so a little extra speed of wifi won't make any difference since you are using the interent over wifi not telephony services.

So if you had to have only one form of high speed data connectivity, which one is more widespread, 3G or wifi? To have both and the phone is suddenly two fat to compete with traditional push email phones like the blackberry (push email services are very successful even though the phones they use often don't even have 3G, and certainly not wifi or cameras)
As far as cost of wifi goes, well once capped data plans for 3G becomes common then everyone will be able to afford as much 3G data as they like and the fact wifi is free won't matter. And no businessman is going to hunt around for a free wifi bubble to save a few bucks, when they have a permanent access to 3G data without any hassle.

So what do you get if you add wifi and a camera to an M600 anyway?

A little extra speed?
3G: 384kbps here
WiFi: 54Mbps for 802.11g like E61 supports
Do the maths...
As I said, the lack of WiFi is likely due to not willing to compete directly with P990i.

Also your price reasoning is not making sense. 3G is yet to make a real breakthrough (we are already in 2006...) and I think is a failure altogether despite what big companies are saying to save their faces. WiFi is here and virtually in every single country. And its mostly free.

[Edit: WiFi also allows for free/cheaaap VoIP calls. E61 does this too ]

Btw this was posted from E61

[ This Message was edited by: Super G on 2006-02-09 08:55 ]
YEOPK
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 08:38
Hmmmm......Memory seems to be on the low side.
david1975
Z530 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 08:45
dont you lot go on eh always complianing wonder if anyone will ever be happy eh oh well
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 09:56
@david1975

I like the looks of the M600. I think it looks great.
But, it has serious flaws for business/corporate users. Pity
sbellon
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 10:05
I don't see the flaws you all are seeing. No camera is definitely a plus for the business user and not a flaw. Concerning wifi I have no strong feelings. I haven't used wifi in the past, so I don't even know what I am missing. A few posts I mentioned a few things that are not mentioned on the M600 web site but are on the P990 web site. I think those are more of a pity:

* picture phone book
* document reader
* fully functional internet
* voice dialing

The first would not really be a big problem, the second could be fixed by third party companies. However the third and fourth would really be flaws for business users if it's really true that those are missing from the M600 (which I can't believe, to be honest).

[ This Message was edited by: sbellon on 2006-02-09 09:06 ]
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 10:59
@sbellon

Yes, I fully agree with you that no camera is a plus for business users, as I mentoned previously
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 11:34
Quote:

On 2006-02-09 10:05:54, sbellon wrote:

* picture phone book
* document reader
* fully functional internet
* voice dialing

The first would not really be a big problem, the second could be fixed by third party companies. However the third and fourth would really be flaws for business users if it's really true that those are missing from the M600 (which I can't believe, to be honest).

[ This Message was edited by: sbellon on 2006-02-09 09:06 ]

i think that picture phonebooks and voice dialling are so basic and have been in just about all ericsson/SE phones for ages now that they no longer need to be spelled out in the spec sheets. voice dialing should be a given especially since the phone has a sound recorder.

as for the document reader, the spec sheet lists a Document Editor so that solves that. if the P-Series phones are anything to go by, the M600 should have updated versions of quickword and quicksheet, or their equivalents.

and the M600 will definitely have fully functioning internet access. otherwise, it would be useless to have the Opera browser and an RSS reader on it.

i, for one, will definitely be getting the M600. aside from the sleek, minimalist design, i always wanted a smartphone WITHOUT a camera. aside from the fact that i am not a shutterbug at all, having a phone cam is a huge pain when you go to places where they are not allowed.

and as for wifi, i DON'T want it in my phone either. i already have it in my PDA, and judging by the way wifi sucks up my PDA's battery power like an american SUV, i sure as hell don't want it in my phone.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 11:55
I think you are reading the press releases too literally!
Of course the phone will bring everything the P990 will bring, if not even more!
(a good RSS reader would be nice)

About the Wi-Fi- versus 3G subject...
Do you think corporate users care if the wi-fi is free or not?
Their companies are paying their phones and phonecalls.
3G will be free for them too. Besides, in 1 year 3G will be much more widespread than is today.

It will be a great phone, you will see.
dazbradbury
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 14:12
Quote:

On 2006-02-09 03:16:23, max_wedge wrote:
daz, I have to disagree about 2MP digital cameras in phones being a gimick

Not every phone needs a camera it's true, but if you do want to have a camera handy at all times it's briliant - and the K750 2MP cam (or p990) takes perfectly useable photos that can be printed up to 8x10 no worries at all. Perhaps you haven't seen any of the picture threads?

I have a camera that is handy at all times, it's a sony n1, the thing is that it can actually be used as a camera. I can manually choose shutter speed, aperture size, and clearly a whole hot of other features. On top of that there is the fact that the lens is far superior, autofocusing is done far more accurately and efficiently. In fact, i don't see how a phone on a camera can be compared at all so i will stop there. If you are looking to take photo's that all look the same, and all look fairly rubbish, then a camera on a phone is probably perfect for you. I obviously think image quality, and the ability to be creative with photography is more important.
khan
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 15:44
why is SE so desperately trying to look like BLACKBERRY? d p990i without d flip looks like a BLACKBERRY

This message was posted from a Nokia

sbellon
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 18:07
Quote:

On 2006-02-09 11:55:39, _LAU_ wrote:
I think you are reading the press releases too literally!
[...]
It will be a great phone, you will see.

Yes, I hope so. I think already it's superior to the P990i for our company's needs.

But regarding the argument "fully internet connection has to be present as otherwise Opera and RSS would be useless", I don't buy it. There's a lot more to internet than just HTTP. I'd like to use a SSH client and an IRC client. I'd like to synchronize the time with an NTP server.

But I agree, as this is already possible with a P900, I can't imagine SE have stripped that away.

It _will_ be a great phone.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 18:09
because part of the blackberry license agreement states that to be able to use their software, the handset MUST provide a full QWERTY keyboard.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 909192  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic