Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > W800i memory stick problem

12  Next
Author W800i memory stick problem
ilmostro
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-22 16:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My W800i has suddenly developed a fault with the memory stick (the standard Sandisk 512mb one). It suddenly lost all the data stored on the memory stick. Thinking this might just be some glitch, I switched the phone off and back on, and it now refuses to start up - it displays the "Sony Ericsson" splash screen and the lights come on, and it remains that way indefinitely with none of the buttons having any effect.
BUT... if I remove the memory stick, it will start up and work normally. I've tried blowing any dust from the memory stick contacts but it makes no difference. Is it likely to be a fault with the memory stick (which until now has worked fine) or with the phone itself? And will Sony Ericsson replace memory sticks under warranty?
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-22 16:09
Try formatting it in your computer.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
whistla
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-22 16:29
I had this problem aswel........ just before the memory card stopped working all together! Just have it replaced by sandisk under warranty.
ilmostro
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-22 16:40
Good idea, unfortunately I haven't got a card reader for my PC.

I just found another thread about this though, seems its a common fault with the W800's so with a little luck I'll get a warranty replacement. Hustl£r, did you go via your phone company to make your warranty claim, or did you deal directly with SanDisk?

Cheers!
roumen68
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-24 16:45
Hi!

I have my W800i since several days. And found problems with the Sandisk memory too. Well, the memory wokrs anyway, but if for example I store 60 songs (standard mp3 / 128kbps) and later, when I switch off the usb cable from the phone and try to play the songs on the phone - there are no more than 20 songs left! And some of them are a mix of several different songs. Some songs begin with a part of the end of the previous song.

Is there any solution for this problem?

And after formatting the card, the free space is only 467 Mbs. Is it normal or not? Why they wrote "512Mb" then?

bbaev
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-01-24 16:48
rumene, ela w bylgarskia thread na esato tuk:
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=106603&start=300
Nokia N95 freak
Daf42
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 19:42
I have also had the same problem of songs disapearing, having got my W800 today. Is there a solution? Unfortunatly I cannot read bulgarian
spacehoppa
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-02 00:40
Ilmostero, I had exactly the same problem.

The phone lost all the data on the Memory stick, and the stick was inoperable and had to be replaced.

I was transfering files over the USB cable supplied with the phone, using windows explorer.

A windows dialouge signalled a problem
'Error Copying file of folder.
Cannot not copy DSC00303: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.'

Then a second message from windows
'Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save the date for the file \Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+7\DCIM\100MSDCF. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to sase this file elsewhere.'

Logical drive for the mass storeage device in windows no longer contained any files or folders. I could view the drive without error it just did not contain anything!

Sony Ericsson file manager said it was not connected before reconnecting and allowing the phones normal memeory to be viewed.

I stopped the USB connection in windows, disconnected the phone and shut the phone down.
The phone would no longer restart and stalled at the 'Sony Ericsson' title page.
The phone would only restart with the duo stick removed.
I reinstalled the memory stick but the phone reported the memory stick as not inserted.
When connected back to the computer, a logical drive for the memory stick was present but could not be accessed or formatted.
I tried to read the stick in a memory card reader but that did not work.

I returned to the Car Phone Warehouse in the UK and they replaced the memory card because the package was still within 28 days warrenty.

The phone still gives the error message sometimes when transferring files over the cable, but so far has not ruined the card again, or lost any data.

I'd be interested to hear if others have had this fault inorder to learn if this is a recurring problem.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, I upgraded the phone to R1AA008 a couple of weeks before his error via SEUSII.

[ This Message was edited by: spacehoppa on 2006-02-01 23:48 ]
spacehoppa
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-02 00:44
Roumen68, I have also seen the same problem you experienced.

MP3s on the memory stick would get mixed up with each other.
The mixed up tracks seem to be consistant, i.e. one track would always be interupted at exactly the same point. The interupting track would also come in at the same point, then break back to the original track.

Like as if the memory card was fragmented with the file fregments becomeing intertwined somehow.

I upgraded the phone to R1AA008 via SEUSII and haven't seen this problem again yet.
Daf42
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 13:24
I have stopped using the cable altogether and have been transfering files via bluetooth and havent had a problem since. I think its slightly slower over bluetooth, but atleast I dont have to repeat the operation 4 times!
unclegiblets
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-05 00:30
I've had a W800 4 months now, since day 1 it's had problems with MP3s. Disc 2 phone says the transfer's completed but nothing has been uploaded to the phone. Orange have been denying all responsibility, and had several excuses. Mostly they say it's down to SE to sort out. The latest software I can get from SE is R1NA005, but according to my network it should be 008 and this version "rectifies the problem". In any case, as I'm on a contract and they supplied the phone FOC it's the network's responsibility in UK law (defective goods supplied as part of a service regulations).

Has anyone else been able to download R1nA008? Has this corrected the problem? I've got 8000+ MP3's on my PC, all of which play fine on my Creative MP3 player & Mrs's iPod. It's taken me 4 very frustrating months to get 100 of them that will play on my phone. GRRRR! I've had a T28, T68i, T610, K700 and now this W800. Don't think I'll be getting another SE phone after this. The best phone for features they ever made, but the most flawed too.
Ac3R71J0
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 23:05
I have the same problem. Im in Argentina and the phone is not from here. Did someone solved the problem ? i want my memory stick back ! please help
bombadil
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-02-21 11:45
This might be a bit late in the day and I actually bought my phone after the last post, but I had the same problem of lost files during transfer and transferred files playing different music then they are supposed to. Luckily I didn't have any problems with my memory card. Since then I successfully upgraded my phone to the new firmware and haven't had any problems so if you guys are still having problems with file transfer etc, upgrade your firmware by hook or by crook ASAP!!
mith101
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-27 11:01
I have had my W800i simcard unlucked by a store but now I cannot update the software.
Anyone have experience how to work-around this problem?
seguy
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 07:34
Quote:

On 2006-02-27 11:01:43, mith101 wrote:
I have had my W800i simcard unlucked by a store but now I cannot update the software.
Anyone have experience how to work-around this problem?

What exactly is not working correctly when you try to update?

We need details.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi