Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Is my memory stick fake?

Previous  1234  Next
Author Is my memory stick fake?
drljames
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-12-04 10:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i read somewhere that the packaging with PSP on them do not come with the adaptor?
mad4mobiles
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-04 13:30
it could be... that the hong kong one is a very very very good copy and the uk on is a normal sony one making the copy the better one lol!!

A-Z of Trusted Traders Here!
mad4mobiles (+12, -0)
josh_watson
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-08 23:51
I'd say the same - I had a genuine UK sony one (bought from scan computers, so it should have been genuine!) - it didn't have a sticker on. One of my friends had one that I thought was fake. It was identical to mine, except the labelling was clearer, and it was all on stickers (like the HK one). This was a cheap eBay memory card.

So either the HK ones have stickers on, or fake ones have stickers on.

Either way, my genuine memory card fried itself, so I returned it and got a SanDisk one instead.
aff
W900 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-09 09:28
they're certainly different!
look at the one on the left in the 2nd last picture, the 2gb arrow is on the slant yet on the other one it is well away from the slant, and for some reason one of them is smaller!
drljames
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-12-17 20:51
check the packaging in my local Maplins. And all the 1GB sony sticks are in the 6 glue spot type packaging. Fake? Or just another type of packaging?
JwY
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2005-12-18 06:12
all the real ones i have seen are glued in complete streaks
rebirth.
sucka6
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-04 16:06
Yeah I bought a fake one of ebay. 1st clue is it doesnt fit into memory card slot correctly. You can just close the door and it will read ok but it pops back out sometimes. Otherwise it would appear it works ok. Also the pictures I saw of the real ones sold in Japan which mine is a copy of has 2 seals at the top also as well as seals going down the side. This one has 6 flimsy seals going down the side. Otherwise the packaging looks almost perfect although its hard to compare to pictures. I'm returning because if I just take a replacement which fits correctly it might still fail in a couple weeks.
1harperj
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-22 21:11
Well I have the exact same problem as you (Coxy). Try testing the speeds with a memory card reader. The one on the left should work at high speed and the one on the right is just a normal one, at least that's what happened for me.
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 01:52
im going too look to at mine. i think its fake
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 02:02
mine looks like the HK one.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 12:11
To be honest people, id like to give a reassuring bit of advice saying which is which, but i cannot.

I have various memory sticks, and i know none of them are fake because they either came from the manufacturers packaged with my phones (and PSP), or i bought them from repuatable dealers in the UK which are certain not to use fake products (or at least i hope so).

I'll start off with my 64mb Sony Duo stick which came with my K750i. The text on the front of the memory stick appears to be marked individually (unlike the Sony HK memory stick in Coxy's picture, whereby the text on the front of the stick appears to be printed on either a sticker, or as an entire picture). On the rear, the writing is engraved into the plastic.

The 32mb Sony Duo stick which came with my PSP is different. Whilst the print on the front is marked individually, on the rear the writing is NOT engraved into the plastic.

There we have 2 official UK sony products, which differ on the rear, one is engraved, the other is simply printed

I also have two Sandisk 512mb Duo sticks. Both are identical, both have the writing on the front of the stick printed individually. On the rear, both have their text printed. Both sticks are also very much similar in the grain of the plastic in comparison to the Sony sticks i have.

The difference is, the two 512mb Sandisk sticks are a sort of two-tone plastic, the rear of the memory stick is made from a much brighter blue than the top.

I also have a 1GB Sandisk duo stick. This is where it gets complicated. The stick has individually printed text on both sides, just like the Sony and Sandisk duos, however, the stick is much more faded than the 512mb Sandisk duos, and the plastic is noticably less grained- it has less texture and is much smoother to the touch.

There is also another difference. Of the Sandisk duo sticks i have, i also have 3 adaptors (to turn the Duo into a full sized memory stick). Two of the adaptors are identical in all ways, one of them has differently coloured text on it, its a much darker toned blue than the others. I cannot remember which adaptor came with which Sandisk duo stick. I also have a Sony adaptor, but nothing else to compare it to.

Ive no doubt they're all official Sony or Sandisk products (they all work perfectly and fit perfectly, they all came packaged perfectly etc), the entire point of this post im making is, is that there is the possibility of manufacturing differences depending on all sorts of variables. When was the stick made, which batch it came from, which factory made it, all sorts. I dont think anyone can offer conclusive facts unless their memory stick is obviously fake simply because it does not fit the device its meant to be used in.

Bah ! ?

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2006-03-23 11:17 ]
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-26 00:31
Both of the memory sticks in the picture, were infact fake.

So watch out guys!
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-03-26 04:48
so how did you know they were both fakes?
johny_dmonic
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-26 14:34
it's the packaging i think..it's 6 dot seals and not long rectangular seals..i myself bought a fake mspd once.. >_>
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-26 14:45
The one from the UK was originally from HK anyway, it stopped working after a while, and the letters wore off.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi