Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > Conversations per tower

Author Conversations per tower
porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-09-15 15:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here's good one. A mid level tech guy told me that, on average, ALL wireless phone towers in the USA can only have about 40 users connected at any one time. This blows my mind since it flys in the face of EVERYTHING I was taught about the way wireless works. I also find that real hard to believe. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this?
Picasosz
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-09-17 04:35
Basically being in the telecom business the towers have T-1 lines connected to them usually 3 to 4 per tower each T-1 has 24 channels (phone lines) that would be up to 100 simultaneous call. Actually 96 but my T68i's calculator does not calculate accuratly.
Where ever you go, There You Are
westside Slacker
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 19:41
Picasosz is correct talking about the T-1s and the capacity.. the only problem is there is no standard with how many T-1s are allocated for a site. Each carrier will run T-1s to a site depending on how busy they project the site would be. So some sites in busier areas will be able to hold more conversations. As for the amount of conversations per T-1 member.... I do not know.
porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-05 14:23
OK. Preciate the info. This revelation threw me, cause I was taught when I started in wireless that towers had hundreds if not thousands of channels. I know a bunch of other sales reps who were shocked by this new info. This will create a big prob as more people use wap and gprs.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi