Esato

Forum > General discussions > Announcements > free mobile msn, yahoo, icq IM, rss reader

12  Next
Author free mobile msn, yahoo, icq IM, rss reader
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-08 09:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi Guys,

I have noticed some posts regarding bluepulse in here, so I thought I would contribute to the community personally and update you guys with a couple of things.

1. For those that don't know, bluepulse is a free browserless portal that comes with a free interoperable instant messenger (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ) and a free RSS news reader. You can manage the RSS feeds from our website and then access them on your phone later.

2. When I say browserless portal, i am talking about a whole new way of accessing the internet on your mobile - something that is tightly integrated into your phones user interface - a way of accessing the mobile internet in a way that works on a mobile and tools that you would actually want to use on your mobile.

One of the guys that started Yahoo in Australia and New Zealand and I have been writing a really interesting blog over at http://bluepulseblog.blogspot.com/ which talks about what is wrong with the mobile internet and what bluepulse is trying to do to make it better.

3. We are wanting to build a global community of developers... If you can build a web page you can build a mobile application. Here is a snippet from our blog:

-------------
Using a subset of XHTML and our free SDK, platform and browserless portal, you can now build a mobile application and have it work immediately on millions of phones around the world today!

And for extra bonus points, you can use cheap wireless hardware using things like Bluetooth, to turn your mobile application into a location-based application.
--------------

So if you consider yourself to be a bit of a mobile enthusiast, check out our stuff... and please feel free to give me some feedback... i know the owner of bluepulse quite well.

http://www.bluepulse.com

cheers

Ben.

[ This Message was edited by: bennyk on 2005-11-08 08:14 ]
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 09:21
Can it be accessed via wap? I tried it and just couldnt connect.

This message was posted from a Nokia

bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-08 09:26
sweet, you have a w800i!!! me 2... guess what? when a MSN, Yahoo or ICQ message comes in your phone will ring and vibrate + you will be able to minimize bluepulse into the background of your phone.

WAP site is:

http://www.bluepulse.com/install/mobile/

BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 09:49
Seems kind of cool....do yahoo and msn come pre installed or do we have to buy credits for that?
The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same.
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-08 09:53
Yahoo, MSN, ICQ - the RSS news reader... all free and so is bluepulse...

We are trying to build a community of users and developers that want to access the mobile internet in a whole new way... sorry to throw the pitch in for that... but this service is really doing well for us in Australia... and i wanted to get people outside of Australia to try it out....

this has been a 4 year project trying to find better ways of accessing and doing things you would usually do on your computer on your mobile phone.
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 10:01
Ok....so other than msn etc what else can be done using this.... Btw, let me say that the appearance of your app. is really cool.....liked it at the first look....pretty neat work..
The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same.
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-08 10:25
thanks... a lot of work has gone into making it feel like other tools on your phone... tightly integrated with your phones menu structure etc.

other stuff; well it's a portal... so apart from the IM and the RSS reader which is pre-installed on the 'virtual desktop' that is launched when bluepulse opens... you can snap open the control panel or login via our website and browse through a number of applications that have been professionally built for the portal by partners...

have you built a website before? we give away a free SDK which you can use to build an application for the portal. Applications are easily created in a subset of XHTML. We then give you a keyword which you can share with friends so they can try out your application. One of the latest applications I have seen built is this tool that interfaces with Amazon.com... You open up this application, type in an ISBN number or the title of a book and it gives you a Synopsis... It is so cool that it will probably be listed in the control panel soon.... that is, if the developer allows it.

you may have read something in the press a while back which spoke of a bluetooth shopping centre in sydney, Australia.... this is an example of a NEBA application. (Network enhanced bluepulse application)

The way these work... is you install an application on the bluepulse desktop via the bluepulse control panel that is NEBA enabled. If your phone has Bluetooth, the NEBA can be enhanced using short-range Bluetooth or WiFI equipment. http://www.bluepulse.com/about/neba.php

This may sound complicated but its really, really easy...

So Broadway built this application that can be installed and used from pretty much anywhere in the world... when you walk into their shopping centre.. the application is enhanced by the local bluetooth environment, giving you directions around the centre, notification of friends that are close by, faster downloads and so on...

I have also seen some enthusiast developers build some really cool stuff using Bluetooth and the bluepulse SDK... for example: Guys that have built an enthusiast application that only them and their friends know about that lists out their dvd collections.. when they walk into their houses they can control their dvd player etc... lol

I will elaborate on any of this if you like... it's really interesting stuff.

Ohh and one more thing.. you know we have built MIDP1 (less than 64k in size), MIDP2, Symbian Series 60 V1 and V2 native bluepulse editions... More coming soon...

Most phones out there, will get a sweet experience...

[ This Message was edited by: bennyk on 2005-11-08 09:28 ]
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 11:12
Ok....how to get credits...and i am speaking of international users..
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-08 11:34
Currently, as an international user... the only way to get credits... is by using the same username and password you created when signing in the first time, on our website... www.bluepulse.com

Having said this, you probably won't need any credits as most of the international applications are free.
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-08 13:32
Ok....i think the only international applications r the messengers and rss news??
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-09 08:14
Yes, and the ring tone and wallpaper downloading services... but this is part of the reason why we are building a developer community...
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-09 10:15
Ok...but couldnt fig out on how to get wallpapers and tones ...
bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-09 10:25
Agghh... through the "Mymobile" application on the desktop.
RV06
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-23 18:16
Hello bennyk,

could you explain a bit more about these credits?
What are these for?

I'm a bit reluctant in trying it as the home page looks really commercial to me (all this stuff about buying credits, time limited offer for free credits, etc...).

bennyk
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-23 23:23
Hi RV06,

We are in the process of making the home page a bit less confusing... New site should be up in a few weeks.

You need credits to buy Australian content such as TV Guides and Movie guides. You are never forced or asked to purchase credits unless you try and install this content. As an international user their a 3 main benefits to you. A free instant messenger, RSS reader and the ability to make your own mobile widget type applications. None of this we are selling, it is all free.

Let me know if this does not make sense.

Ben.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi