Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson P990i live pics from the Smartphone show

Author Sony Ericsson P990i live pics from the Smartphone show
BrockenX
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thank you mr. masseur for that response.

Thats the only drawback i have with my p910i, Ill Gonna Buy that lovely phone once its available here in manila.

_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:32
What I notice is that the onscreen buttons are large, and even the menu entries are huge!
Seems to me this phone will be easy to use without a stylus -> just tap on the screen with a finger.
I love that!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:40
@_LAU_, indeed during the 20 minutes I spent with the second guy he didn't use the stylus at all
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:45
masseur,
maybe he never used a smartphone (with stylus) before too

I'm sure there is a Zoom setting somewhere, where the stylus lovers can reduce the size of those buttons and menus.

BTW, great report!
I would love to see more details on the new UIQ and embedded applications. Maybe next time.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:48
no, he worked for Sony Ericsson in the smartphone area since the days of the P800 so he said, so I'm sure he has used a stylus before

yeah, they really were not letting on much about applications and to be honest I don't think there will be much to talk about yet since the SDK isn't available to developers for another 2 weeks
adnhk1
P990
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 13:55
Hi masseur,

I realises P990 DOES NOT have our usual 2.5mm headphone jack... did you by any chance ask the SE guys with regards to this? I really hoped SE don't fall over to K series fast port as the phone is already big enough, a fast port will make it ever LARGER
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 14:00
that most definitly was a question I asked.

they had no accessories to show, and all the guy would say is that the connector is the same as that used on the K750 and W800, which you can see in the pics.

There is no other socket so if they do provide 2.5mm or 3.5mm compatibility it will have to be by way of somethnig similar to the HPM-70 that comes with the W800
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 14:34
Nice pics masseur.

No 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack is a _big_ step back for a phone of this caliber!

Also I was thinking .. no new announcements today?
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 14:57
Masseur,
Are you thinking in making some kind of first impressions review?
I mean, we are all hoping someone would collect all info and gather it in a page.
I've been reading the development PDF for the P990 in ...
http://developer.sonyericsson[....]ocstools/symbian/p_symbian.jsp
... and they talk a lot about software, supported codecs, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: _LAU_ on 2005-10-11 13:57 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 14:59
While I can answer some specific questions I think you can probably draw your own conclusions from my replies as to what my initial impression is. I never thought I would get another P series but this will be on my list for next year at which time I may make more detailed comment but I don't think I can do that right now with the limited info I have from today, sorry...
aquila2
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-11 15:03
ehm 990 is not bad but HTC wizard or i-mate k-jam is better. better screen, better and more mature OS, way better ergonomics (how many hands do one has to have to operate 990 ? does one has to be an octopus ? ) and not to mention, by the time p990 will hit the street, there will be Moto Q here, successor to k-jam, new 67xx line form HP, new nokia smartphones with wifi ...

this would be a bummer if it was in the shops right now, but Q1/2006 ? nothing special ...

and I totaly forget about the thing that there will be almost no software available for P990. it is a completely new platform. new programming schemes, new resolution, it is not even binary compatible... i.e. the programms need to be completely rewritten to be compatible ...

well MS WM 5.0 has everything by now .. skype works even on a smartphone i-mate SP5/M over wifi by now ...

[ This Message was edited by: aquila2 on 2005-10-11 14:05 ]
adnhk1
P990
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 15:15
Thanks masseur for your quick reply... This may be one big set back for us... wonder why SE chose such a large connector for an already big enough phone
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 15:18
@aquila2, your points are vaild but you forget the loyalty factor. Many people have moved through various P series phones, know them well, like the operation of them and would still choose to continue using the next p series regardless of the points you make. Many don't want to chop and change to whatever is the best each time they change devices. This is more a topic for the main (and more general) Sony Ericsson P990 discussion rather than this thread which is focussing on live photos and impressions from anyone who has handled the new P990

In regards to one issue. With the addition in windows mobile 5 of the soft keys I have noticed I am doing alot more on my k-jam with one hand, which is good. I was watching the guys operate the P990 this mornig and it was definitly a two handed deal.

btw, one of the buttons on the side under the jog dial is apparantly a "back" button which I understood was similar to the back button the the T series phones and would also work in Opera as a go to previous page button. This has apparantly been a popular request from users ni perference to pressnig the jog dial backwards.
natesaint
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 15:31
Were you able to see the difference in running applications in both flip open and flip closed mode?

Thanks btw!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 15:36
no, they showed me most things with the flip open and to be honest, in the limited time I had, I didn't think to ask about flip closed apps.

if I had thought about it and known I would have the full and individual attention of these guys I would have made a list of questions in advance but instead I was thinking up stuff as we went.

I'll know better next time

still... anyone going later or tomorrow can perhaps cover the missing topics as they seemed very keen to demonstrate

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-10-11 14:36 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic