Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Which phones have a full html browser, apart from smartphones?

12  Next
Author Which phones have a full html browser, apart from smartphones?
deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-09-28 08:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey guys! And girls of course. (gotta be politically correct these days) *wink* Anyway, as stated, i'd like to know what phones have a full html browser, or at least a really good browser, apart from smartphones. Thanks!

This message was posted from a Nokia

gavinwhitley
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-28 10:16
Yes. There is a browser. Infact probably several. I use Opera Mini which is supported by Java on the K750i. Excellent piece of software that is only supposed to be available in certain parts of Europe. If you google it, you'll be able to find a jar file which you can install on your phone and away you go. If you have an older phone, ensure you install the smaller version of the application.

Opera mini is very fast. Infact due to the way it accesses pages from a main server, it is faster than the symbian version of the application on a Nokia smartphone I had before.

Good luck
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-28 10:17
No current non smartphone i know of has a fully capable internal browser. (correct if wrong!!)

BUT

A java capable handset can use opera mini which i believe is an excellent browser for non smartphones.

Also, i believe some of the new phones announced by
(non smartphones) will be having Netfront (a web browser for phones) pre-installed.

Pretty cool!
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-09-28 11:08
Non smart phones have xhtml browsers. Apart from opera, many other java based browsers like pocket web are also available.

deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-09-28 12:26
I've actually tried some browsers that i downloaded from getjar.com, but it seems like there's some kinda configuration for data access i need that my service provider doesn't have. Hopefully opera mini doesn't require it. Does it?

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 08:00
opera mini requires the opera/operator proxy for downloading. the proxy pre-convert html pages to opera format. The phone opera mini program download these converted pages from proxy and display it.

Opera mini is good only for viewing html pages. You cannot really interact with it like a full browser.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:04
you can interact with it, it isnīt just for viewing

you cannot make downloads though, but that is just a matter of time...if they make a version for phones with jsr 75, like k750, files will be downloadable with opera mini
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:09
Have you tried oceanlake?

AASHISH
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:13
yeah oceanlake is a great proxy site ! I used it when i had SE T310 Instead of NOKIA 7610
deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:16
Oceanlake? How does that work? Thanks for all the useful info btw.

Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:20
I've been comparing Opera Mini to Opera Symbian, and imo Mini is pretty neat! Somehow it seems a lot faster than Symbian in areas where the gprs signal is weak, so whilst on holiday in the countryside i've been using it far more often than Symbian.

BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-09-29 11:22
Oceanlake is a gateway through which you can view html (web) pages. The disadvantage is that you cannot interact through it. You can just browse.

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-30 05:43
Quote:

On 2005-09-29 11:20:36, Kryptik wrote:
I've been comparing Opera Mini to Opera Symbian, and imo Mini is pretty neat! Somehow it seems a lot faster than Symbian in areas where the gprs signal is weak, so whilst on holiday in the countryside i've been using it far more often than Symbian.

opera mini is faster because the pages are compressed before the proxy site send to your phone. for general viewing opera mini is very good. For interactivity, there are some limitations related to scripts and online transactions.

another thing, you just have to keep your finger cross that the operator/proxy site would keep proxy free of charge.

Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-30 05:52
Exactly, i've been finding out it's nearly impossible to register on some sites because of the security issues. Having said that, i'm still finding it very comfortable to use as compared to the full version. Besides, full has very few extra features...

deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-09-30 06:35
hmm.. sounds like opera mini's the way to go huh? all the links i've tried so far don't seem to work though. got one of my friends to send me the files, so hopefully i'll be able to install. thanks for all the help!

This message was posted from a WAP device

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi