Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Dog- Mans best friend?

Previous  123 ... 111213 141516  Next
Author The Dog- Mans best friend?
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 12:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2005-09-08 12:28:47, 786KBR wrote:
These are the disadvantages of being a vegetarian! I still respect your choice and im not trying to change you, its just for you to think about.

inadequate milk production for nursing mothers, as well as retarded physical and mental development in some children who are strictly on a vegan or raw food diet;

slow metabolism leading to a much less robust lifestyle;

a general lack of vitality;

low body temperature (always cold);

a weak, touchy digestive system with a loss of digestive strength (unable to metabolize food quickly, have to be careful what you eat, how much, must practice food combining to be able to digest food, etc.);

food cravings (especially among women);

stalled weight loss because metabolism is too low (predominately in women);

inability to gain weight, resulting in shrunken, cadaverous-looking bodies (predominately in men);

weight gains from overeating on carbohydrates;

amenorrhea (menstrual cycles cease), even in young women;

loss of libido;

hair loss and nail problems;

dental cavities, tooth loss, and gum problems;

joint pain;

inability to conceive

Thanks for letting me know!
But here are some of the advantages as well..

a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables but excluding animal fat and protein offers numerous health benefits, including a significantly lower risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, cancer, kidney failure and stroke. The American Dietetic Association, the largest organization of nutrition professionals, states on its website "Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer." The American Heart Association's website states "Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer." Studies show that a vegetarian mother's breast milk has significantly lower levels of pesticide than a non-vegetarian one's.

A myth used to exist that vegetarians had to mix proteins to get all the essential amino acids. This argument has been debunked, as vegetarians get all the protein and amino acids they need from eating a normal variety of whole grains (whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice), beans, nuts, and soy (tofu, veggie burgers/hotdogs, etc). But the intake of such foods has to be large since the protein percentage in these foods are comparitively lower than in a similar serving of meat. A purely vegetarian diet does not include fish - a major source of Omega 3, though some plant-based sources of it exist such as soy, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, canola oil and especially, walnuts.

I am not trying to prove you wrong!
May the power of google be with you and me!!

T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 12:52
Guy in this whole thread I kinda knew what your reply would be! And again I knew what you would post,

Those advantages are were mainly found and tested with 'white folk!!!!' You are Indian, our cooking styles and delicious spicy ingredients will be to your detriment!!!
Heart disease, coronary vein thingys... masalas and sunflower oil is still gonna do that to you! ....

So now you losing out on all the benefits of meat (in my previous post) and losing out on the most beneficial aspects of being a vegan!!

ps, Im still not trying to change you or disrespect you in any way.
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 12:57
Since you knew what my reply would be, Why did you bother to post? And the statistics you gave doesn't mention whether it is applicable for "whites" or people of other races!
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Ayush
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:02
@786 just from where did u get your facts from?

some of the greatest athletes and men in the world are vegetarian.

Veg food is healthy. beleive it. our ancestors were actually vegetarians! (apes, chimps, monkeys)
Ayush
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:04
Coz its for everbody!
Im sure you know our diet is the most unhealthy in the world! - And its mainly coz of our ingredients and the way we cook?
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:09
I definitely do not think "our" diet is unhealthy! Veggie brahmans are as healthy as meat eating muslims here! Nothing more. Nothing less. I never commented about the heath benefits veggies have over non-vegies! You started it.. my argument is only about the killing of animals for food when we have other options.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:11
Quote:

On 2005-09-08 13:04:41, 786KBR wrote:
Coz its for everbody!
Im sure you know our diet is the most unhealthy in the world! - And its mainly coz of our ingredients and the way we cook?

edit. @Ayush, thats another topic!! Im not gona start again, I know vegys are good for you i also like them sometimes and its recomended we have a BALANCED diet. How do you balance a vegy diet?
on you nose? ()-joke()

@whizz

I agree with you 110%, killing dogs for food is wrong, I just dont get affected by seeing pictures of wierd and yucky things...
If I had to smell it maybe.

[ This Message was edited by: 786KBR on 2005-09-08 12:16 ]
Ayush
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:22
killing of any living creature is bad.

think
Ayush
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 13:27
@786, i'm not repulsive to gory scenes and have witnessed many such incidents. Especially in a city like bombay where atleast 10 people die everyday under a suburban train. I've even been to a post mortem room with my medicine student friend witnessing e fresh post-mortem. So i can assure you, its not the pictures that affected me. Those pictures for the first time gave me the "push" to think about animals suffering and their needless killing.

[ This Message was edited by: whizkidd on 2005-09-08 12:29 ]
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 14:29
I dont see why ALL animal killings are bad, just because you saw some butchered dogs.

I posted something about bottled dead baby fetuses sold in supermarkets earlier, didnt want to post the pics coz its disgusting!!! But im tempted, just to find out how you wud react to those pics!!??
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 14:43
@786, i never said ALL Animal killings are bad. Killing an animal for food or to make use of its body parts for human consumption while we have other comparitively humane means is bad is what i said all along.... Let me repeat, a lion killing an "innocent" deer is not bad or cruel, its natural..
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 14:48
So should farmers sedate an animal and then kill it???

whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-08 14:57
How do farmers sedate an animal? I don't know. You explain!
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 15:15
go google it!
Ayush
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 15:59
786, why the need to kill it at all?