Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > Ericsson should have merged with nokia instead of sony

123  Next
Author Ericsson should have merged with nokia instead of sony
|||XerXes®|||
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 09:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What do you guys think? I think Ericsson wld have been a much betta phone if they had merged with nokia instead of sony...Sony is relatively new to the phone market whereas Nokia has been ard for a long time...
chrisgray999
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-30 09:39
I dont think it wouldve worked, cos ericsson and nokia have different views on the market. Good thought though, i wonder what might have happened if they did that?! Chris www.plusmedia.tk

This post was posted from a T65

|||XerXes®|||
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 09:44
well nokia cld have helped out ericsson with the software and who knows ericsson might share some of nokia's positive pts such as 4000+ colour screen,polyphonic ringtones and user friendly software.And in return nokia cld share many of ericsson's high tech features.They both benefit frm each other
chrisgray999
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-30 09:51
Hmmm good point. Only 2 problems: 1: the competition in the market would go because the two main companies had merged, and 2: what the hell would they be called? Erinok? Nokiaericsson? Lol :-) chris www.plusmedia.tk

This post was posted from a T65

Oblomov
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-30 10:01
I'm not sure that Nokia would have been a good
merge-partner.

N. has a so much larger slice of the market ~35% versus Ericsson's ~5% that I think that the Ericsson brand would just disappear and Nokia would have continued with business as usual happily knowing that there would be one competitor less...
And for the use of Ericsson technology, I think that there would be a great risk for the "not invented here" syndrome

/H
esoqq
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 10:05
Sony have maybe been in the market for longer than you realise. The first mobile phone that I got back in 1992 was a Sony. That was at a time when the biggest UK electrical retailer (Dixons) only sold one mobile phone model - and this was it! I agree that Sony weren't making "type 3" business phones in the 1980s like Nokia and Ericsson, but these were such different machines.

Imagine what the P800 might have been like if it was NokiaEricsson not SonyEricsson. No jog dial, no memory expansion, maybe no touch sensitive screen. Instead, it'd probably have changeable covers and a screen that'd keep failing. Hmmm...
ShawO
S700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 10:43
just thinking of it gives me the jitters!
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 11:30
nokia will just transfer bugs to Ericsson instead of technology
Oblomov
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-30 11:46
According to this article in Swedish Mobil, is Ericsson quite prepared to stop the co-operation with Sony if it is not profitable within the next few quarters...

http://www.mobil.se/nyheter/visa.asp?id=5544&sid=1

/H
Wings_Talons
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 11:49
Quote:

On 2002-08-30 11:46, Oblomov wrote:
According to this article in Swedish Mobil, is Ericsson quite prepared to stop the co-operation with Sony if it is not profitable within the next few quarters...

http://www.mobil.se/nyheter/visa.asp?id=5544&sid=1

/H

If it does so, then Ericsson won't survive for too long. Its already under huge loss and continues to be a loss making business.
|||XerXes®|||
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 11:53
Well lets jus hope such athing dosent happen...But if it does then i guess ericsson shld merge with Nokia...When nokia and ericsson merge together...there will be a total domination of the phone market...nokia and ericsson will be unmatched...nokia can continue producing hps for kids and ericsson can continue producing phones for the high end users and they both will enjoy sharing technology frm each other...and as for what they will call themself...they shld name their products XerXes.... well atleast it sounds better then nokisson etc etc...
all8
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 12:05
Isn't bad enough to have one " Bill Gates" in Software Industry? Why do we need to create another "Bill Gates" in telecommunication industry?

viper_2090
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 12:16
@all8,

Good point mate. We don't want another monopoly on our hands, it would kill all the other mobile companies which will mean we would loose some perhaps innovative designs and breakthroughs
Nick
kapitan jackal
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 12:43
Ericsson will not merge with nokia in this lifetime. that will be stupid. dont we think ericsson did not thought of that? and for nokia, well if they just can buy ericsson in any price, they will.

we have to remember that sony "buys-out" ericsson because of their unprecedented and continuous loss.

nokia, if they can and if given a chance will force everybody in teh market to merge with him. (short term for monopoly) but ericsson would not do that because they already have a market (too small though) and a brand.

sony will help ericsson to "pump up" its capital' and to 're-brand' thier products. (japanese branding #1 in asia). ericsson is doing well in europe, but nothing in asia-pacific (were nokia dominates)

as of technology, nokia will not create a phone based on a ericsson blueprint (they just dont think and work like that) simply because if they did, their fate will be the same with ericsson.

that why i admire how nokia sell thier products (or thier brand), in the case of ericsson, well they the best phones, but they dont know how to sell it.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-31 16:04
nokia is more a brand an difirent design then ericsson, i like ericsson more and alsow the navigation and the menu. its clear and simple and has got more to offer then ericsson. ok nokia has got some good things 2 but so do most of the brands.
yes sony has been on the market for a long time. the first phone whit internal antenna was a sony and not the nokia 3210. i know because my dad had one a few mounths before the 3210 came out.
if nokia would ever team up they would choose siemens they are about the same about design. there is actually no great partner for ericsson, i don't think this thing whit sony will do much good. for sony they would've better choosen alcatel. but thats what i think
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi