Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > The Official Esato's Phone Camera Shootout Competition January 2014: "Capture the moment"

Previous  123 ... 678 ... 101112  Next
Author The Official Esato's Phone Camera Shootout Competition January 2014: "Capture the moment"
9_Destiny
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-27 20:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ cupcake

I think it’s not just matter of interpretation. I’ve share my opinion of your picture in terms of what we can see, not what we might see. I agree with goldenface and others. Considering validity of picture in this month’s theme we need to focus on what picture presents, not on what it might present.

Talking about flying birds or people who was walking few moments ago in my opinion is sensless because all of those elements are not the part of the picture. An agrument with camel in front of the static pyramids which could appear after taking the shot is a very good example of our discussion.

I’m sorry cupcake. I didn’t want to hurt your feelings but in your picture there are no elements which are going to change the scenery showing the beauty of the moment. Blaming others or lack of strong guidelines in my opinion is not a solution. Theme was simple. Other contestants had no problems with fitting their pictures into this month’s theme. You’ve got still 2 attempts to use before tomorrow’s midnight. Maybe you can find some other picture taken in January.
[ This Message was edited by: 9_Destiny on 2014-01-27 19:25 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-27 21:26
@mochuothp

is that a woman giving birth to a garden floodlight in a standing doggy position?!
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
cupcake30
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-01-27 21:34
Yes the theme was simple and again back to my original point everyone's interpretation will be different.

The criteria for the topic was:

You need to capture the scene which is somehow dynamic, spontaneous and different from it was a moment ago. It could be someone’s smile, specific pose, some kind of movement or anything which shows the beauty of the moment. Hope that you'll like the new theme

1. My picture was spontaneous, and different to what it was minutes before
2.The Water, branches and leaves have movement
3.The scene itself Shows the beauty of the moment

My photo fitted the criteria!

Anyway Again... we will agree to disagree
[ This Message was edited by: cupcake30 on 2014-01-28 06:58 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-01-27 22:37

On 2014-01-27 00:35:43, hihihans wrote:
@etaab Please calm down. I mentioned it because of pics like the Rainbow in "Lots of ... " it would be valid this month. There have been comments that the theme should be visible in the photo, there fore I asked.
All I see is a quiet lake and it's hard to believe that a submarine will come above in a minute. If it did she should have capture that. Your photo has the movement with those ducks.

The rainbow in the winning picture of "Lots of them" did not qualify as there was no separately pronounced objects or items. I wrote cupcake30's introduction in that months theme for her and I specifically said that there must be at least 5 visible of each item in the picture.

So what other lame way can you interpret that picture ? there were lots of blades of grass ? lots of tiny stones dotted along the road ? show me FIVE specific items or objects in that picture which are the whole point and match the theme. You cannot. Absolutely ridiculous !

No offence to Slywester, that was a very nice 808 picture but it had no place in the competition that month.

As for a submarine when did cupcake say there was a submarine appeared ??? What dutch pot are you smoking today then !?!

On 2014-01-27 20:22:35, 9_Destiny wrote:
@ cupcake

I think it’s not just matter of interpretation. I’ve share my opinion of your picture in terms of what we can see, not what we might see..

..but in your picture there are no elements which are going to change the scenery showing the beauty of the moment. Blaming others or lack of strong guidelines in my opinion is not a solution. Theme was simple.

Wrong, it is a matter of interpretation. Some interpretations are really obvious and in your face, others are subtle and often less obvious and then in other occasions there is no interpretation at all - such as the one I have a beef with as ive just mentioned.

The point you clearly missed in cupcake's picture is, as you say, the beauty of the moment. I was there that day when she took the picture, I also took the same picture. The water may look still in the picture, but it was anything but still. The trees may not have much foliage on it, but they were constantly moving as there was a very cold January breeze blowing through. The beauty of the moment here is the serenity of the image. Its a shame she didn't upload a picture of the same scene but with other people's kids and dogs running through it, but to me that would have been an uglier picture.

This all comes down to the same point im pushing here. This competition is not consistent. The rules change every month depending on who you are. I bet if 9_Destiny had taken cupcake's photo, nothing would have been said about it and it would have been considered one of the best.

Like I said the competition has become a farce. It seems that almost every month one member has a beef with the winning image or that their image wasn't close to winning. Its become ridiculous, predictable, farcical and not worth bothering with for anyone wanting to have a fair competition.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-27 23:57
And again the old Esato phone camera competition story... *yawn*
It all leads to this, friends becoming foes, taking sides.
I will not take a side but I think for any competition the rules need to be laid out. And now, the rules are a little loose it seems.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 00:19
You'll have to take my word for it that it's nothing personal.
I agree that the rules were a bit loose but ever since the Rainbow incident I try to look closer on what pic is valid and which is not. Someone even suggested that you had to be able to guess the theme by looking at the photo, that would be to strict for me. I have a big imagination and if the photo does not fit in my opinion I ask. That's it. That's what happened.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-28 00:21
What's wrong with the competition host for that month being the judge as to whether the fits? The judgement only been able to be over ruled by unanimous agreement among everyone else who can be bothered to have an opinion.

If that isn't the rules on validity then it should be. The right of the validity of a photo within surely goes with the territory of deciding the theme in the first place.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 00:27
Yep
NOZ
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 02:56
This is my entry

Original
[ This Message was edited by: hihihans on 2014-01-28 23:51 ]
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 04:41
I share the same opinion with Ricky D.

The theme starter has the right to judge whether the photo is valid or not for the competition, after all, the theme starter was the previous winner and had earned the rights to pick the next theme and set it's guidelines apart from the general rule that pictures are to be taken this month and with a cameraphone.

The only time it gets overruled would be if majority of the esato members disagree with the theme starter, which in this case it's not.

It would be a mess if one would force their entry that it's their interpretation, when pretty much everyone has their own interpretation which will defeat the purpose of having a "theme", which is why there should be a control, and that control goes to the theme starter.

@NOZ

Nice entry!
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-01-28 03:43 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 05:23
OK, here are my 2cents

@etaab:
You're standing up for your girlfriend, and being a woman myself, I love that!
But it also means, you're emotionally involved and that usually doesn't do discussions any good, nor, in this case, does it help cupcake30.
This is the main reason, why my husband always refused to join Esato and the photo competition, even though he's the "phoneographer" in our family .

I agree with you in the case of the rainbow, excellent photo, but it had nothing to do with that month's theme. But people see a photo they like and vote for it, not always with the theme in mind.

@ All:

As this competition has been running for several years now, we're running out of "simple" themes, like "flowers" or "red", so we're getting more complex themes and they usually leave more room for different interpretations. Stricter rules could possibly help, but only to a certain point, different people have different opinions, no way to avoid that.
So, as cupcake30 said, we'll have to "agree tot disagree".

I agree with several other posters here, that, when there are doubts about the validity of an entry, the theme starter should have the last word, as he/she knows best, what he had in mind, when thinking about that particular theme.

Oh, and let's not forget, this competition should be "fun"
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2014-01-28 05:10 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 12:11
You know what they say -- "opinions are like A$$HOLES, everybody's got one".... When it comes down to it though, I think it should only be the opinion of the OP that matters in deciding if an entry is valid or not..... not a moderator, not the collective or even via vote.... It all ends where it started and the OP gets final say [period] [addsig]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-28 12:40
[low_whisper]
fight! fight! fight! fight!
[/low_whisper]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 13:06

On 2014-01-28 12:40:59, Ricky D wrote:
[low_whisper]
[/low_whisper]

The Chinese smog has gotten into your system, Ricky.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2014-01-28 17:55

On 2014-01-28 12:40:59, Ricky D wrote:
[low_whisper]
[/low_whisper]

"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 101112  Next