Previous  123 ... 678 ... 451452453  Next
Author Sony Ericsson P990 discussion
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nitrowing,
As far as we are concerned, the bundled 64 MB MS is worthless.
BUT even if it was a 256 MB MemorySitck, people would still buy a 1 or 2 GB MS to go with the phone !!!
So, stop complaining about the 64 MB. This way you have an afordable phone and buy a MemoryStick the size you want!

getagrip15
K790
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:18
From the video this thing looks slow slow slow!! Screen size kills it for me though. The biggest draw of the P series has been cut back for a keyboard that many won't use. The 5way button on the flip looks nice... but why the balls did they use the same old P900 keypad design. Don't they have any NEW ideas?? All in all, this will probably be a nice phone. I just don't think i'll be able to get over it's subpar looks. Oh, it looks like a brick too. May be the same size and weight as the other P series phones, but it looks huge.

On a side note, why is this in the general topic area??

[ This Message was edited by: getagrip15 on 2005-10-10 14:20 ]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:20
It says in the release that it has been announced today (obviously as part of the Symbian show) to allow developers time to produce apps for it. Remember, UIQ 2 apps won't work!

I agree about the comment about people always hating SE designs until they're seen in the flesh. I thought that with the K600 but it's possibly one of the nicest 3G phones to hold/use (shame about the lack of memory expansion).

Compared to Windows Mobile 5, which I'm having to use with a 3G MDA Pro on T-Mobile, I can't see how UIQ 3 won't be a success. It will have Opera 8 that will be amazing, whereas the MDA Pro/Universal/XDA Exec/M5000 etc has Internet Explorer which is AWFUL. I always liked email on the P910, and on the MDA you can virtually crash the device if you have any problems with opening a mailbox (it effectively slows everything down to a crawl until the server times out - which could be 5 minutes or so). Microsoft simply don't learn. I bet UIQ will handle WiFi connections better too.

As for Q1 and March. My guess is that people have assumed all companies say Qx and mean the very last day. It's often true, but I think it's a little unfair unless Sony Ericsson have specifically said March. I think there will be product out there before then, but one decider will be how much software is available. If every developer hurries up, then I am sure there won't be much more development work needed to the hardware itself.

Finally, 64MB cards are cheap.. but putting a 128, 256 or 512 would be silly as not everyone will want to use it for music/video.

When I got my W800i, I immediately purchased a 1GB card.. so now I have a 512MB sitting in a drawer (theoretically, I could carry it as a spare for pictures I suppose). It would be a silly idea to bundle a large card when most PDAs, smartphones and even digital cameras come with a tiny card - or NO card.

As stated above, you are free to choose the right card for the job, and 1GB cards are now pretty cheap (and will be VERY cheap come Q1, thanks in part to PSP sales). 2GB cards are likely to be UKP70-80 next year, and then we have 4GB and above on the horizon.

Jonathan Morris,
Technology Editor
What Mobile Magazine
www.whatmobile.net

[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2005-10-10 14:29 ]
korbindallis
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:23
i dont get it whats all the fuss !

i love this phone
like the colour and i am not goin to remove the flap i like it with the flap it look smart

mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:24
This question has been asked so many times and there is only 6 pages of discussion. I would like to ask those people that have asked the question whether they read the first post in the thread. The press realease says the phone is being announced so early so that developers can have enough time to port/redevlope their apps for the new UI. Notice that SE haven't really announced what apps will be coming in the box and since they usually provide quite a few it does make sense for them to give the developers a head start.

On an opinion side, I like the phone and the design. My only dissapointment was the fact that it wasn't as small as it was rumored and that the memory coming with it isn't that much. For the memory thing I've accepted the reasoning of that you'll probably buy a bigger MSDP anyways so why waste a 128/256MB card when you'd probably at least want 512MB, of course they could've just bundled a 512MB card.
I don't want a signature anymore.
deuxani
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:27
Exactly what he ^^ said.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:31
Quote:

On 2005-10-10 15:10:34, skhuu wrote:
Why do they announce something now and make it available about four months later?

To make it possible for UIQ 2.x developers to adjust their apps to UIQ 3.x in time to the release of P990.

Quote:

On 2005-10-10 15:10:34, skhuu wrote:
By that time, I would have seen a lot of different phones and the interest would have decreased.

I think you are fooling your self my friend. All manufacturers announce their new phones a couple of month before release date. Nokia N series for instance was announced in Q2 and released in Q3/Q4.

There are currently to my knowledge no known supprises from other manufacturers. All their flagships has already been announced with release dates by the ond of this year. Whatever new advanced devices (not dumb phones) their may have in pipe will most probably not be announce until later this year or beginning of next and released perhaps Q2 next year (after P990).

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2005-10-10 14:35 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:37
Quote:

On 2005-10-10 14:43:57, Arne Anka wrote:
I think you are in minority here claiming the old P910 keyboard was a good solution. You may have second thoughts about the one implemented on P990. But it is definitely more ergonomic and useful than the one provided by the P910 IMO.

The only person I know that has tested P990 at magazine Mobile.se says the new keyboard is much easier and better to use than then one on P910. So give it a try and you may change your mind.

The P990 screen is 2.76" compared to 2.8" for P910 (0.04" difference) . I doubet anyone can notice such small difference in reality, especially since it is compensated by larger resoluition.

I never said the new keyboard is worse... I said that it isn't much better. I've tried the Treo keyboard which is a lot bigger, and easier to type with... I'm presuming even more so than the P990 due to the larger keys. But even then, it wasn't worth losing screen size over... or the sleekness of the phone with the keypad removed... or the servicability of the keypad without having to crack open the phone.

The main problem with the keyboard is that it isn't as versatile as Jot. Try typing a long message with a lot of email addresses and accented characters. If the keyboard software is anything like the current P910, then I'd rather stick with Jot. Typing numbers and email addresses is a pain since you have to keep pressing the 123 or shift.. or multi-tap the keys just to get an accented character. What made it worse is that now, you can't even remove the keyboard if you don't like it. That was the great thing about the P910... those that wanted a keyboard, had one... those that didn't could remove it. Since there is no cursor control on the keypad (like on the Treo), you now have to stop typing... pull out the stylus... tap on a new field... replace the stylus... then go back to typing. Wow... very well thought out. No different from the current P910..except now you're stuck with the keypad.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind the current half-baked keyboard, IF they placed a d-pad/trackpad behind the numeric keypad (so you have full control even without the stylus) That's the only thing that would make that keyboard useable. Without access to a d-pad.. you'll have to pull the stylus out anyway.

Another thing they could've done (in light with the origami thing Sony has going with it's Vaio) is make the keypad reversible... numeric on one side... flip & rotate to have the keypad. Takes up the same amount of space... allows preferred positioning of the keys... and still makes it removeable and increases screen size. They didn't have to fix that fugly, cheap keypad to the phone.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 15:45
I bought an i-mate SP5 this weekend because I was getting tired of waiting on SE. It's going back now.

Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:02
@jplacson

I understand your point. But at the same time for those who prefer the keyboard rather than the hand writing recognision (or something else), this solution provides a better ergonomic (the phone is more stable and not as flimpsy as P910).

For your second idea, while the idea may sound great you have to ask your self:

- Is it technically possible to implement without changing e.g. physical aspects.
- Is it possible to manufacture (even if the can be designed, its not sure it can be manufacture due to too complex design).
- How much would such increased complexity cost (and how much can we charge the consumer).
- Do we want even more moving parts ?

etc. etc.

Sometimes things that look obvious and simple are not that obvious and simple on the drawing board as they may appear to be.

But still an interesting idea anyway.

Just a thought.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:03
Without the keyboard the phone would probably be the same size anyway.
Have you tried to count the amount of new hardware that is in this phone compared with the P910?
Just a few: wi-fi, 3G, FM radio, 3D Gfx Accelerator, (etc)
On top of that you still have to have a good battery, or else it will die in your hands after a couple of hours of use.
One thing for sure, playing games with the new 3D accelerator and keyboard will be sweet!
harj_matha
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:13
Hello everyone

Whilst I log onto this forum on nearly a daily basis, historically, I do not post any comments. However, in view of the posts in this thread, I am compelled to ask a very simple question - why the vitriolic damnation of a product?

Sony Ericsson manufactures phones, yourselves and I buy phones. If you don't like the product, you don't buy it!

Bemoaning the virtues (or lack of!) of this phone does not sway a global enterprise like Sony in any way. If the phone is not "fit for purpose" go look elsewhere. If you can compromise on certain features, do so. If you are happy with what is on offer, buy it.

Life is very simple, don't complicate it!

p.s. I hate the keyboard and the fact it is not wireless g compatible, but I am in the "compromise camp" and want it.......BADLY!!!!!!!!!!
zusstin
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:42
Does this mean SE is going to put up the next next thing *after p990* much sooner than usual?

Yeah, that keyboard somehow strikes a wrong chord in the beginning.. whats the size of keyboard?

The press release mentions "2.8 inch QVGA touch screen"... and then it mentions "bright TFT screen"... I am not sure I understand the difference- if any/.

64 MB or no 64 MB card, I know I will take this.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:45
Like many posters I've not been suprised by the negative comments about the P990.

What do people actaully expect?

A flying saucer that can organise your life, make dinner, get you noticed by the opposite sex and still handle phone calls, video/music playback?

Once the phone ships early next year expect people to come on here gloating how much they love their P990s.

Liar liar pants on fire/ You burning up like David Koresh- Ghostface Killah
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 16:46
There are quite a few screenshots of UIQ 3 at this link if it hasn't already been posted before. I'm not able to upload them as images from here sorry:

http://www.uiq.com/releaseove[....]scription%20October%202005.pdf
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 451452453  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic